Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows install with thumb drive help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy1369

Jeremy1369

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:56 AM

I am having trouble getting windows 10 to install from a usb drive. I have tried a 64GB 3.0 usb and a 16GB 3.0/2.0 usb and have the same issue. I download windows 10 from the media creation tool which seems to go fine but when I hook it to the motherboard I get the no drivers found error message I tried plugging the drive into my 3.0 port and 2.0 port with no success - I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and it is driving me crazy please.

Thanks,
Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:12 AM

In order to boot from the flash drive you need to change the boot order in the BIOS.  The flash drive needs to be set as the first device in the boot order and needs to be set as a USB device, the ssd/hdd would be the second device.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:14 AM

What is the make and model of the computer or motherboard if custom?

Are you trying to upgrade from an existing OS or is this going to be a clean install?

Did you use the Media Creation Tool to create the bootable flash drive or some other software?

How far into the install process did you get? Did this error occur at the windows that shows the hard drive?

Was this error message no drivers found or no drives found? If no drives then follow dc3's post.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 December 2017 - 10:16 AM.

#4 Jeremy1369

Jeremy1369
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:41 AM

No luck - only options are scan disk and uefi partition 1 scan disk and it won't let me change from the partition option

#5 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:51 AM

I am having trouble getting windows 10 to install from a usb drive. I have tried a 64GB 3.0 usb and a 16GB 3.0/2.0 usb and have the same issue. I download windows 10 from the media creation tool which seems to go fine but when I hook it to the motherboard I get the no drivers found error message I tried plugging the drive into my 3.0 port and 2.0 port with no success - I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and it is driving me crazy please.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Download with the media creation tool, but say you want to install on another machine so you get the ISO.  Plug your thumbdrive into your computer, and format fat32.  Mount your ISO, and copy all files to thumbdrive.  Reboot your computer and press appropriate key over, and over again as it reboots so you can choose the drive from which to boot.  For my computer it is F11, but it may be different for yours.  It should work for you.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:46 AM

Use Rufus;

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:17 PM

There is so much ambiguity here that it's difficult to know what to advise, though everything that's been offered could apply in specific circumstances.

It would be helpful to know:

- Computer make and model.   Was Win10 the originally installed OS or had it been upgraded to Win10 from Win7, 8, or 8.1?

- Was the Media Creation Tool used to download the ISO file or directly to create a bootable USB drive?

* If the ISO was downloaded, was a utility used to create bootable media?  Many make the mistake of just copying the ISO to the thumb drive. (See Rocky's comment about using Rufus to create bootable USB media from an ISO file).

- Has the boot order been changed as suggested by dc3, presuming that a bootable drive has been created?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users