Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi dongle question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:26 PM

I have an older Acer lap top that the wifi works pretty good, would one of these newer dongles perk up the wifi a bit.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,316 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:47 PM

Phil,

There is no simple answer to that question, though I suspect the answer will be "yes" depending on the age of the computer (and the version of WiFi its card uses) and the age of the router.

If you're looking at just a single computer and the router, you will only be as fast as your slowest component.   If your old computer has a Wireless G WiFi card then even if you have a brand spanking new Wireless AC router the connection will still function only at Wireless G speeds.  The same would be true if the router were Wireless G and the WiFi card were Wireless AC.

My guess is you might have a Wireless G WiFi card and a Wireless N router (and there are several different Wireless N configurations with regard to throughput) and upgrading to a Wireless N dongle that can exploit the protocol of N used by your router can definitely speed up throughput.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,239 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:54 PM

Thanks will try another route!

I have to go in and swap the drive, I think I will try the added antenna wire idea I found on an Acer forum.  I don't like taking my good lap top out to my shed but the little Acer run out of signal about 30 feet shot of getting there.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users