Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Dell laptop power button wires broken

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MacDell

MacDell

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:19 AM

Hi

As the topic title states, my old Dell laptop (about 10+ years - I think Studio?) power button wires are broken. This came about by one or both of the hinges breaking and the subsequent cracking of the plastic casing. I have included a photo which shows a black wire with three internal wires (black, brown, and red) and the piece which connects to the power button with the red wire missing, having disengaged from its housing. My question is whether I can purchase a momentary switch that would allow me to connect the three internal wires to enable me to turn my laptop on. I appreciate that my laptop is old & the casing badly damaged so I'm probably only looking for access so as I can retrieve the contents of the hard drive before I purchase a new laptop or p.c. As I know next to nothing about all this I would appreciate specific recommendations of momentary switches that would do the job (I'm in the UK) or any other possible fix.

Many thanks in advance. Attached File  IMG_20171214_140159.jpg   139.98KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:41 AM

I wouldn't worry about the power button if all you want to do is recover the contents of the drive. Purchase a USB adapter attached to another computer. The below is an example. You may have a local source. The adapter will work with both 3.5 and 2.5 drives. Both SATA and IDE.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-PATA-IDE-to-USB-2-0-Adapter-Converter-Cable-for-2-5-3-5-Inch-Hard-Drive-US-/142478650845

If the drive is 2.5 SATA you can get an adapter like the one below. It has 2 USB connectors for extra power if needed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-2-5inch-HDD-7-15pin-SATA-Hard-Drive-Cable-Adapter-for-SATA-SSD-HDD/302445557922?epid=1154527125&hash=item466b28f8a2:g:YnQAAOSwRwhZsqmj

#3 MacDell

MacDell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:03 PM

That's useful to know, thanks. I don't have anything to connect it to as yet however & although it is a long story, I currently can only connect to my old internet provider email via Outlook on this machine & it is my main email account (this account is otherwise dead as my account has been suspended as I'm in the middle of a move. This was the only fix they had & I really want to switch the laptop on short term until I can sort out various things.) I'd be most grateful for any advice in actually switching the laptop on for the short term.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

I can't help with the wiring. If you don't get a response I can PM a BC member that is more knowledgeable than me regarding hardware.

#5 MacDell

MacDell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:29 PM

Hi there John. If you don't mind I'd really appreciate it if you could contact your friend regarding my problem. Many thanks.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:36 PM

Sure, I just PM'd him so it may be awhile, perhaps tomorrow.

#7 MacDell

MacDell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:44 PM

No problem. Thanks again.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:24 AM

In the absence of a schematic, it looks like the black wire is probably a common connection (ground) and the brown and red wires are switch and indicator LED, but not necessarily in that order.

There are a couple of possibilities. One is to get a used loom to replace the broken one, e.g.:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Studio-1737-1736-1735-Power-button-WIFI-button-and-cable/202131780795?hash=item2f0ffe34bb:g:PlQAAOSwW6BaISvl

Do you have access to a multimeter to measure resistances?

If not but you're willing to do some experimenting, are you able to have the laptop together enough to operate safely, with the broken wires still accessible? If so, you could make sure the red wire can't touch anything, then rig the broken ends of the black and brown wires to make temporary through connections again, and press the power button to see if that is the button connection. If it starts up the laptop, you'll know any momentary contact switch across the black and brown those wires will work. If it doesn't, then the red and black is probably the switch combination, although that doesn't eliminate the small possibility that the switch has been damaged.

Edited by Platypus, 15 December 2017 - 05:26 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 MacDell

MacDell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for the reply Platypus. I might go ahead & purchase a loom like the one you linked to. I'm just unsure how to connect the part to my existing machine. I unfortunately don't possess a multimeter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users