Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with password.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:50 AM

I have a friend that has just updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  She has had her Win 7 machine for several years and I think Best Buy helped her to set up her email account and password using gmail.

She is 84 and does not remember her password.  Trying to regain her password has been a real problem.  If anyone has an idea on how I can regain her password, I am sure she would appreciate you for ever.

This is what I've done:

A.  Put in email address and stated that the password was forgotten

B.  Asked for a phone to text to.  She used a house phone as her phone

number making it impossible to receive a text.

C  There was an option to receive a phone call but even though it looks

likes it is ringing the house phone  in fact it isn't.  I've been told that even if

it is a phone call it would only ring to a cell phone and not to a house phone

D.  I answered a secret question and was directed to put in a contact email. I did

but did not receive a passcode to put into the computer to reset the password.

She still has the old Windows 7 machine up and running and I am sure I can export 

to  a CSV file her contacts..  I am wondering it this is the best avenue to go.  I don't plan

on saving her emails.  If I do set up a gmail account, I would have to set up a totally 

different gmail user name and password.  Once complete I should be able to send out

a new email to her entire address list asking them to update the email address they have

on file.

If I am thinking right this should be the only viable option I can come up with.

PLEASE let me know if I've missed an idea.

The lady is 84 and doesn't want to change anything but I'm afraid she will have to.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:01 PM

If all she had was a gmail account this would not work. Signing in would require a Microsoft account if that was set up during the Windows 10 upgrade. If you are talking about a local account you can enable the hidden Administrator Account which is a local account and use that to login to the computer. 

You will need to install Lazesoft on another computer to create a bootable DVD/CD or USB flash drive then enable the hidden Administrator Account.

http://www.lazesoft.com/forgot-windows-admin-password-recovery-freeware.html

http://www.lazesoft.com/how-to-recover-administrator-password.html

In any case accessing the hidden Administrator Account should allow you to create a new local account or if all she had was a local account to login to you could reset her password from the Administrator account.

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:35 PM

I am not sure I explained myself.  I do not need the password for the administrative account.  I have not set up an administrative account on her "new" Windows 10 laptop yet.  I need to regain the password for "Gmail" so that I can complete the setup for Microsoft Outlook 10 on the new machine.  I can finish the set up of the Windows 10 machine once I can get the password for Gmail.  It is saved on her Windows 7 machine but I can get the password to transfer it over to the Windows 10 Microsoft Outlook.

Thanks for any ideas

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:35 PM

Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. This is a gmail password that needs to be recovered. I can't help with that other than to point you to the below link.

https://support.google.com/accounts/troubleshooter/2402620

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:42 PM

I haven't had to reset my GMAIL password but see if this works.

Attempt to log into her GMAIL account.

Select forgot password or whatever it says. Follow their procedure and when it's time enter the ISP provided email account so it will send a code to the ISP provided email account instead of other options. Follow through on what makes sense. Good luck.

JohnC_21 has a good reference that I believe you will encounter and will be very helpful.

EDIT:I know you have essentially tried the above but maybe creating a 2nd Google email account would come through for her so she can end up using her original GMAIL. On the secret question, was it the exact one with exact spelling as the original one?

Edited by cmptrgy, 14 December 2017 - 06:16 PM.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 02:24 PM

You might have already tried it this way but I tried the forgot password selection in my gmail account account and wasn't asked for my secret question.

It might make sense to do this on the Windows 7 computer.

When accessing the gmail page, gmail address is already recorded and I clicked on Forgot password?
Attached File  1 Forgot password.PNG   3.27KB   0 downloads

On the next page, click on another way.
Attached File  2 Try another way.PNG   2.98KB   0 downloads

Following that click on I don't have my phone.
Attached File  3 I don't have my phone.PNG   12.94KB   0 downloads

Finally get a verication code. Google will send a verification code to
--- My default email address to send the verification is automatically listed.
--- When Best Buy set up the account on her Windows 7 OS, is there a default email address listed?
Attached File  4 Get a verification code.PNG   6.73KB   0 downloads

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 03:21 PM

I would suggest you try using NirSoft's Mail PassView utility on the Windows 7 machine to retrieve the password used in Outlook on that machine for the gmail account in question.

The fact that you still have access to an Outlook instance that can connect to this Gmail account will allow Mail PassView to snag the password it's using to do so back for you.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,103 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:47 PM

Am I out of line here, or is there also a chance that she was saving this in a Browser, and could access it that way if she has the password to unlock the browser Two Step Authentication process?

Edited by pcpunk, 24 December 2017 - 06:49 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:13 PM

I tried Nirsoft's Mail Pass and it gave me passwords for all of my email accounts except gmail.
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:28 AM

According to WikiHow: How to recover a gmail password

https://www.wikihow.com/Recover-a-Gmail-Password 

Step 9
•If you were unable to enter a previous password or receive a message at your associated phone number, email, or recovery email, you'll be asked to "briefly tell us why you can’t access your account." Enter a reason and click on Submit.
•Google will get back to you in 3-5 business days

#11 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:28 AM

What browser is she using to access the gmail account? Nirsoft has specific browser password viewers as well. 

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/internet_explorer_password.html

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/passwordfox.html

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/chromepass.html

Some anti virus flag these. I have been using them for years and assure they are safe.

Edited by xrobwx, 25 December 2017 - 09:34 AM.

7581204627.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users