Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blinking Icons on PC Desktop Using Windows 7 & on Seagate External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 strtrodder

strtrodder

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:15 AM

Hi!  I am new to Bleeping Computer.com.

I have a 2TB Seagate External Hard-Drive plugged into my PC via a USB Port.  Whenever I open this External Hard-Drive, the numerous icons on this drive start to blink.  When I open up a file to use on my PC, I can see in the background, the desktop screen blinking and, when I downsize the screen on my PC, the icons also on my desktop are blinking.  If, after a moment of time, I don't close the External Hard Drive, then the desktop icons freeze and, so does the PC.  Meaning I can't close down the PC, other than pressing the shutoff button for a lengthy period of time.  I have Bitdefender Total Security and, ran a virus scan and, nothing showed up.  I then contacted Bitdefender and, they sent me a "BIOS Log" Program to download what was going on in my PC and, they too couldn't detect the issue.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be causing this issue?

Additionally, I found a whole bunch of Hidden Files located on my External Hard-Drive that are duplicates to the actual files, as many as 3 or more files that are all the same.  To me, it looks like several thousand.  Is there any way to delete these without deleting the primary file or, am I stuck having to perform this manually, which will probably take a long time to accomplish?

Thanks for your inputs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:28 AM

Detach the external drive...how does the system run without it?

Louis

#3 strtrodder

strtrodder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:51 AM

Thanks for your response!

The PC doesn't require the external hard drive to run and, everything runs fine.  I just chose to save everything on my SeaGate External Hard-Drive versus the actual hard-drive on the PC.  In fact the PC runs fine when I am not using the External Hard Drive.  The problem starts, when I want to retrieve a file folder (icon) from the SeaGate External Hard-Drive (be it a Word or Excel Document and, then the blinking of the icons start.  If left open for any length of time, the icons on my desk top will start to blink and, ultimately, the PC freezes up.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:56 AM

Moved to Exrernal Hardware, not a Win 7 problem based on what is stated.

Louis

#5 strtrodder

strtrodder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:19 AM

Ok, as I didn't know under which heading to post this item as the External Hard-Drive is attached to my PC using Windows 7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users