Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unregistering Active X control

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tamarisk

tamarisk

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:37 AM

I have an Acer Aspire 5920 running Win 10 recently update with the Fall Creator.

A few days ago I tried to install a software package called Scan2CAD but I had problems with the installation. Part of the associated error message included "dllregisterserver failed with error code 0x80070005" which I think was associated with registering an "ActiveConverter.dll file. I believe the error code 0x80070005 relates to access errors requiring admin rights, which I have.

I tried to uninstalled the program but before the uninstall was completed an error message appeared detailing being unable to unregister an Active X control, see attached file, this message subsequently disappeared.

Although the software appears to have uninstall there are a couple of parts remaining in its Program Files folder, namely its Uninstall folder an a ActiveConverter.dll file.

I contacted the software company who were initially supportive but have since not responded.

Can someone help me with this issue?

Many thanks

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:05 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Type cmd in the Run box.

Press Shift, Ctrl, Enter together to run this as an administrator.  This will open the Command Prompt as an Administrator.

When the Command Prompt opens copy and paste regsvr32 in the command prompt, then press Enter.

Edited by dc3, 18 December 2017 - 08:49 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 tamarisk

tamarisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for the reply Bleeping Tree Hugger. I've followed your instructions and it has brought up a box labelled RegSvr32, the first line in the box says "To register a module, you must provide a binary name". Although I could take a guess at what to do next I'd sooner follow some instructions, can you help?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 01:26 PM

To unregister a dll file

regsvr32 -u <filename>.dll

regsvr32 -u <path>\<filename>.dll

Can you delete the dll file and folder in Safe Mode?

Edit: Was this a web based program. ActiveX controls are also listed in IE under manage add-ons.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 December 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#5 tamarisk

tamarisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:20 PM

I'm not very clued up on doing this but I tried:

C:\Users\Anne>regsvr32 -u ActiveConverter.dll

which gave the error shown in the attached file, then

C:\Users\Anne>regsvr32 -u c:\Program Files\Scan2Cadv9\ActiveConverter.dll

which gave the same error meassage.

I guess I got it wrong.

Edit: As I didn't achieve unregistering the dll file I haven't tried deleting anything. I don't think the software/program is web based.

Edited by tamarisk, 17 December 2017 - 04:24 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

You used a elevated command prompt, correct? When starting the command prompt as admin you should see a C:\Windows\System32> prompt.

See if you can unregister the dll in safe mode if you used a command prompt as admin. You should be able to delete the .dll when in safe mode.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 December 2017 - 04:38 PM.

#7 tamarisk

tamarisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:20 AM

Deleted post

Edited by tamarisk, 18 December 2017 - 07:29 AM.

#8 tamarisk

tamarisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:28 AM

Deleted post

Edited by tamarisk, 18 December 2017 - 07:29 AM.

#9 tamarisk

tamarisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:39 AM

Apologies for the previuos 2 deleted posts. Something weird is happening with the post after previewing it and adding text I did not type

&nbsp;

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Type cmd in the Run box.

Press Shift, Ctrl, Enter together to run this as an administrator.  This will open the [bCommand Prompt[/b] as an Administrator.

When the Command Prompt opens copy and paste regsvr32 in the command prompt, then press Enter.

&nbsp;

Following the above took me to C:\Users\Anne> and not an elevated command prompt.

I rebooted into Safe Mode with networking clicked Start (typed) cmd (right clicked) cmd.exe (selected) Run as administrator took me to C:\Windows\System32>.

From C:\Windows\System32> I typed regsvr32 -u ActiveConverter.dll and got the error message " The Module ActiveConverter.dll failed to load". See attachment: Scan2Cad regsvr32_2error.jpg

From C:\Windows\System32&amp;amp;gt; I typed regsvr32 -u c:\Program Files\Scan2Cadv9\ActiveConverter.dll and got the error message " The Module ActiveConverter.dll failed to load". See attachment: Scan2Cad regsvr32_2error.jpg.

I still seem to be having problems.

#10 tamarisk

tamarisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:37 AM

I wonder if I am chasing a red herring?

After an online search on how to view the registered DLL's I could not find ActiveConverter.dll listed in the Loaded Modules (Start|Run: msinfo32|System Summary|Software Environment|Loaded Modules).

Going back to my OP, see below;

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

........... Part of the associated error message included "dllregisterserver failed with error code 0x80070005" which I think was associated with registering an "ActiveConverter.dll file.........
I tried to uninstalled the program but before the uninstall was completed an error message appeared detailing being unable to unregister an Active X control........................
Although the software appears to have uninstall there are a couple of parts remaining in its Program Files folder, namely its Uninstall folder an a ActiveConverter.dll file.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A first for me, I looked in the Scan2CAD Setup Log.txt and Uninstall Log.txt files left behind in the Program Files\Scan2CAD folder for error messages and found the following:
Setup Log.txt
[12/14/2017 17:06:55] Error Register COM file: C:\Program Files\Scan2CADv9\ActiveConverter.dll - System Error # 126 (1)
[12/14/2017 17:06:58] Error Script: On Post Install, [10]: System.UnregisterActiveX("%AppFolder%\\ActiveConverter.dll"); (1822)

Uninstall Log.txt
[12/14/2017 19:19:54] Error Unregister COM file: C:\Program Files\Scan2CADv9\ActiveConverter.dll (126)
[12/14/2017 19:20:00] Error Remove folder: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Scan2CAD (32)
[12/14/2017 19:20:00] Error Remove folder: C:\Users\Anne\Documents\Scan2CADv9 (145)

Assuming the first error message (which I did not fully note) was telling me that the ActiveConverter.dll failed to register and the second error message was telling me that the uninstall failed to unregister the ActiveConverter.dll, could it be that the uninstall was looking for something that did not exist, namely the registered ActiveConverter.dll?

I havent tried to delete the ActiveConverter.dll file left over in the Program Files\Scan2CAD folder but I have renamed it.

Edited by tamarisk, 18 December 2017 - 08:41 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:45 AM

Assuming the first error message (which I did not fully note) was telling me that the ActiveConverter.dll failed to register and the second error message was telling me that the uninstall failed to unregister the ActiveConverter.dll, could it be that the uninstall was looking for something that did not exist, namely the registered ActiveConverter.dll?

I think your assumption is correct. If you can rename the file and the computer is running normally I see no reason why you can't delete it, leaving it in the recycle bin for awhile. 

Download AutoRuns and search for that file. If you see that file uncheck the box next to the listing. If the computer runs and boots normally you can later delete it by highlighting and pressing the red X.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

#12 tamarisk

tamarisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:42 AM

Autoruns "Find" command found nothing for ActiveConverter.

After deleting the ActiveConverter.dll file from the Scan2CAD Program Files folder the laptop rebooted, albeit very slowly, and seems to run OK, albeit very slowly, which it was doing before trying to install the Scan2CAD program.

Thank you for your help.

I took a chance and reinstalled the Scan2CAD program, which installed OK and seems to run OK.

With regard to the slowness of the laptop is there anything you can suggest to speed it up? When Win 10 was first installed back in July/August this year it was quite fast but soon stated to slow down, especially after the Fall Creator update, now it's becoming a bit of a pain.

Edited by tamarisk, 18 December 2017 - 10:43 AM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:07 AM

Does the computer run faster when doing a cleanboot? If yes, then you can enable a few startup items and services until you notice the slowdown. If the computer is still slow in cleanboot mode then you could do a reset with the option to keep your files but you would need to reinstall all your programs.

You can also do a clean install of Windows 10 by downloading and running the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive. You would need to backup all your personal data first including your browser bookmarks. 

https://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 December 2017 - 11:08 AM.

#14 tamarisk

tamarisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:27 AM

I've got to move onto other things for a while but I'll get back to your tips and try them out ASAP. Thanks for the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users