Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Site Promotion

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jmaxwell

jmaxwell

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:23 PM

I'm not really sure this is the place to post this, but, I have a website NTES.com that I'm trying to get higher up the list on search engines like google. NTES is National Technical Employment Services. (Btw, it's not my site, it's a friend's and I'm trying to help her out.) I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to improve it's ranking? Are SEO sites really worth the money? Are the free ones any good? (probably- no, definetly not)

link removed~g

Edited by groovicus, 26 September 2006 - 04:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:43 PM

One way to not do it is to go around to forums and say things like "I have a website NTES.com that I'm trying to get higher up the list on search engines like google". It looks to us like you are posting the link for the sole purpose of spamming a website, which hopefully is not your intention.

You can ask how to improve a page ranking without providing a link. The other thing to consider is that the search engines have algorithms that take link spamming into consideration. For instance, including a link to a commercial employment site on a free computer help site may actually hurt your ranking since the site in question is in no way related to the focus of this site.

So let's call that the first tip on how to raise the page ranking. Do not link to unrelated sites. :thumbsup:

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:34 AM

Sites linking to your site can harm or help the site. If your site is about flowers, and a motorcyle site links to you, it is considered non-relevant and will probably not gain you much credit. To many of these can actually hurt your sites rankings or trust factor in google.

On the other hand, if another site devoted to flowers, or a topic about flowers links to your site, you will get credit as the link is relevant to the content of the page it was on.

Other things is that make sure that the keywords you are targetting are used often enough on the site. For example your front page has these keywords that stand out to me as relevant but dont seem to be used that often.

Keyword - Frequency - %

online - 10 - 3.32
employment - 5 - 1.93
jobs - 5 - 1.93
services - 5 - 1.93
employment - 5 - 1.93
resume - 5 - 1.93
technical - 5 - 1.93
job - 4 - 1.65
individuals - 4 - 1.65
employers - 3 - 1.38

Now I am not saying you should spam the words, but they should have a decent recurrence.

#4 jmaxwell

jmaxwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:24 PM

What if the companies that use our services post a link to our site on their site? Would that hurt our site ranking?

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:28 PM

Probably not as the text around your link will probably be relevant to your sites content.

ON the other hand, if loads of link sites started linking back to your site it may adversely affect it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users