Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new monitor advice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dsteeley

dsteeley

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:04 AM

Hi all, I am about to build my first PC using the components below.  I’m based in the uk, male and soon to be 65yrs old (In case it is relevant).  I’m looking to buy a monitor to go with this build but as usual I feel I am over thinking it.  I do not game, enjoy just surfing, YouTubing, streaming videos and watching DVDs. My choice would be a 27” IPS full or 2K monitor.  I am willing to pay up to £270 but would prefer it not to be too much more than £200 if possible (or even lower).  I do want a good display though.  I’m confused about either 1080 Full HD or 2650x1440 2K.  Some opinions I’ve seen on Y’Tube say you must have 2K if using a 27 or above monitor or you will see a poor display, but obviously these are more expensive, although I would be willing to buy one if it were going to make a great difference.  I do not intend to use a graphics card but just onboard graphics.  I like to thin bezel monitors best and have mainly looked at AOC, BENQ and ASUS.  I would love to hear your comments especially if based on experience.

Thanks

Dave

G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Intel - Pentium G4600 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor

Gigabyte - GA-H270-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case

Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Windows 10 Home 32 bit/64 bit English International | PC | USB Flash Drive

Lite-On - iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

I purchased this monitor for my father and I have three of these on my desk.

Those that talk about 2K monitors for 27" monitors probably aren't over 40.  Those of us over 40 need things as big as we can so that we can see them properly.  A higher resolution means that everything displayed will be smaller.  While you can increase the size it isn't the natural size and can look blurry, stretched or skewed.

#3 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:19 AM

Hi Kilroy, many thanks for your reply, your information is very useful.  i think I will now go for a 1080 IPS model.

Thanks again 

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users