Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best way fwd? On Win7 box adding USB Wifi - remove card +/or drivers 1st?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrpete

mrpete

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:27 AM

A friend of mine has an old HP Touchsmart 300 all-in-one PC running Windows 7. The PC has an SSD in it and runs reasonably fast ... no need to trash the HW just yet.

Theres a NEW cable modem/router in the house and it wisely only speaks WPA2. The HP 300 has a mini-PCI card in it that only speaks WPA (and ancient WEP), not WPA2. Unfortunately, the PC cannot be moved near enough to the router to directly plug an Ethernet/RJ45 cable into it.

I have ordered a D-Link AC1200 USB adapter DWA-182 for the HP 300 to provide Wifi connectivity.

Info on the DWA-182 can be gotten by throwing the search terms below into the worlds largest search engine.

site:us.dlink.com dwa-182

MY QUESTION IS ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Before installing the DWA-182 should I remove either the driver for the mini-PCI card and/or the card itself? Opening that machine up is not a problem.

Maybe I can just leave whats there in place. Whats the best way to proceed?

THANK YOU!

Edited by hamluis, 16 December 2017 - 04:03 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:47 PM

Hello mrpete,

Would suggest checking the BIOS to see if the device can be disabled there, if yes, disable it and uninstall the drivers, if no, uninstall the drivers and physically remove the card from the MB, let us know if you need any guidance with any of the required steps.

NB: Would be a good idea to keep a copy of the present devices drivers somewhere on the computer in case your friend ever has to revert back to the card for some reason.

Edited by PhillPower2, 16 December 2017 - 01:48 PM.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:47 PM

I'm surprised that the current card can't work with WPA2 to be honest.  Has he actually tried to connect or is he just assuming it won't work?  Looking up the system details it appears to be from around 2009, and if I'm looking at the right one came with a 802.11n compatible adaptor.  Most from 2006 onwards (when it became a certification requirement for WiFi products) and certainly "n" capable cards, which really only caught on around 2009 should really work with WPA2.  I believe part of the 802.11n standard enforces WPA2 with AES encryption for it's high speed modes.

There's no problem really with having more than one WiFi adaptor installed but it might avoid confusion (and prevent it looking for networks to join etc.) if the old one is disabled.  You can do this through device manager if there's no BIOS level option to disable it.

Edited by jonuk76, 16 December 2017 - 04:08 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 mrpete

mrpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:34 PM

Hi Phil & Jon ... thanks for the replies.

I agree that the existing networking card really should be able to speak WPA2, but the HP website lists only WPA and WEP as options. See the URL below and go to networking and then expand under 802.11. Apparently, it is a pretty wimpy card.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01891498

I tried MANY times to connect to the new, ISP supplied modem/router. I have gone through all of the options in the router web interface. That avenue is a total dead end. I spent an hour and a half trying every possible option.

Shipping is kinda jammed up because of the holidays and the new D-Link USB networking adapter should arrive by Friday. After that I will do the following ...

First, I will uninstall the driver. Then I will look in the BIOS and see if the old card can be disabled there. If not I will disable the card from the device manager. I will keep a copy of the driver on the machine.

Then I will go through the software install procedure provided by D-Link. Plugging in the USB networking adapter is part of that procedure.

THANK YOU!

#5 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:37 AM

Sounds like a plan mrpete  :thumbup2:

You are welcome btw  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users