Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard disk sometime clicks

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ivann700

Ivann700

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:47 AM

Heloo bleepz.
I have 2 hdds in my system. So after boot it does a click sound
I dont know wich hdd it is. It does it once, then stops. But now, it started to click over and over again with a delay. No, its not a failure, because both disks are accesable at clicking. Can this be because my PSU was not shut down like a month? When i turn off the PC, psu just turns off fans
But on power button it is still on and plugged in. So i shut down the system for 4 minutes, rebooted and clicks stopped. When it clicked, it had full disk activity (at least the light indicated it) So it is due to PSU not being fully shut down?

Edited by Ivann700, 17 December 2017 - 10:49 AM.

Bananas never lose...

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, AntiVirus: ESET NOD32, Firewall: Nothing lol, PC: Fujitsu Esprimo P5731, CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
Mobo: Fujitsu D3011-A1, RAM: DDR3 4GB @ 666 MHz (But really), Storage: Seagate Barracuda 80 GB 7K RPM SATA II + WD Blue 1 TB SATA III
GPU: nVidia GT710 2 GB @ 1251 MHz, Sound: That ricer, stuff, PSU: 300W OEM, Case: Fujitsu P5731

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:11 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

I take it that this computer is not shutting down as it should?

If you installed the second hdd you should know which one this is.  Disconnect the Data and Power cables from the storage drive, not the drive with the operating system installed on it.  See if the clicking stops.  If it does this is your storage drive, if it doesn't then this is the hdd with the operating system installed on it.

In the industry this clicking noise is called "the click of death".

You can run a scan with SeaTools for Windows.  This will tell your the condition of both hdds, this will either be Pass or Fail.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation of SeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

Cn0u1vP.png

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

irtNzsc.png

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 784 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:59 AM

usually when a drive starts clicking it's time to backup data and get ready for a major failure to happen.  the noise are the heads falling back into home position because the magnetic field that drives them is failing.   soon it will just click all the time and you won't be able to access anything.

yep like dc3 says, you need to disconnect 1 drive at a time and just listen to the drives by themselves to isolate which drive it is.  either way first thing you should do is "BACKUP" important data before you can't get to it at all.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:31 PM

usually when a drive starts clicking it's time to backup data and get ready for a major failure to happen.  the noise are the heads falling back into home position because the magnetic field that drives them is failing.   soon it will just click all the time and you won't be able to access anything.

yep like dc3 says, you need to disconnect 1 drive at a time and just listen to the drives by themselves to isolate which drive it is.  either way first thing you should do is "BACKUP" important data before you can't get to it at all.

They need to run the SeaTools to see if the drive is dying.  If it is failing this computer should only be used to backup what ever data you have not already.  If this drive is failing there can be data lose each time you use it.  The SeatTools for Windows  only takes about a minute to run, it's worth the scan.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Ivann700

Ivann700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

Total failure :D Well, this is NOT click of death. The Data is fully accesable and this happens ONLY when boot and idle. After a reboot, and shut down of PSU stopped it completly. Now even at boot this not happens. When data was accesed, it either stopped or continued. EVERY file worked when this happened. The disk was like 'overpowered' . It was NOT a failure.
So it does NOT corrupt anything at all. So 'Click Of Death' X BUSTED

Edited by Ivann700, 18 December 2017 - 04:23 PM.

Bananas never lose...

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, AntiVirus: ESET NOD32, Firewall: Nothing lol, PC: Fujitsu Esprimo P5731, CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
Mobo: Fujitsu D3011-A1, RAM: DDR3 4GB @ 666 MHz (But really), Storage: Seagate Barracuda 80 GB 7K RPM SATA II + WD Blue 1 TB SATA III
GPU: nVidia GT710 2 GB @ 1251 MHz, Sound: That ricer, stuff, PSU: 300W OEM, Case: Fujitsu P5731

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 784 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:55 PM

you'll be sorry if you didn't back up your data!   when you having issues and they all of a sudden go away.  the end is coming sooner then you think!    as a tech for the past 30yrs i have seen this happen several times over the years.

but if you don't want to heed our warnings and "BACKUP!", that's your choice.

and I bet DC3 will agree with me on this one!

#7 Ivann700

Ivann700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:58 PM

Uhh... Im gonna run that thing and see... If it will fails, who cares... 90/400 are just films that i dont watch.

Edited by Ivann700, 18 December 2017 - 04:59 PM.

Bananas never lose...

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:13 AM

Let us know the results.

#9 Ivann700

Ivann700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:25 AM

Tho, the test failed, when i runned HD Tune it showed just a 1 bad sector. Is this causing the issue? It did done the sound at boot

Edited by Ivann700, 19 December 2017 - 11:34 AM.

Bananas never lose...

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:45 AM

If the SeaTools for Windows scan failed the hdd is bad.  If there is data on there which you want to keep now would be the time to do this.

A bad sector isn't anything to get worried about since there are quite literally millions of sectors on a hdd.  When a sector goes bad the readable data is reallocated and added to another sector.  The amount of bad sectors and a increasing number of bad sectors can be a precursor to a failure.

If you do the following I can tell you exactly what the problem/s is/are.

JcJ91sx.pngGSmartControl
Follow the instructions below to test your hard drive health with GSmartControl:

1.  Download GSmartControl and save it on your Desktop.

2.  Extract the content of the GSmartControl .zip archive and execute gsmartcontrol.exe.

3.  Identify your drive in the list, and double-click on it to bring up it's window (usually you'll find your drive by it's size or it's brand name).

4.  Click on the Perform Tests tab, then select Extended Self-test in the Test type drop-down list and click on Execute (this test can take a few hours to complete).

Once the test is over, the results will be displayed at the bottom of the window. Please copy and paste these results in your topic.

Click on the Attributes tab and if you have any entries highlighted in red or pink, copy and paste their name in your next reply (or take a screenshot of the GSmartControl window and attach it in your next reply).

info_failing.png

How to make a screenshot and post it in your topic

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot.

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

posting-options1.png

When you click on More Relpy Options you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

posting-options2.png

#11 Ivann700

Ivann700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:01 PM

https://imgur.com/a/7KyhM

Uhh... Not even started, failed instantly :(

I hope it will work as long as possible because i dont have money for a new HDD right now

What can i do rather than back-up now? Can i somehow delete the sector and make it dissapear? Im sure it is because the wrong sector

(HD Tune)

https://imgur.com/a/ty60p

The disk aint has any problems at all. It works fine. Well just hope that it will work longest as possible

Bananas never lose...

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

I wouldn't depend on this hdd if it failed the SeaTools for Windows scan.  It could quit any time now.  I would not run any more scans, this just puts more wear on the drive needlessly which can speedup its failure.

Backup what you want to keep and store it on removable media so that is doesn't get lost if the driver fails completely.  Removable media= external hdd, internal storage drive, flash drive, CDs or DVDs, ect.

#13 Ivann700

Ivann700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:10 PM

Ok. Thanks, it is a pretty old HDD that is powered at least 1 time per day. So do i need avoid just writing or reading or both? Well i hope for NO failure. Again, thanks.

----------LOCK----------

Bananas never lose...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users