Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 whitedragon551

whitedragon551

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:48 PM

With the repeal of the Net Neutrality I am looking for something to encrypt all of my internet traffic at home and out and about. Im looking for recommendations for a VPN service that doesnt keep logs, offers anonymous payment methods (even though I probably wont use them), allows gaming and torrenting, and allows multiple PC's per account (3 or less).

I used Mulvad in the past and it seemed ok, but they have a pretty limited number of servers and we had some issues with connectivity sporadically. What others should I consider?

| Windows Firewall Control | Sophos Antivirus |

| Image for Windows v3.18 |

| TysTechTalk.com |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jerry6

jerry6

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:21 PM

Proton VPN allows all , has a good selection of servers .

#3 whitedragon551

whitedragon551
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:29 PM

Proton VPN allows all , has a good selection of servers .

Same company that ProtonMail is owned by? I havent heard anything about Proton VPN in all of my VPN research. How does it stack up against NordVPN, Mullvad, etc?

| TysTechTalk.com |

#4 jerry6

jerry6

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

Yes same company , no idea how it compares to Nord , but easy to set up , lots of servers , super secret mode is available if you need . 

#5 whitedragon551

whitedragon551
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:54 PM

They dont seem to have great reviews. They have some pretty weird language in their TOS and their speeds are atrocious.

https://thatoneprivacysite.net

| TysTechTalk.com |

#6 jerry6

jerry6

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:29 PM

They (Proton) have updated the software several times since that review . I donated money to that one privacy guy site , still he does not have the resources to be that thorough , a good basic view of all the sites . I have seen quite a few mistakes in the reviews because I have used and still use several of the VPN providers and know that he made mistakes . A good site for basic info , a start to your research .

It's a big field with lots of crap out there , read up as much as you can before making a choice .

#7 whitedragon551

whitedragon551
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:32 PM

The technical issues arent that big of a deal. Its the logging, jurisdiction, and ethics issue that are the largest problem for me. While I dont venture off into questionable spaces online or partake in illegal activity, I do want to be able to trust a company wont just hand over identifying information at the first sign of a potential problem.

So far its looking like Mullvad may still be a winner based on cost, TOS, and logging/ethics policies.

Edited by whitedragon551, 18 December 2017 - 06:33 PM.

| TysTechTalk.com |

#8 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:33 AM

NordVPN seems quite good 

Emsisoft Community Manager

#9 Vectron

Vectron

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:05 PM

I vote for: AirVPN, ProtonVPN, Mullvad

Torrentfreak has an annual VPN questionnaire that they publish for different VPN providers. It's worth a read - here's their 2017 version.

#10 Imacelebrity

Imacelebrity

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:12 PM

ipredator.se  is good, has guides to help set up etc

#11 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:03 PM

I would go for NordVPN,ProtonVPN or VyprVPN but Golden Frog does not allow torrenting :notme:

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:30 PM

NordVPN seems quite good 

Thanks for the recommend, have been on the fence for 3-4 days, was ready to pull the trigger on NordVPN after seeing their 3 year deal (auto renewable) at $99, equals to be $2.75/month. 

Not that I'm looking to do anything illegal, just want end to end encryption for making transactions. Can be used on public or guest hotspots also, this way someone in the corner can't see what I'm doing. More for an extra layer of security over anything else. 

Works with Linux Mint also! :thumbsup:

Again, a big thanks for the endorsement of NordVPN, not like they need more than what's out there, yet it's good to hear this from one who has no financial interest in the corporation. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 deancollins

deancollins

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:23 AM

I use hide.me VPN, seems good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users