Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Only Functions After Restart When This Happens.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dasheriprock

dasheriprock

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:39 AM

I was just installing something on my dad's computer when I kept having to restart the computer because it would stall or get the prolonged hourglass. Apparently, this is common for him to have to restart a few times. He said that it only works when he gets a notice from the anti-virus that was installed when he bought the computer. The notice pops up that his anti-virus has expired. When that appears he can use his computer no problem, when it doesn't then there are problems.

Any idea what the problem might be or what troubleshooting I should do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:47 AM

Often is is just a little confict somewhere in the system. I think a system cleanup would help.

http://www.kickenhardware.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3835

let us know if the problem remains.

Edited by fleamailman, 26 September 2006 - 11:51 AM.

everyday is a gift

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:32 PM

The problem is in the Anti-Virus ap you are using if the problem stops when it becomes disabled.

Dump the av ap you are using and get one of these freeware av aps.

Antivirus programs - freeware
(you can only use one resident anti-virus program on your computer. More than one will conflict)

AVG:
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

Avast Anti-virus freeware
http://www.komando.com/bestshareware.asp

I personally use AVG and recommend it highly.

One other suggestion:
Do not delete the prefetch files. If you do it will slow down your computer.
Cleaning the Prefetch folder as beneficial is a Myth and actually degrades performance. Windows by default cleans this folder at 128 entries.
It is a directory, not files but only a directory of file locations with directions for Windows where to find these files on your hard drive so when it needs them Windows does not have to search the hard drive for them.
Anyone who claims this should be cleaned for ANY reason does not understand how Windows Prefetching works.)

Edited by Enthusiast, 26 September 2006 - 03:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users