Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 nightmare

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 Kallin

Kallin

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:08 AM

Hi all,

A few years ago I bought a laptop, a HP ENVY 17 Notebook, and updated from Windows 8 to 10 when they offered the free upgrade. I bitterly regret this decision, I have never had so many problems with any form of device, ever.

Some backstory: I am a music producer who also studies 3D modeling and -animation. I also sometime perform live, making it even more critical that the system works as intended. However, I don't know what is up with this thing, currently I am spending half my time actually making music and half the time trying to fix any new error that has occured. So now I'm making one last try before I buy a new computer (which I can't afford), I really need this to run as smoothly as possible. The problem is that when I fix any issue, it sooner or later comes back. A selection of the issues:

* Slow startup. I have the same problems as some other Win 10 users have, very slow startup and when Windows finally starts, I get a blank desktop for a few minutes before I actually can do anything. Then the computer always runs very slow for a few minutes before I can actually use it. I think that for me it has to go with the graphics drivers. However, updating the drivers don't help and I do need the NVIDIA card for 3d modeling:

Capture.jpg

* As you may or may not have seen on the pic above: blur. I have a monitor connected to the laptop when I'm at my desk, and nowadays I can't do any screen shots, at all (with the snipping tool, nor with print screen). I have tried different things, such as installing this, but nothing helps.

* Perhaps the biggest issue of all for me as a music producer, severe sound issues. Loud snaps and crackles which come just randomly, delayed, distorted sound, sometimes Windows is showing sound output but not the sound card etc etc. I used to have a Scarlett 2i2, and now have a MOTU Microbook IIc. I have been in contact with the support of both companies for almost 2 years (!) now, and they are just scratching their heads, trying to come up with a solution. Since I have had problems with both audio units, I think it's safe to say that something must be wrong on the computer side. 

Capture2.jpg

The Default format locks itself so I can't change it, this is seemingly random. Also I always uncheck the boxes under Exclusive mode, but they go back whenever I restart the computer.

There are also other things but I guess I start here, sorry for the messy post but if anyone can give any tips on at least where to start, I would be very grateful! 

Edited by Kallin, 18 December 2017 - 05:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:15 AM

You do have the opportunity to go back to Windows 8.1 if the computer came pre-installed with it but you would need to reinstall all your programs. On any OEM computer that came pre-installed with 8 or 8.1 the key is in firmware and will auto-activate once online.

You can also do a full clean reinstall of Windows 10, but again, you would need to reinstall all programs.

Edit: This computer looks like it has two graphics adapters, intel and Nvidia. Perhaps the Windows drivers Microsoft supplies for Windows 10 cannot take advantage of this hybrid system. Special drivers for these dual adapters are provided by the OEMs themselves.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 December 2017 - 09:18 AM.

#3 Kallin

Kallin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:13 AM

You do have the opportunity to go back to Windows 8.1 if the computer came pre-installed with it but you would need to reinstall all your programs. On any OEM computer that came pre-installed with 8 or 8.1 the key is in firmware and will auto-activate once online.

You can also do a full clean reinstall of Windows 10, but again, you would need to reinstall all programs.

Edit: This computer looks like it has two graphics adapters, intel and Nvidia. Perhaps the Windows drivers Microsoft supplies for Windows 10 cannot take advantage of this hybrid system. Special drivers for these dual adapters are provided by the OEMs themselves.

Hi,

Yeah, I don't think that's possible anymore. I did a restore, and then another time where I did a complete clean install, but no difference. 

When it comes to the graphics adapters, yes, this is apparently a known problem. But no matter how I update, deactivate or reinstall them, it's still the same.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:22 AM

When you did a complete install was this Windows 10? You may have better performance going back to 8.1.

#5 Kallin

Kallin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

Yeah, this was Windows 10. And to be honest, I will go and buy a new computer before I reinstall everything again. Took me a week to get all my music stuff in order again after the last time...

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:50 PM

I'm not a big fan of Windows 10 because of the fact they label it a "service" and their intention to do two major upgrades per year which is an approx 4GB download. After each major upgrade there is always a chance some hardware will cease to function. At least with Windows 8 or 7 I know the hardware will work until their end of life. 2020 for Windows 7 and 2023 for Windows 8.1.

From Microsoft:

Applies to Windows 10 Home, Pro, Education and Enterprise editions. Windows 10 Mobile and Mobile Enterprise editions have no extended support period. All Windows 10 editions are managed via the Windows as a Service (WaaS) model: Updates are cumulative, with each update built upon all of the updates that preceded it. A device needs to install the latest update to remain supported. Updates may include new features, fixes (security and/or non-security), or a combination of both. Not all features in an update will work on all devices. A device may not be able to receive updates if the device hardware is incompatible, lacking current drivers, or otherwise outside of the Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (“OEM”) support period. Update availability may vary, for example by country, region, network connectivity, mobile operator (e.g., for cellular-capable devices), or hardware capabilities (including, e.g., free disk space). For more information, see the Microsoft Lifecycle FAQ. For the latest on Windows 10 releases, see Windows 10 release information.

The big question is "What is the OEM support period". 

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 December 2017 - 01:03 PM.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:22 PM

From Microsoft:

Applies to Windows 10 Home, Pro, Education and Enterprise editions. Windows 10 Mobile and Mobile Enterprise editions have no extended support period. All Windows 10 editions are managed via the Windows as a Service (WaaS) model: Updates are cumulative, with each update built upon all of the updates that preceded it. A device needs to install the latest update to remain supported. Updates may include new features, fixes (security and/or non-security), or a combination of both. Not all features in an update will work on all devices. A device may not be able to receive updates if the device hardware is incompatible, lacking current drivers, or otherwise outside of the Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (“OEM”) support period. Update availability may vary, for example by country, region, network connectivity, mobile operator (e.g., for cellular-capable devices), or hardware capabilities (including, e.g., free disk space). For more information, see the Microsoft Lifecycle FAQ. For the latest on Windows 10 releases, see Windows 10 release information.

The big question is "What is the OEM support period". 

No snark intended, but it's whatever the OEM says it is.

There's already one class of processor, clover-something if memory serves, that was fairly recent but that the maker has decided not to issue any further updates for which makes it impossible for ongoing versions of Windows 10 to be upgraded on it.

Microsoft doesn't write the drivers for the vast majority of hardware, but depends on the various makers to supply them with said drivers for inclusion in the Windows Update library (for lack of a better way of saying it).   This was a huge problem in the early days of Windows 10 as many manufacturers seemed to want to ignore it was being released, even though Microsoft made it clear long before the release date when that would be, and they did not update a number of drivers until after Windows 10 went live and some of the existing drivers would not work with the OS architecture changes involved.

I saw a lot of the same thing as well in the assistive technology that I work with.  The some of the companies that produce it simply would not be proactive and work on Windows 10 in pre-release and it was a nightmare for a while afterward as a result.  It was one of the reasons that MS did the whole "free upgrade extension for assistive technology users" offer.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

Hi, you do not appear to be enjoying your computing experience very much, I am sorry this is the case. Many of use find windows ten to be by far the best OS. 

Lets see if we can help you. Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated command prompt will open. Copy ALL the text in the following cmd, and right click anywhere in the cmd prompt window and select "paste" the cmd will append to the prompt. Press enter.

echo > 0 & systeminfo | find /V /I "hotfix" | find /V "KB" >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Notepad will open with data, please save this as a txt file and save to desktop, use the "More reply options" at the bottom to upload the file to here. This tells us a lot about your machine.

In addition turn off "fast start" if enabled, and test startup times.

Press the win + x keys together, the windows power menu will open, select "powershell (admin)" from the options, an elevated powershell prompt will open, copy ALL the text below, right click anywhere in the powershell window, and the cmd will append to the prompt (no need to paste.. pretty cool). Press enter.

Get-CimInstance Win32_StartupCommand | Select-Object Name, command, Location, User | Format-List | out-file c:\file.txt

start notepad C:\file.txt

Notepad will open please copy paste the contents here.

Edited by jenae, 19 December 2017 - 05:27 PM.

#9 Kallin

Kallin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:29 AM

Hi, you do not appear to be enjoying your computing experience very much, I am sorry this is the case. Many of use find windows ten to be by far the best OS. 

Lets see if we can help you. Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated command prompt will open. Copy ALL the text in the following cmd, and right click anywhere in the cmd prompt window and select "paste" the cmd will append to the prompt. Press enter.

echo > 0 & systeminfo | find /V /I "hotfix" | find /V "KB" >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Notepad will open with data, please save this as a txt file and save to desktop, use the "More reply options" at the bottom to upload the file to here. This tells us a lot about your machine.

In addition turn off "fast start" if enabled, and test startup times.

Press the win + x keys together, the windows power menu will open, select "powershell (admin)" from the options, an elevated powershell prompt will open, copy ALL the text below, right click anywhere in the powershell window, and the cmd will append to the prompt (no need to paste.. pretty cool). Press enter.

Get-CimInstance Win32_StartupCommand | Select-Object Name, command, Location, User | Format-List | out-file c:\file.txt

start notepad C:\file.txt

Notepad will open please copy paste the contents here.

Hi and thanks for this! 

I restarted now and measured the startup, it took almost five minutes to have the computer running and functioning:

HP Screen / black screen: 2 minutes

Desktop opened but no icons on it: 2:45

Computer functioning almost normally but still apparently starting things: 4:40

Now it's been almost 7 minutes since I started it and it's still lagging and a bit slow.

Also noticed that since a Windows update a short while ago, it's now restarting google chrome and things like the snipping tool whenever I start the computer.

Attached Files

• Attached File  0.txt   46.58KB   5 downloads
  • Attached File  file.txt   5.19KB   6 downloads

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:19 PM

Yeah, this was Windows 10. And to be honest, I will go and buy a new computer before I reinstall everything again. Took me a week to get all my music stuff in order again after the last time...

You did a Clean Install of Windows 10! are you sure? because I find this fixes most all of these types of problems.  As John said, Windows 8.1 would be a Sure Thing.  

You would be better off giving Specs with Speccy.  Then some may ask for more information intense programs.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 Kallin

Kallin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:28 AM

You did a Clean Install of Windows 10! are you sure? because I find this fixes most all of these types of problems.  As John said, Windows 8.1 would be a Sure Thing.  

You would be better off giving Specs with Speccy.  Then some may ask for more information intense programs.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

Hi, 

Well, I was sure, but now I realised that I did a clean install of the OEM version on my computer, which probably isn't quite the same thing.

Specs here:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/aVKjAqpAhP4Clgdbh0Pw4Mv

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:09 AM

You could not do a Clean Install of Windows 10 OEM, the OEM Version would have to come from HP, the Recovery Disk or USB.  Did you buy an OEM Version of Windows 10 for your pc? I would not think so, they are about 70.00us if even available, and I don't think they are.  What you did was Upgrade from Windows 8-8.1 right.

You may even be able to go back to Windows 8 with your Recovery Partition.  Or do a Non-destructive reinstallation of Windows 8-10.

https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

Maybe you used the Media Creation Tool to Reinstall Windows 10 a second time?  I will leave the link so you can Create the Media if needed.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Here are more directions just in case.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

Again, there are things you can try as long as you backup all your Files, if you haven't already.  I left you with one option at that HP Forum, and there are more if that don't work.  Just get your Media Created first so you can reinstall if needed.

Sorry, that's all I got

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:15 PM

Yeah, I don't think that's possible anymore. I did a restore, and then another time where I did a complete clean install, but no difference. 

When it comes to the graphics adapters, yes, this is apparently a known problem. But no matter how I update, deactivate or reinstall them, it's still the same.

Thanks for the Speccy, that tells us lot's of good info.

Let's at least take a look at Disk Management to see if your Windows 8 Recovery Partition is still there.  If it is, then at least you have that option if you want.  Open Disk Management and take a screenshot and post it to your next post.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-disk-management-2626080

If you need help with the screenshot just ask, I'm out of time.  Basically I think you need to host it on something like Photobucket, then select the screenshot and choose to post to a Forum, or  something to that effect.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:56 PM

This forum allows attachments, so the easiest way to put screen shots in to a post is to use the "More Reply Options" button at the lower right of the compose area then use the attach files option at the bottom that shows up.

Since this machine has already had Windows 10 installed on it the only two logical options would be to restore to Windows 8.1 from the recovery partition, if available, or to do a completely clean install of Windows 10 if the existing version is at 1709.  If it's at an earlier version I would try following the instructions for Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file first.

Not that I think this will solve the issues, but it couldn't hurt to at least try doing the following:

prior to a restoration to Windows 8.1, or doing a clean install of Windows 10.

All of the above (except running SFC and DISM) presumes you've backed up your user data, at a minimum, before proceeding.

There was nothing in the Speccy Snapshot that screamed out to me that there is any reason why Windows 10, if installed clean, should not work on this hardware.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

Thanks Brian!  I'm more familiar with the Linux section on Posting screenshots, and could not find the Instructions here anywhere, though I know they are here somewhere, arrggg

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users