Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble shooting OS not found

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 doctorbonez

doctorbonez

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:17 AM

Greetings all.

I have been using a Lenovo H520 running Windows 8 that was upgraded to Windows 10 for several years without any issues.  This weekend, I left my PC on (as i usually do), and I think my toddler got to it. I am not sure what he did.. but button mashing on the keyboard, turning the computer on and off, are all within his realm of expertise.

At some point, my wife walked by and saw:

Error Code 1962-No Operating System Found

on the monitor.  Reboots will result in the same thing and it will not get pass this screen. 

I googled around and attempted to do some easy fixes - reseating the power cables, SATA cables etc - all to no avail. I enter the bios/UEFI and see that the disk is not recognized.  

I then took the disk drive (a Seagate 1TB Barracuda) out and plugged it into an older gateway PC running Windows Vista- (via a SATA cable) - sometimes it will go into CHKDSK on bootup ('

checking file system on \\?\Volume{78ce8855-7757-44db-84dc-4d5a28469f10}

')  sometimes it will complete checking and fix a few errors, sometimes it will hang.  I am not sure if it is checking the good disk native to the old gateway or the new faulty Seagate - however when I go into Bios, the only HD that is recognized is the old WD drive and doesnt see the seagate.

Once I am able to boot into windows on the gateway, the seagate is not consistently recognized. Sometimes it will show up as a new drive ie: i: but will not be accessible and doesnt show any information about the drive (ie: avilable/occupied drive space etc)  - typically whenever I try to access this It will take a long time to complete (and usually require me to quit the task). I tried downloading Seagates Seatools - this seems to have the most luck in getting the computer to consistently recognize the drive, however it will sometimes crash the entire computer when scanning for the drive when connected to SATA cable.  

I went out to buy a HDD Dock - and when connecting the Seagate HDD to the dock, i have better luck accessing the HD without crashing the computer.  (I turn on the dock/HDD after the computer is all booted up).  Sometimes the computer doesnt recognize it until I scan it using Seatools.

When I access it using Seatools, it shows up as an unknown drive.  The SN shows up as DB9876543213F (i am not sure if that is accurate though.. It  seems to fail or hangs on every test (short generic, long generic test)- sometimes it will pass the short drive self test, while other times it will fail after a variable %.

When I use CrystalDiskInfo, it will acknowledge the disc - i can see the model as ST1000DM003-1CH162 1000.2GB as well as the SN, firmware, interface, transfer mode. But everything else is unknown/blank (ie: health status, temp, and all of the attibutes. 

When I go to cmd and try to access the drive (ie: i:) I get a Data Error (Cyclic Redunancy Check).. 

When I do

chkdisk i: /f, I get 

The type of the file system is NTFS
Volume label is Windows8_OS
Corrupt master file table. Windows will attmpte to recover master file table from disk.
Widnows cannot recover master file table. CHKDSK aborted.

I attempt to use diskpart to select the drive to do a bootrec /fixmbr

when i enter diskpart and do 'list vol' i can see the volume listed among all the drives, however under Fs (File system?) is listed as raw, but it shows the status as heathy. 

when i try to mark the partition as active, 

The selected disk is not a fixed basic MBR disk. The active command can only be used on fixed basic MBR disks. 

at this point i am kind of stuck.

I would like to be able to boot up windows again and atleast back up all of my data files/pictures of my kids (havent backed up in a few yrs).

am i on the right track here?

any oher recommendations to take? Based on what i have done previously does it suggest anything specific?  i have a very limited understanding of how this stuff works.. 

Thanks for any help.

Edited by doctorbonez, 16 December 2017 - 08:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

As best as I can discern, at this point your main question is how to access a corrupted OS disk to retrieve data files.

Ok, let's start with the easiest way and work our way up the ladder to more difficult.

Download the ISO for Hirens Boot CD and burn to a DVD. Make sure your BIOS is set to 1st Boot Device = DVD, 2nd Boot Device = HDD. Insert the new disk and reboot. Hirens will load, and on the opening screen the first option at the very top is Boot into hard drive (or something similar). Hilight that and tap Enter. Hopefully the generic MBR in Hirens will boot you into the troublesome W8. Hirens is (unfortunately) not supported any longer, but I still use it on occasion.

If no joy, do the same thing as above, only use Fatdog (a Linux distro) to see if you can access your files. Fatdog will load and you should see your drive listed.

Try those two first and post back with results.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:15 AM

FWIw/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users