Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Delete windowsimagebackup on windows 8 ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 asdon

asdon

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

Hey guys .          

I'm running out of space on my C drive and noticed that punch of files have been created in the last few days , provided screenshot , they are located in windowsimagebackup folder .               

Tried to delete this folder , but got the the " you don't currently have permission to modify this folder" error , managed to fix it with a little search .  

Opened the folder and found another folder called SPPMetadataCache but no files ,  the only to  see the files within it ,  was by searching using this program Filesearchex as you can see in the screenshot  . 

Googled a lot and nothing worked for me , hope anyone can help!  . 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:49 PM

Windows Backup is probably enabled. You can disable it and also manage the backups.

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/16089-backup-schedule-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8930-backups-view-manage-space-windows-8-a.html

#3 asdon

asdon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:32 PM

Thanks for the reply , tried those steps  . but seems like windows backup is not set . took this screenshot .

Attached Files

• Attached File  ERR1.jpg   68.18KB   1 downloads

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:11 PM

That image shows Windows 7. Just confirming this is the correct computer as you posted in the Windows 8 forum.

I looked at the image in your first post and the files are in System Volume Information.

If this is Windows 7 you can stop System Restore and see if this gives you more space or dial back the amount of disk space allocated to System Restore.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5482/make-system-restore-use-less-space-in-windows-7/

Use Disk Cleanup. When doing a cleanup it can take awhile to finish.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17421/windows-free-up-drive-space

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:32 PM

In your image, it does show Windows 7 File Recovery.

In the 2 tutorials dealing with Windows 8, they also show Windows 7 File Recovery.

I don’t have a Windows 8 computer to double-check but it looks to me like Windows 8 does have a Windows 7 File Recovery feature.

If I remember correctly my brother’s Windows 8 did have that.

On your comment that “windows backup is not set”

In my experience the first time I created a system image backup on a brother’s computer, I had used the Create a system image link w/o selecting back up now and experienced the same issue you see.

After that I used the back up now choice as it includes the system image backup and that system works according to the 2 tutorials JohnC_21 posted in post #2.

​Also if you are using Windows 7, the same principle applies.

Edited by cmptrgy, 20 December 2017 - 04:35 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:20 PM

Although I never had an issue with Windows own system image backup I find that backup programs like Macrium Free, Easeus Todo, and Aoemi Backupper are more intuitive and have better features such as mounting images, schedules, and differential/incremental backups. 

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:32 PM

Although I never had an issue with Windows own system image backup I find that backup programs like Macrium Free, Easeus Todo, and Aoemi Backupper are more intuitive and have better features such as mounting images, schedules, and differential/incremental backups. 

That's a +1. I use Macrium Reflect Free myself.

#8 asdon

asdon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:21 AM

Thanks a lot guys ,and yes it was system restore ,  , reduced the space allocated for it , which was a lot and it worked .  

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:07 AM

Thank you for letting us know your solution.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:30 AM

There are maintenance procedures that can be performed which will help keep as much free space as possible.  If you are using a hdd you should occasionally defrag the hdd.  As previously suggested, using the Disk Clean utility can clean out temporary or redundant files.  You can also run programs like AdwCleaner and  Junkware Removal Tool.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users