Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender Anti-Virus Error 577 (Digital file issue)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JamesDavid

JamesDavid

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 03:44 PM

Greetings,

​last night I have completed the installation of the Feature update and I have noticed that Defender Anti-Virus won't run. Here is a summary of everything attempted so far:

​Went into services.msc to get the Windows Defender services all up and running and this where I have got the error message.

​Completed a sfc /scannow no errors found.

​Completed a DISM image health restore without resolving the issue.

Went into Registry to edit under Windows Defender the key DisableAntivirus which was set to 0. I have set it to 1 rebooted then set it again to 0 and so on and it has not resolved the issue.

​I went into powershell to unload the Defender module unsuccessfully again.

Went into command prompt to find out if I could delete/reinstall the package but it's only possible to do so on Windows Server 2016.

​Downloaded the minitoolbox to retrieve error codes and this is all I get:

Error: (12/15/2017 01:32:11 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 2 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Error: (12/15/2017 01:31:29 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Windows Defender Antivirus Service service failed to start due to the following error:
%%577 = Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

Please find the output text file attached to this post.

Thank you,

James

Edited by JamesDavid, 15 December 2017 - 04:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:06 PM

Do a System Restore.  This is the second time I've seen this issue today.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JamesDavid

JamesDavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:12 PM

Takes several hours, I will be trying overnight. I've been process killing for the past few days TiWorker.exe as it was unexpectedly working in the background and eating my computer's resources. I also have thought that it might have been it.

Thank you.

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:37 PM

Hi, TIworker is associated with windows updates, it is normal for it to use resources when running, it has a high priority.

Many problems with defender have been reported with a recent update, we have fixed them all by running a new parameter in chkdsk.

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-

chkdsk /spotfix  (press enter) you will need to say Y and restart computer. Chkdsk will run and take less then a minute. When finished try defender.

#5 JamesDavid

JamesDavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:44 PM

To be honest I really don't see the pertinence of doing that but I have completed this step and it's still unresolved.

The only way I see is to get Windows Defender Security Center uninstalled and re-installed but apprerantly on Windows 10 unlike Windows Server 2016 the only way to do so is by rolling back the Feature update and re-installing it.

I have double-checked for a roll back usign System Restore but it's unavailable for me...

Can somebody advise any further?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:53 AM

Windows Defender is part of the operating system, as such it can not be uninstalled.

Did you try doing a System Restore selecting a restore point dated prior to the update?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 JamesDavid

JamesDavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:19 AM

Greetings,

well good news I am not a quitter last night I have returned to Microsoft Tech Support to survey with another technician my troubleshooting steps and the guy that I have spoken to was able to fix it in seconds. Here is what this incident is.

1. Windows Defender Anti-Virus & Threat protection is not working and when you load the various Defender services it returns either error 1067 or 577.

2. When you go %Program Files\Windows Defender and you try tu run the file MSASCui.exe it returns an error message that it's disabled by Group Policy.

3. This is simply resolved by opening up Group Policy an d to edit the three following key under Computer configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Defender Anti-Virus:

a. Allow antimalware service to startup with normal priority. (must be set to "Enabled")

b. Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus. (must be set to "Disabled")

c. Under subfolder Real-time Protection of Windows Defender set the policy "Turn off real-time protection". (must be set to "Disabled")

Finally a simple gpupdate /force and you are done! :bananas:

Thank you for your support DC3!

James

Edited by JamesDavid, 16 December 2017 - 10:28 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:33 AM

Good job James.  I'm going to guess that you are running Windows 10 Pro?

#9 JamesDavid

JamesDavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:18 PM

Yes sir.  :bounce: 

Thanks for looking into it.

James

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:31 AM

This is where it becomes important to know what version of Windows you are running.  Only Windows 10 Pro., Enterprise, and Education have access to the Group Policy Object.  The Fall Authors update 1709 has some serious problems, if you are interested in learning more about this read this article.

After all the woes I've heard about Microsoft's tech support I'm glad to hear that they were actually able to help you. :thumbup2:  

#11 JamesDavid

JamesDavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:41 AM

That's a very good insight that you bring up about this issue. I have found a website which explain how to open up Group Policy Editor on Windows 10 home including the 32-bit version, here is the link:

https://nspeaks.com/how-to-enable-group-policy-editor-on-windows-10-home-edition/

I have read the article which you have suggested above. Luckily for me it's the only issue which I have ran across after installing the update. My operating is now fully stable and functional so I also have taken the opportunity to create a fresh system restore point from there.

What happens is that those incidents on Windows 10 tends to discourage users at all from using the new operating system with many of them preferring to stay on Windows 8. It's great for technicians to have access to a knowledge base over the web to troubleshoot in time those issues when updates are released. My particular example just proves as we are now past mid-December that solutions are still slow to be made available considering the Feature update has been released in October.

I wonder how all of those websites which blogs about it are not containing relevant information on how to resolve the bugs but rather concentrates on just mentioning them as known issues.  :smash: 

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:53 AM

Unfortunately Microsoft keeps repairing their updates which usually means that they will have more updates to correct the new update/s.  I hope you don't experience anymore update issues.  I'm almost afraid to admit that my updates have been problem free. <_<

#13 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:46 PM

Hi, the gpedit added to home versions has been around since Vista days, and since Vista days people who have implemented it found it ends in tears, do not do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users