Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Account Control Yes button grayed out.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 nwarde

nwarde

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:22 PM

I just noticed the Yes Button has been greyed out when I try to install a program. Anyway of fixing this? I'm on Windows 8.1 with Bing. Thanks.

Edited by nwarde, 15 December 2017 - 05:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:58 PM

I take it from the reference to 'Bing' that you are using Internet Explorer, Microsoft's browser. Which permission box are you referring to ?

When downloading software with IE you get a box like a ribbon at the bottom of the screen asking 'Do you wish to run, save or cancel ?'. When you actually go to install software you get the UAC panel pop-up, which looks like this -

Attached File  UAC box.png   36.93KB   0 downloads

Can you clarify which of these is giving the problem ?

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:57 PM

Sounds to me like you are not using an administrator account.

When you do not have administrative privileges you will not be able to install programs or make system changes.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 nwarde

nwarde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:36 PM

I'm getting the "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" Whenever I open Mozilla Firefox.

I get the exact message when I want to install Adobe Flashplayer, too.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:12 PM

I am still not quite clear what is happening here. Since you are running 8.1, press the Win key and 'X' at the same time then select 'Control Panel' from the menu that appears. When the control panel opens go to the top right hand corner and select 'View by:  Small icons' (this is by far the most useful view of control panel) then click on 'User Accounts'. When you get there, do you see something like this picture ?

Attached File  Control panel - UAC.jpg   37.38KB   2 downloads

I'm running Win 7 so under the image of your avatar it should include the expression 'Administrator'. There is also a line about your account type - local or MS - my laptop which runs 8.1 says 'Local account' because I don't use an MS account to log in. Does it include 'Administrator'?

Firefox is my default browser and you just don't get the UAC box coming up when you open an installed application otherwise I would be seeing it a couple of dozen times a day. Is Firefox installed or are you trying to install it ?  Flash is installed in Internet Explorer and updated when necessary through the Windows update process.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 nwarde

nwarde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:14 PM

I am still not quite clear what is happening here. Since you are running 8.1, press the Win key and 'X' at the same time then select 'Control Panel' from the menu that appears. When the control panel opens go to the top right hand corner and select 'View by:  Small icons' (this is by far the most useful view of control panel) then click on 'User Accounts'. When you get there, do you see something like this picture ?

attachicon.gifControl panel - UAC.jpg

I'm running Win 7 so under the image of your avatar it should include the expression 'Administrator'. There is also a line about your account type - local or MS - my laptop which runs 8.1 says 'Local account' because I don't use an MS account to log in. Does it include 'Administrator'?

Firefox is my default browser and you just don't get the UAC box coming up when you open an installed application otherwise I would be seeing it a couple of dozen times a day. Is Firefox installed or are you trying to install it ?  Flash is installed in Internet Explorer and updated when necessary through the Windows update process.

Chris Cosgrove

I'm getting a similiar UAC box to yours. But mine does not say "Administrator", just has my initials "N W", email address and then "password protected" underneath.

Firefox is already installed and Firefox wants to update when I first open it, thats why im getting the UAC box.

Edited by nwarde, 17 December 2017 - 06:18 PM.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

The lack of the word 'Administrator' does suggest that Eyesee was right, at #3, you do not have an administrator account. I will see if I can get him back to offer advice on how to set one up.

In the meantime, you could go into the settings in Firefox and make sure that updating is set to 'automatic' and back into to 'Control panel - User accounts' and check that your UAC settings are not set to the highest level but one mark down. It is not a good idea to turn this setting off completely.

Chris Cosgrove

PS  Is this your own computer or is it school, company or parent's computer ?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 18 December 2017 - 05:20 PM.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:02 PM

You cannot make changes to system settings or install programs unless you are an administrator

#9 nwarde

nwarde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:13 PM

The lack of the word 'Administrator' does suggest that Eyesee was right, at #3, you do not have an administrator account. I will see if I can get him back to offer advice on how to set one up.

In the meantime, you could go into the settings in Firefox and make sure that updating is set to 'automatic' and back into to 'Control panel - User accounts' and check that your UAC settings are not set to the highest level but one mark down. It is not a good idea to turn this setting off completely.

Chris Cosgrove

PS  Is this your own computer or is it school, company or parent's computer ?

Its already set to "Automatically install updates (recommended)" under Allow Firefox to, if that's what you're referring to.

Going into Control panel - User Accounts - UAC Settings, I get the same box and message "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?"

Its my own computer.

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:03 PM

One picture being worth a thousand words, can you go into control panel and take a screen shot of what it shows on the 'User Accounts' screen.

You can either use the snipping tool - which is very easy to use - which normally generates a .PNG type file. Save this file somewhere you can find it easily again. Or you can press the 'Prt Scrn'/'Print Screen' button on your keyboard, open 'Paint' or any other graphics application and paste the screen shot into it. 'Print screen' will capture the whole of your desktoop so use the crop tool to crop it down to just the control panel screen, save this either as .PNG or .JPG. Then paste the resulting image into your next post. Use the 'More reply options' button at the bottom of the posting box to do this.

Chris Cosgrove

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:01 PM

Attached File  User Account Win 8.1.jpg   41.21KB   0 downloads

This is the UAC panel from my Win 8.1 laptop. You will see that I am classed as 'Administrator' whereas you are not. Without an administrator account you cannot set up another admin account. I took over this computer when its screen was smashed and the previous owner transferred the admin account to me.

If you are the owner of this computer you should be the admistrator. If you acquired it second hand then you need to get in touch with the previous owner and get them to give you admin rights. Their log-in details would be sufficient. Log-in as them, set up a new account in your name, set the new account to administrator and delete the old one. Job done.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:15 PM

NOTE :-  It was brought to my attention that your email address was visible in your screen shot. To protect your privacy I have 'hidden' your post as it was impossible for me to edit your screen shot. As a Moderator I have fairly wide powers to edit posts when necessary but I cannot touch an attached image !

Chris Cosgrove

#13 nwarde

nwarde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:54 PM

i bought the laptop brand new in 2013 and was the Admin. I think when I did an update a few weeks ago, I then removed the password at the windows startup, since then I lost Admin rights.

How do I do this?

set up a new account in your name, set the new account to administrator and delete the old one. Job done.

Edited by nwarde, 21 December 2017 - 04:57 PM.

#14 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

You cant unless you are an administrator.

#15 nwarde

nwarde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:25 PM

So there's no solution to this? Unless I format and keep my hard drive files?

Edited by nwarde, 21 December 2017 - 05:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users