Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Set up Wiped Drive for New Win10 Install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SenorSySoP

SenorSySoP

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 01:31 PM

OK after over a month of unsuccessful attempts to remove malware/rootkits etal I finally threw in the towel and wiped the drive with a boot and nuke disk.  After two days of doing its thing, its finally done.   I have a windows 10 usb and wanted to know if there were any specific instruction for setting up the disk type, partitions etc.   If so, please direct me.  I have a 2gb drive, starting from zero.    I would also like to make sure my bios is really the unaffected and the correct version (asus PC) either before or after the install of the OS... you tell me what I should do.  thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 01:42 PM

You can not use a 2 gb drive because Windows 10 will use a minimum of 24 gb. Maybe your drive is a different size. But... there is nothing special that you should do to set up the drive, even wiping it the way you did was frivolous. I do clean installs of Windows 10 a few times a month and I just follow the prompts to delete all partitions and then let Windows 10 create its own partitions.

One hint. For a faster Windows system use a USB to install Windows and it usually installs in the newer GPT partition scheme. This is favorable over the older MBR scheme.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 SenorSySoP

SenorSySoP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:52 PM

Sorry. i meant 2TB drive. Ok install from usb and go? how can i set up partitions so I can break ip the size of the drive? or will i be promopted? thanks

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:25 PM

Personally, I would let Windows 10 partition and format the drive because if you have a UEFI computer you will get partitions. The EFI partition formatted Fat32 which Windows will automatically size depending on if the drive is Advanced Format, a 16MB MSR system reserved partition, the Windows partition, and a Windows RE partition which includes the Advanced Boot Options. You can always resize and add partitions after the install using a partition manager like Partition Wizard.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/configure-uefigpt-based-hard-drive-partitions

#5 SenorSySoP

SenorSySoP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:36 PM

thank u all

I will do that this afternoon and go from there.   I just noticed my bios has had 8 updates.... wow  I am running a 2014 version.   Ive been beyond complacent- ignorance is no longer blissful.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:16 AM

I am also running my system with 2014 BIOS firmware. I have never updated my BIOS because I do not think it makes any difference with the equipment I have. Be very careful.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users