Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen while playing Final Fantasy XIV

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lenala

Lenala

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:15 PM

I'm at about my wits end here and would really appreciate any help/suggestions anyone can offer.

Long Story:
So, for the last 3-6 weeks or so, I've been having the following issue:

While Playing Final Fantasy XIV, my screen goes black. I can still hear the game music/sounds in the background for a few seconds, then I get this persistent beeping noise, the fans on my notebook rev up, and it shuts down.

I have an Origin EONX15 with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M. Windows 10 OS.

At first, this issue would occur only once per gaming session, but it now seems like I can at best only get 30 min of gaming before this issue happens, over and over again, to where I pretty much can't play the game anymore.
This doesn't happen when just browsing the web, watching videos, etc.

I've done the following troubleshooting so far:
1. Reinstalled NVIDIA drivers after wiping them with DDU (most recent ones)
2. Reinstalled windows and FFXIV
3. Cleaned fans and put new thermal paste on GPU/CPU in case it was an overheating issue. The GPU temp maxes out at about 76C while playing.
4. Ran a memtest on the ram, 4 passes, no errors found.

What else can I do? This card is only about 6 months old. Is there a specific driver that I should be running that's more stable? My drivers and windows updates happen automatically, and though it seems like this started happening more often after a recent windows update, I cannot be sure. In the event viewer, these are the most common errors I get that I think could be related?

dwminit
The Desktop Window Manager process has exited. (Process exit code: 0x8898008d, Restart count: 4, Primary display device ID: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M)

and

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.16299.15, time stamp: 0x7f22d77c
Faulting module name: dwmcore.dll, version: 10.0.16299.125, time stamp: 0x5eb910be
Exception code: 0x8898008d
Fault offset: 0x000000000008150d
Faulting process id: 0x1a04
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3775f083b713c
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\dwm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\dwmcore.dll
Report Id: bae38745-7a1d-4e66-85f5-3ee7e0507423
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Please help, before I go insane! This almost makes me want to throw my PC in the trash and just play the game on the PS4. :(

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 17 December 2017 - 07:02 PM.
Moved from Computer gaming to Internal hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:16 AM

It would help if you post the operating temperature for the GPU.  The best place to find the most accurate readings is in the BIOS.

This GPU is rated up to 73C, so your GPU is running at its max temperature.

How are you using this notebook?  On a flat surface with plenty of air space beneath it?

Have you tried using a laptop cooler?  They are not very expensive, you can purchase one for as little as $15.00.

Just curious, after reapplying the thermal compound did the temperatures improve, or did the temps rise?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Lenala

Lenala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:23 AM

Not at home right now, so cant check temperature. The notebook is on a cooling pad, plenty of space. I noticed that this problem only happens when I run the game on the 27 inch monitor that I plug in via the hdmi port. It doesnt crash when I just run it on the 15 inch notebook screen. Im thinking the gpu is failing...
Also, I didnt see a significant change to temps after applying the compound, stayed about the same.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:56 AM

You may have a driver issue rather than a failing GPU.  Have you tried updating the graphics driver?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Lenala

Lenala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:41 PM

I did. Wiped the old one with DDU, then updated. It didnt fix it, unless the new driver is the problem. I even tried some of the older drivers in case that was the problem, no luck either. :(

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:48 PM

Wiped it with DDU???  I have no idea what those initials are related to.  All you needed to do is open the control panel, select Programs and Features and uninstall the driver.

#7 Lenala

Lenala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

Display driver uninstalled. Its a program that is supposed to help ensure that old drivers are completely uninstalled and no files remain.
Uninstaller even.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:08 AM

There are so many third party specialty programs out there that if everyone only used their initials no one would know what the heck is being inferred.  You may want to consider posting actual names rather than initials that most people will not recognize.  This isn't like industry standards such as PSU, CPU, PC, HDMI, RAM, etc.

Boot into Safe Mode and play your game.  See if the problem persists there.  Safe Mode uses a native Windows driver rather than what is normally used in regular mode.  If the problem doesn't persist in Safe Mode this would be a good indication that this problem is driver related.

Have you tried this NVIDIA GeForce Windows 10 driver?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users