Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unsure if parts are dead

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nubsauce

Nubsauce

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:15 PM

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: Corsair Vengence LED CMU16GX4M2C3000C15B (2 x 8GB)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4G
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Master Liquid Lite 120
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2

So Im building a PC for the first time, but Ive run into a bit of a problem. Ive built the motherboard, CPU, RAM, cooler, and video card outside the case to test, and the motherboard does light up...but thats about it. The TV Ive hooked it up to isnt receiving a signal, both the PSU and video card fans arent spinning, and there doesnt seem to be any sounds to suggest the parts are operating aside from the lights on the motherboard, although I have no idea if theyre even supposed to spin or make noise in the first place, or if theyll only do so when the system gets too hot. Theres also an orange light at the bottom of the motherboard, but I cant figure out if thats a good or bad signal.

Ive tried testing with just one stick of RAM, and removing and inserting the CMOS battery, but the results are still the same. So Im just stuck trying to figure out what it is thats wrong. Any suggestions on what I could try would be greatly appreciated!

Pictures of setup: https://imgur.com/a/3sudR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:10 PM

Hello :)

The non spinning "issues" are normal because the system is not under load.

Regarding the orange light. There is a light in the right corner which indicates that board has power. Are you referring to that one?

The first thing I'd try is using a proper monitor to rule out inputs issue and trying a different cable.

Try removing RAM to see if the mobo beeps. That's a short test to determine if it's good. Of course, the prerequisite is that you have a speaker that would beep.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 04:31 AM

Outside the case - OK.  Have you wired up the case power button or are you using a screwdriver etc. to short the power switch pins to turn it on?  Just switching on the power supply, will not cause the machine to power on fully.

Easiest way to do it in that situation - look up the pin out for the Front Panel Connector in the motherboard manual.  Touch a screwdriver to bridge the power button pins.  With luck it should power up.

Edited by jonuk76, 15 December 2017 - 04:37 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:13 AM

the PSU and video card fans arent spinning

Are you saying the cooling fan in the Power Supply is not running?  Does your Video Card have a separate power cable that needs to be plugged in to the mainboard, I don't see one in the picture but thought I would ask anyway.

Edited by ranchhand_, 15 December 2017 - 10:13 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:43 AM

Make sure the RAM andf GPU is seated properly and you have your monitor plugged into your graphics card not the motherboard.

Also double check your wires

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 RecursiveNerd

RecursiveNerd

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:11 AM

I would be more inclined to find out how you are starting your system, as outlined by jonuk76. Are you using a screwdriver to short the pins or using the case header and hitting the power switch? It looks like you have everything hooked up from your images: I see the 24pin power, 8pin CPU, and the gpu all connected.

Refer to your motherboard manual to short the pins with a screwdriver - it's on page 1-17.

I can't find a way to upload an image I have highlighting your header, but you need to short PWRBTN# and GND.

Edited by RecursiveNerd, 15 December 2017 - 11:14 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users