Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Codec?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:31 PM

Where is a good clean place to get update codecs?

Edited by hamluis, 14 December 2017 - 03:42 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:39 PM

I don't know about those qualifiers..."good", "clean"...but I haven't installed codecs since my initial install and I used codecguide.com (I thhk) as the download site for the KLite pack.

I've never concerned myself with updating codecs, but it may be done automatically.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 December 2017 - 03:41 PM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:55 PM

Thanks Louis!

I will give KLite pack a try.

#4 mrpete

mrpete

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:23 AM

Yup, K-Lite is the way to go for media codecs.

Personally, I use the K-Lite Basic pack. If you also want to install media player classic, then install the Standard pack.

Of course, if you use VLC (highly recommended) then all of the codecs are already built into that program.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:50 AM

I have an issue on a few news sites, I will click on a movie and nothing happens.  I have the VLC player how does it interact with the movies on the net?

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:05 PM

I will click on a movie and nothing happens.

This could be because the web-site in question is using Flash based videos and Flash is rapidly being rendered obsolete. Firefox will allow you to run flash after a warning, I believe Chrome is even more reluctant. If I remember correctly, as of some time next year Firefox will not allow Flash at all.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:34 PM

I just tried the same sites using IE, IE does not have the issue.  I now think it has to do with the new FireFox.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 16 December 2017 - 07:34 PM.

#8 mrpete

mrpete

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:05 PM

Yeah, from your description, Phil, it sounds like a flash video issue. You did not tell us previously that the issue was in a browser. Even the new M$ Edge browser is tightening the screws on Flash video security and is making it difficult/impossible to watch flash vids there. Flash is notoriously badly written software. It voraciously consumes power and is not secure at all. Apple outright banned it years ago from their devices.

With stock VLC you have to download the video file to be played, first. Then you feed the downloaded file into the VLC player. For flash the extension for the downloaded file is FLV, but typically the website will not allow you to get the FLV file as it demands that you allow it to stream it into your browser. If you can get an FLV file then VLC will be able to play it.

If this really is an [inside the browser] issue then tweaking your codecs in VERY unlikely to resolve the it, sorry.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:15 PM

Hopefully someone will come up with something better, for now I will live with it.  Not sure if it is totally a browser issue as the same video will play on another news outlet.

Thanks ALL!

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users