Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Keyboard failure" message

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dixieflash

dixieflash

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:39 PM

Hi, all. First post. Dell desktop Dimension 9200. Dell keyboard that has some green LEDs. I leave the power on, but use sleep at night. Lately, every now and then when I wake it up the keyboard is inoperative. I plugged in a known good board and it also does not work, so I am suspecting software or an internal gadget is the problem.

The only way I can get it to revive is to kill the power and power up again, usually taking three attempts. "keyboard failure" is displayed on the monitor when it stops at a certain stage and will go no further. Repeat the switch off, switch on until finally it acts normal. Any suggestions as to where the problem might be? Thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:45 PM

Hello, have you tried resetting CMOS?

#3 dixieflash

dixieflash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:56 PM

You're gonna think that I am a fossil - I am 86 - I do not know what CMOS is or how to access it. Have heard the term is all. Can you please step me thru how to do it? Thx

#4 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:00 PM

I was referring to the CMOS battery located on the inside of your case and on the motherboard. See here for details: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clear-cmos-2624545 It's the thing labeled CR2032.

#5 dixieflash

dixieflash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:10 PM

Thanks very much. I will try that. BTW, my wife and I visited Dubrovnik several years ago. Met some wonderful people. So glad the country is at peace. Saw many bullet dings in the buildings. Sad.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:46 PM

Good chance you can find a video on Youtube for your model visual helps a lot!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users