Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Running Vista Home Premium: Can I speed it up?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 InquisitaB

InquisitaB

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:12 PM

The title basically says it all.  I'm running Vista Home Premium on an HP G60-123CL Notebook PC.  I've attached a screenshot of the properties window. Start up is super long and it takes forever to import photos on to the hard drive from a photo card.  I understand that both the hardware and software I'm using are ancient but I figured there might be some actions I may be able to take to speed them up a little bit.

Thanks for any help you can be.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:42 PM

Since it's already maxed out with 3GB of RAM, about the only thing you could do is replace the old, s-l-o-w 5,400 RPM HD in it with a SSD.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:11 PM

Dont spend the money on an SSD drive when you can replace the system for about that amount.

Used systems running Windows 7 on Amazon are pretty cheap!

In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:42 AM

Hi InquisitaB:

Your image shows you're still running Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1).  Is there any reason why you haven't updated to Service Pack 2 (released May 2009)?  Extended support for Vista SP2 ended on 11-Apr-2017 but you are likely still missing several years worth of security updates that required SP2 as a prerequisite.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.2 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1 * MS Office Professional 2003
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

#5 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:17 PM

Buy a new computer with Windows 10.  Holiday sales should include somewhere, a few retail stores selling a good laptop for under 400 dollars.  

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,395 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:40 PM

If you do want to hang onto the machine take #2 posts advice, it is the easiest lap top to change the hard drive.  You can swap the drive is about "5" minutes, cloning your drive to the new one is the slow part software is included with the drives.  If down the road you can pull the SSD out and use it a future unit.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 Yousucks2

Yousucks2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:02 PM

Disable some services which sometimes cause slow Performance

Superfetch, background transfer service (MIPS) , windows update (first update your system ,when windows says you re up to date, disable it)

Disable auto-defrag service (start-type defrag ,should appear disk defragger, discheck automatic defrag)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users