Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2018 'can' be the year of desktop Linux...but

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:46 PM

I thought this person made some good points: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4p9_tIRTnI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:58 AM

Linux powers the world, he just doesn't understand that MAC (Unix based) was developed from its kernel.

Seems he is simply just a GUI interface video editing geek, and doesn't understand, or effectively be able to use the power of the CLI, and what its capable of.

You will find most mac users love a pretty picture, and that's what matters to them most!

Rep

Edited by Replicator, 22 December 2017 - 12:01 PM.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:01 AM

I've been hearing for the last 5-6 years that the next year will be the 'breakout' one for Linux. While not discounting what the YouTuber is saying, it'll probably be closer to 2020, when W7 support dies off, many of those who stated a loud 'NO' to W10 installing itself onto computers w/out permission will stand their ground & go with Linux, as it's getting more & more coverage as of late. While at the same time, the latest W10 Fall Creator's Update (W10 1709) has been troublesome to many, especially those running OEM computers, apps need to be reconfigured or reinstalled, and some outright may be broken, even on brand new computers out of the box that wasn't upgraded to 1709 before shipment. :thumbdown:

The charts (stat counters) are also showing Linux growth, has risen from 2% user share to nearly 3% in just one year, that's adding half again the number of those who were already running Linux. Of course, that number has leveled off a bit as of the last quarter, although I expect to rise higher than before. :)

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?options=%7B%22filter%22%3A%7B%22%24and%22%3A%5B%7B%22deviceType%22%3A%7B%22%24in%22%3A%5B%22Desktop%2Flaptop%22%5D%7D%7D%5D%7D%2C%22dateLabel%22%3A%22Trend%22%2C%22attributes%22%3A%22share%22%2C%22group%22%3A%22platform%22%2C%22sort%22%3A%7B%22share%22%3A-1%7D%2C%22id%22%3A%22platformsDesktop%22%2C%22dateInterval%22%3A%22Monthly%22%2C%22dateStart%22%3A%222016-12%22%2C%22dateEnd%22%3A%222017-11%22%2C%22plotKeys%22%3A%5B%7B%22platform%22%3A%22Linux%22%7D%5D%2C%22segments%22%3A%22-1000%22%7D

While there's other stat counters, this is one of those relied on the most. 

Also noteworthy, the Top 50 supercomputers are now Linux powered, so the above may not reflect that, nor the high number of servers that processes transactions for consumers online, if so, the stat would be much higher due to holiday shopping alone. 

Furthermore, we cannot rely on stat counters alone, as these can be padded, Microsoft knows when data will be collected & will have all partners (to include in-store retailers) to have all available demo models on & connected to the Internet with a screen saver lock. This will fudge the numbers a bit, even a percent or so counts. It would be great to get all Linux users to unite in the same fashion, so that a more accurate count can be made. While it can happen by a movement, the huge 'if' in there is will the Linux forums get out there & pull as many Linux users together as possible to be online for a few days 24/7. 

In closing, if every one of us Linux users can recruit a new member each year, the numbers would grow huge in little time, this being one of the best ways to help make Linux usage high as possible. I firmly believe that all of us can recruit just one person per year, in my peak before becoming less mobile, was getting over 50 new users per year. Am still getting 2-3 new users per year, just by showing how well Linux Mint runs on 1st gen Windows 7 OEM computers, many too weak to run the OS will all of the added updates & too slow to run W10. Linux Mint flies on these, running faster than when new, at the same time producing less heat, mainly due to much reduced overhead. So there's were each & everyone of us has an opportunity to attract new Linux users, one by one, offering assistance when needed, or directing here or any popular Linux forum that's newbie friendly (more are beginning to become so, although there's still lots of room for improvement). 

Much of the issue with longtime Linux users, many doesn't want to see growth because that could attract Malware creators to Linux. Personally, I feel their fears are overblown, it would take an 8 to 10% desktop market share to become worth the effort & by then, there'll be more AV/AM apps for Linux based OS's, where top names can get added market share. Plus the sudo password is required to execute any file, even updates, so we should be safe for some time to come, even with moderate market growth. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 23 December 2017 - 06:08 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:45 AM

Some good points Cat, I'm not too concerned with desktop users as they are the thorn in my side when protecting Linux based servers for which the OS is truly superior.

Plus the sudo password is required to execute any file, even updates, so we should be safe for some time to come, even with moderate market growth. :)

The main problem here being that home based desktop newbies tend to run all applications and interfaces as 'root'......sudo PW will not protect them here!

Any malicious executables that find a way in, will simply also run as root.

Rep

Edited by Replicator, 23 December 2017 - 09:51 AM.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,273 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:50 PM

Actually for me the year of the linux desktop has already come, market share only is a number and not a actual head count of users worldwide.

I actually think linux marketshare is far higher than most numbers indicate, sure not as big as Windows but certainly on par with OSX.

Numbers can be altered and there is no real science to marketshare count

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

I've been hearing for the last 5-6 years that the next year will be the 'breakout' one for Linux. While not discounting what the YouTuber is saying, it'll probably be closer to 2020, when W7 support dies off, many of those who stated a loud 'NO' to W10 installing itself onto computers w/out permission will stand their ground & go with Linux, as it's getting more & more coverage as of late. While at the same time, the latest W10 Fall Creator's Update (W10 1709) has been troublesome to many, especially those running OEM computers, apps need to be reconfigured or reinstalled, and some outright may be broken, even on brand new computers out of the box that wasn't upgraded to 1709 before shipment. :thumbdown:

In closing, if every one of us Linux users can recruit a new member each year, the numbers would grow huge in little time, this being one of the best ways to help make Linux usage high as possible. I firmly believe that all of us can recruit just one person per year, in my peak before becoming less mobile, was getting over 50 new users per year. Am still getting 2-3 new users per year, just by showing how well Linux Mint runs on 1st gen Windows 7 OEM computers, many too weak to run the OS will all of the added updates & too slow to run W10. Linux Mint flies on these, running faster than when new, at the same time producing less heat, mainly due to much reduced overhead. So there's were each & everyone of us has an opportunity to attract new Linux users, one by one, offering assistance when needed, or directing here or any popular Linux forum that's newbie friendly (more are beginning to become so, although there's still lots of room for improvement). 

Much of the issue with longtime Linux users, many doesn't want to see growth because that could attract Malware creators to Linux. Personally, I feel their fears are overblown, it would take an 8 to 10% desktop market share to become worth the effort & by then, there'll be more AV/AM apps for Linux based OS's, where top names can get added market share. Plus the sudo password is required to execute any file, even updates, so we should be safe for some time to come, even with moderate market growth. :)

Cat

Good points especially about malware I agree just look at Mac OS it finally has Malwarebytes available for it, by the time Linux becomes more mainstream MBAM should be available for it. :thumbup2:

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:22 AM

Actually for me the year of the linux desktop has already come, market share only is a number and not a actual head count of users worldwide.

I actually think linux marketshare is far higher than most numbers indicate, sure not as big as Windows but certainly on par with OSX.

Numbers can be altered and there is no real science to marketshare count

MadmanRB, I believe the same, Linux desktop growth is larger than what's being reported, if not, then where did the long time 90+% Windows market share go? :question:

Plus by Apple's own published sales figures, their computer sales are at all time lows in the modern era (since the turn of the Millenium), their cash cows are smartphones (soon also to nosedive) & apps. Therefore, Linux has to be gaining share, the evidence is in front of our eyes. Look at how many Topics per day created here now, as opposed to 2-3 years ago, is similar across many formerly Windows only forums that's expanded to meet demand, as well as more participation within dedicated Linux distro specific ones. This alone indicates that more are running Linux, as well as the many articles published Linux articles all over the Internet. 

Yes, numbers can be 'fudged', at one time I was very good at it! :P

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users