Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Desktop pc buzzing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 paulc99

paulc99

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:32 PM

Hi, I've just bought a new HP Pavilion 570-a100na desktop pc.

I'm getting an intermittent buzzing sound, which stops when I place my hand on the top of the unit.

Sometimes it seems to start all by itself, other times its when I touch the unit eg. when plugging in or removing a usb cable.

Any ideas how I can stop this?

Thanks

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:15 PM

make sure all screws are tight, could be a transformer in the power supply humming. or do you have a disc in the dvd/cd drive? maybe it's spinning up and that's what you hear at times?

#3 paulc99

paulc99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:33 AM

Thanks, all screws are good and tight, nothing in the dvd drive. Is there anything that could be vibrating that a layman like me could easily check?

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:32 AM

buzzing sound, which stops when I place my hand on the top of the unit

You have a metal vibration. It may be the case top itself is slightly vibrating. Vibrations are only going to be caused by moving parts, so that rules out 90% of your computer. So....check all your ventilation fans. If you can, temporarily disable each fan and boot up. You can do this by unplugging each fan. That does not include the CPU heasink cooling fan, obviously.Note that this is only temporary while you do your check. It may be that one of the fans is slightly out of balance, not enough to interfere with operation, but enough to start a "buzz" when the metal of the case warms and expands slightly. The buzz stops because of the pressure of your hand prevents the sheet metal from vibrating.

Another option is to glue a strip of stiff, inflexible metal across the interior top of the case for reinforcement. It sounds hinky, I know, but sometimes you must think outside the box.

Of course, returning the computer is always an option.....just don't let retailer's return date expire.

[EDIT]: another possibility: make sure the power supply screws that hold it in on the rear, exterior of the case are in good and tight.

Edited by ranchhand_, 15 December 2017 - 09:53 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:16 AM

It could be caused by the hard drives, power supply or maybe the CPU fan.

No doubt its a cheap case on HP's part that is at fault here, however I would open the machine to see if you can hear the sound with the side panel off and see where it is coming from.

Dont be scared to open the computer and have it running with the side panel off, I personally would do this to see where the sound could be coming from.

My prime suspect is the power supply as HP is known for installing cheaply made power supplies in their machines.

If its the power supply, if its under warranty and you can return it or something do so.

Edited by MadmanRB, 15 December 2017 - 10:17 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:04 AM

See if you can determine where this noise is coming from.

Open the case side and see if you can determine where the noise is coming from.  My first thought is a fan of which there are several in the case, circulation case fan, CPU heatsink fan, PSU fan, if there is a dedicated graphics card with a fan this should be checked as well.

If you find the general vicinity of this noise you can use an old mechanics trick to locate its location.  Mechanics use to use a long screwdriver to local valve noise by placing the tip of the screwdriver against parts of the engine and the handle against their ear.  This is the principal of transmission of sound through a solid object.  In your case I would suggest using a long handled plastic or wood spoon, do not use a metal spoon.  When you place the end of the spoon on the area where the noise is coming from the sound will get louder the closer you get to the device making this noise.

Let us know what you find.

Edit:  You need to be aware that your body generates static electricity which can be discharged by touching a metal conductor.  The problem here is that is only takes a discharge as small as 10 Volts to kill integrated circuits such as the modules in your RAM.  The human body can produce an electrostatic discharge in excess of 2K Volts!  Before you touch anything inside the case touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity.

Edited by dc3, 15 December 2017 - 11:08 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:12 AM

I've had few units that were pretty noisy, case rattles and such.  Found a few that had slightly off level rubber feet on the bottom, causing the case to vibrate when only three feet are in contact.  Any touching or action on the case would stop it for a while, only to return later.

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,482 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:16 AM

In your case I would suggest using a long handled plastic or wood spoon, do not use a metal spoon.  When you place the end of the spoon on the area where the noise is coming from the sound will get louder the closer you get to the device making this noise.

I would suggest using a wooden dowel rod 3/8 diameter.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:20 AM

In your case I would suggest using a long handled plastic or wood spoon, do not use a metal spoon.  When you place the end of the spoon on the area where the noise is coming from the sound will get louder the closer you get to the device making this noise.

I would suggest using a wooden dowel rod 3/8 diameter.

A dowel stick works just fine... if you have one laying around.  Most kitchens have spoons of the nature I suggested, no need to go out and purchase a dowel stick or turn one on a lathe. :hysterical:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:25 AM

Have you already ruled out the CD/DVD reader/writer?  If using home-made discs, sometimes the early spin-up and early reads causes the vibration and buzzing noise.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users