Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 Backup & Restore - oh yeah?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 02:04 PM

I have had Win 10 on my PC for years with many updates, now Ver. 1709 16299.98 (yes this is an odd number isn't it?) and went to 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' yes Windows 7 - why is that?

After 2.5 hours, and not yet finished, going to Details it says Windows backup ...100% complete but under this it says, Windows backup is currently in progress.

This all happened after I had made an installation media on a flash drive which was not detected when I tried to run it which also happened when I tried my Win 10 recovery drive.

I think it is my turn to be trashed by Microsoft.

Refreshing my laptop did not ask for external media use, why on my PC?

Any advise please.

Edited by zzzz, 15 December 2017 - 02:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,838 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 02:47 PM

I have had Win 10 on my PC for years with many updates, now Ver. 1709 16299.98 (yes this is an odd number isn't it?) and went to 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' yes Windows 7 - why is that?

Because it's the backup utility that's been around since Windows 7 and was carried over, intact, to Windows 8, 8.1, & 10.

It's also been deprecated and Microsoft suggests using a third-party backup tool at this point in time. My favorite for ease of use is EaseUS To Do Backup.

After 2.5 hours, and not yet finished, going to Details it says Windows backup ...100% complete but under this it says, Windows backup is currently in progress.

No surprise here, either. It typically takes hours to do a full system backup on any machine that's not in "out of the box" fresh state and that has any significant amount of user data on it. A full backup for my machine which has just under 500 GB of used space on the hard drive typically takes three hours or more. Incremental backups take less time, but still generally between 1.5 and 2 hours (since I don't do these until I feel the system has had enough changes since the last backup that I wouldn't want to have to do over again).

If you want to make a backup I really do suggest you look into third party options like EaseUS To Do Backup, AOMEI Backupper, Macrium Reflect, or similar. While I generally like using built-in Windows utilities given that Windows Backup is (and has been, for some time) significantly slower than third-party options and uses far more space for its backups I have abandoned it. There's also the fact that Microsoft is pretty much telling you that it will eventually disappear and to use the time it has left to find an alternative.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users