Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 - Suddenly no system sounds or game sfx

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SakuraPetal

SakuraPetal

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:23 PM

Hi everyone! Thank you for your time.

I recently came into possession of a Windows 98 desktop computer and had been using it to play some old games. Everything was working great until a few days ago when I turned on the PC and received an error saying that a sector of the hard drive had gone bad. The computer ran a surface scan of the drive and discovered that there was one block of bad clusters. Afterwards I was able to boot into Windows as I normally would.

While the computer itself is still working great and there didn't appear to be any loss of data, what I have noticed since this occurance is that now no Windows systems sounds (the startup sound, general alert sounds, etc) play. Even going into the sound settings and attempting to sample the various sounds available produces nothing from the speakers.

When playing games that had worked perfectly before the hard drive error, I am now noticing that while the BGM of the games play, there are no sound effects played when they should be. Even when using the soundtest modes within games I am only able to listen to the background music, while trying to sample the sound effects produces nothing.

From what I understand I think that the computer has Crystal PnP Audio System MPU-401. I haven't owned the computer for too long so I'm still not entirely used to all of the ins and outs of Windows 98, and had a difficult time finding too much information about the system that I thought might be helpful. I'm also not sure if this problem has anything to do with the soundcard, or if it's a Windows problem caused by the hard drive error.

Any help towards fixing the problem or guidance towards informaiton which may help lead to a soultion would be greatly appreciated! I'm sorry that I'm a total noob at this, thank you so much for your understanding!

Edited by SakuraPetal, 16 December 2017 - 09:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:12 PM

Click the green download button in the below link. Unzip and reinstall the driver.

In Windows 98 there is a program called dxdiag. Running that may give a clue as to the sound problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbFjPz18hfw

If that doesn't help you can reinstall Windows 98SE.

#3 SakuraPetal

SakuraPetal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:31 PM

Thank you so much for your reply!

I ran dxdiag and found a few things of interest. In the "Sound" tab there is a button called "Test DirectSound" that when pushed is supposed to produce a sound effect. However, I did not hear anything. Otherwise there was also no indication that anything was operating abnormally.

In the "Music" tab there is a button that says "Test DirectMusic", with a dropdown menu below it allowing you to choose which port you want to test. When testing the "Microsoft Synthesizer" port I did not hear anything, although when testing the ports titled "MIDI Mapper" and "Crystal FM Synthesis" I could hear the music playing! I have included an image of this stage for clarification.

Sound.jpg

Would switching the default music port to either MIDI Mapper or Crystal FM Synthesis solve this problem? And if so, how would that be possible? Otherwise if there is anything else that I could do at this point to help solve the problem please let me know!

Thanks again!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:17 PM

I think your problem is the Roland MPU-401. Did you try the driver I linked to? I believe music played because this is using a different driver. I'm not sure about switching the default music port will help. You can try it but I have no idea on how to go about doing this on Windows 98. 

Edit: Under the sound tab was there any errors noted in the Notes box?

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 December 2017 - 08:21 PM.

#5 SakuraPetal

SakuraPetal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:43 PM

I'm sorry but I do not see the driver link that you are reffering to. I see a link to a YouTube video regarding dxdiag, and the other link is about Windows 98SE. Neither of these have a green download button.

The sound tab did give the error:

"DirectSound test results: Failure at Step 19 (User varification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (unknown error)"

Although I believe that this is because after a text box popped up asking whether or not I could hear the sound, I selected No. Otherwise there were no problems.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:58 PM

Sorry, I missed posting the link. 

http://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=32215

Click the green button. Unzip and click the exe file. Reboot after the install. It lists the driver as 98 but I am not sure it will work on 98SE.

#7 SakuraPetal

SakuraPetal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:10 PM

Hey there.

Unfortunately things seem worse now than they did before. I installed the driver and everything seemed to have gone alright, although after restarting as prompted I began encountering problems.

When trying to log in I am now met with a window saying that new hardware is going to be installed. It then tells me to insert the Windows 98SE CD-ROM before complaining that it is unable to locate the files that it desires.

win981.jpg

win982.png

As I do not have this disc I proceed click Cancel or Skip File, which then results in the process repeating a few more times before eventually telling me to restart the computer. If I restart then this exact same sequence of menus will appear again the next time I attempt to log in. If I choose not to restart, then it logs into Windows as normal.

However, there is now no sound whatsoever. Even the game BGM which previouslly played is now non-existant. Going into dxdiag reveals that the "MIDI Mapper" and "Crystal FM Synthesis" ports which previouslly worked no longer exist.

win983.png

So now I'm really stumped. I did as you said so I'm not entirely sure why this happened.

Edited by SakuraPetal, 18 December 2017 - 07:10 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:22 PM

From my understanding that is a joystick driver. Unfortunately Windows 98 does not have anything like a system restore. You can download the Windows 98SE OEM disk I linked to and burn it to a CD. 

You can burnt the iso on any Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image or use Isoburner. 

http://www.freeisoburner.com/

Select the Windows 98 SE OEM Full version as this is bootable. If the OEM Full version does not work then use the Retail Full version.

https://winworldpc.com/product/windows-98/98-second-edition

You may need to reinstall Windows 98 after backing up your personal data.

Do you have a make and model of this comptuer? Although I highly doubt there is any kind of support site for it today.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 December 2017 - 09:26 PM.

#9 SakuraPetal

SakuraPetal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:30 AM

Thank you for your continued help.

The computer is an HP Pavilion as pictured below. From looking on the back and sides I unfortunately didn't see anything more specific than the 7055 on the front (although above where it says "Hewlett Packard" it looks like a large sticker may have been removed at some point). Interestingly it also looks like the computer was made for Windows 95, yet was upgraded to Windows 98. Maybe there would be more info regarding the model number on the inside?

Tower.jpg

If knowing the make and model doesn't help, should installing Windows 98SE automatically solve the problem? Will things like sound and other things which are currently working such as CD/Floppy drives just automatically work after upgrading? I've never upgraded an OS before so I'm not entirely familiar with the process.

Thank you again!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:03 AM

Install your driver again and when it asks for the disk insert it in your optical drive. 

I am not sure you can actually upgrade. Is this computer Windows 98 or is it Windows 98SE? I suggest you first burn the OEM disk of Windows 98SE I linked to. Use it when reinstalling your sound driver. 

If your computer is Windows 98 and not 98SE you should be able to upgrade per the following guide. You will need the key on the website I linked to. You may need to use the Windows 98SE Retail Upgrade or the Retail Full  iso if the keys on the page I linked to do not work for the OEM full version. 

https://www.pctechguide.com/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-win98/installing-windows-98-upgrading-to-win98se

If your computer is 98SE then you can do a clean install but all your programs would need to be reinstalled. You could also try a registry repair using the command shown on this page. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/221512/how-to-manually-restore-the-windows-98-me-registry

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 December 2017 - 09:27 AM.

#11 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:23 PM

if you don't have the disc you can point windows to look for the files in the c:\windows\cabs or c:\windows\system\cabs folder can't remember for sure, if it can't find what it needs there then try c:\windows\drivers or c:\windows\system\drivers again can't remember where exactly.  but this is what i used to do when i didnt have the windows 95,98 disc in my hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users