Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Synaptics Mouse Pad - Pointer movement suddenly stuttering

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:16 PM

First, here's the Speccy snapshot for my system:  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/0H6lggCEwf1L7QfX3VktoEf

I've only had this machine for a few weeks and I have its teal twin running in the household as well, and the twin does not have this problem.  Both machines also have all of the latest Windows 10 updates on them as well.  The Speccy snapshot for it, in case anyone wants to compare the two, is:  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/x1l8Y0DLKIvQGfq80uXwiCS

I've noticed over the last few days that the mouse pointer no longer glides along, nor does scrolling, but there are occasional pauses then movement when doing either.

I am positive I have the latest driver installed and even tried installing another that I thought might be newer, but get the message from that version on the HP website that I have a newer version installed.

This behavior is just enough to drive me crazy as far as being able to easily get the mouse pointer where I want it.  It causes me to overshoot in most cases because I continue moving my finger when the mouse is briefly in its frozen state and it "makes up for lost time" when the movement returns.

Any suggestions about how to approach fixing this would be appreciated.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:26 PM

Under Mouse properties uncheck Enhance pointer precision. You can try bumping up the speed a notch or two. If it is not checked then check it. It should smooth out the pointer movements.

Enhance-Pointer-Precision2.jpg

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,116 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:08 PM

John,

It was checked and I've unchecked it.  That seems to have helped a bit.

I thought it might be due to the latest cumulative update so I rolled that back, too, but that didn't do a thing.   It's very peculiar that my mouse is behaving this way while my partner's is not.  I have the machines configured very, very similarly.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:07 PM

Under the same Mouse Properties you should have a Synaptics tab. In the settings there is a sensitivity setting under the pointing section. Changing that may help.

pointer.jpg

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,116 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:18 PM

Strangely enough, after the latest Windows 10 Cumulative Update having applied again, and waiting it out a while (as it was still behaving strangely for about 30 minutes afterward) things seem to have returned to normal.

These are the kinds of problems I absolutely hate, as I have no real idea of the genesis nor of the solution.

I do, however, sincerely appreciate the suggestions.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users