Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

best 2k monitor for comfortable viewing/reading?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sovreer

sovreer

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:17 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best 2k monitor for working with text for several hours at a time (preferably a 27"-32" display)?

Right now I am using an HP Pavilion 32" display. I originally got this monitor because it seemed like it would be good for a variety of different uses, from working with documents to multimedia. However I have found that when I try to use this monitor for daily work I always experience rapid eye fatigue and eyestrain. When I try to read I feel like my eyes cannot "focus" on the text on the screen. I am also noticing I am more prone to headaches and nausea using it. I keep having to rub my eyes because my vision seems blurry.

I find the display on my laptop much more comfortable to use. My laptop a Zenbook UX410UQk. It has never given me problems. I would love to know what kind of display Asus uses but I haven't been able to find specs. I am guessing it is nothing great, probably a TN panel, nevertheless it is easy enough on my eyes and I've grown to appreciate it after working at this Pavilion.

For a long time I used an NEC monitor with an IPS panel which was very nice. But NEC monitors are priced at a premium and I'm hoping to find something less expensive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 04:48 PM

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014383 ?

#3 sovreer

sovreer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:38 PM

Thanks Spyware doc.

That benq is actually a monitor I have been considering.

Is that the monitor your are using now and you like it?

I only wish I could see it in person but unfortunately no local store has it.

Edited by sovreer, 15 December 2017 - 10:39 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:57 PM

Iiyama also make very good monitors but have you considered a utility called 'f.lux' ?

It changes the colour balance on a screen depending on the time of day and helps to reduce eye strain. It is also supposed to help you get to sleep better but I can't answer for that as it is not an area I have ever had problems with !  It's available for Windows, Linux and I believe MacOS. I like it and have it installed on several computers.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:55 PM

The only time I can recall getting real problems with headaches etc. with an LCD monitor was trying to use one that hadn't been sync'd to the computers output.  It only applies to VGA connections, and is easily rectified (press the auto sync button usually) but the symptoms include things like a "marching ants" effect on text etc...

Windows 10 has something built into it ("Night Light") which probably does a similar thing to f.lux - lowers the colour temperature during the dark hours.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:25 AM

I have a BenQ GW2765HT on my QNAP server and for the money it's great. BTW, B&H has them right now for $229:

(I use Dell 4K monitors on my main PC).

#7 charlzden

charlzden

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:41 AM

Another vote for BenQ GW2765HT, though it is not the best for gaming.

#8 sovreer

sovreer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:55 PM

Thanks guys.

I've just ordered the BenQ.

Have actually decided to return the HP because more problems began popping up: random black screens requiring me to force restart to access the system / vertical colored bars across the screen when powering on the monitor. I tried various cables, new drivers. Nothing worked.. Not happening on my older monitors, so I conclude this one has some kind of defect.

Looking forward to receiving the BenQ.

One thing nice about the 32" is the size. It's surprising just how much extra space it has compared to a 27". In most applications I think 27" is more practical than 32", but the extra screen size is great for movies.

If I understand correctly, text should actually be more legible and crisp on the BenQ screen precisely because the screen is smaller, 2k 27" (as opposed to to 2k 32")?

That will be a nice advantage, if so. I expect colors will be more vibrant too since it's an IPS panel. They're a little dull on this HP.

Edited by sovreer, 28 December 2017 - 06:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users