Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access a device on my home network from other locations?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tim_K

Tim_K

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:40 PM

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 running as a controller for some Avalon 741 miners.  From my home PC,  I can just type in 192.168.1.207, and it goes right to it to access its administrative console.

How can I do this from other locations, like at work or outside my home network?  I was thinking I could just type in my home IP address with a slash and 207, or something like that, like 144.133.122.111/207 to directly access the controller from other places.

Will this work?  I'd prefer to not use other management programs or VPNs if it isn't absolutely necessary.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

If you can get to it by just typing the IP address it is most likely using port 80 which is blocked by most ISPs.  You're going to have to change the port it is listening on in order to have it work from the outside.  Then you would have to forward that port on your router to the 192.168.1.207 address.  

#3 Tim_K

Tim_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:17 AM

Okay, I can change the port, any suggestions as to which port to change it to?  And my ISP is Verizon.

And if I were at work, for example, what would I type in to IE to get access?  I can't just type 192.168.1.207, it would have no idea to go to my house to look for it.  I presume I'd type my routers' IP in, followed by something to specify the .207, but exactly what?

Edited by Tim_K, 19 December 2017 - 12:18 AM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:19 PM

Normally port 80 is changed to 8080.  You would forward port 8080 to your device on the router.  To connect you would enter your public IP address followed by :8080 to signify the port, i.e. 9.9.9.9:8080

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users