Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop suddenly won't turn on after normal shutdown

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:37 AM

Hi,

My dad's computer won't turn/power on for some reason, no lights... nothing! I even had a look at the motherboard to see if it has light which is on, nope, not turned on.

I suspect the power isn't reaching the computer, I hear no beeps or any indication of a problem.

I asked my dad some questions, he said that there were no glitches, no errors, everything worked fine including the shutdown this morning.

In the evening it won't start apparently, for some reason :unsure:.

My main suspect is the power box/thing (SMPS?), looks like the most reasonable explanation since there is no power.

Any recommendations about what I should do before taking it to the computer repair guy?

Thanks in Advance! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:06 AM

Sudden, complete lack of power is, as you have accurately identified, typically the result of a power supply failure.   These often occur without warning, too.

The only things I'd suggest you might try are:

1.  With the machine unplugged, hold in the power button for about 30 seconds.  Then plug it in and see if it will start.

2.  If #1 doesn't work, try it again but also pop out the CMOS battery from the motherboard and leave it out for a short time, then put it back in and try powering up again.

If none of the above work my next step would be replacing the power supply.  This is actually one of the easier DIY jobs, particularly if you carefully note each and every connection you pull off as you pull them off so that you're sure you've replaced them all when you put the new power supply in.  It can be a tedious job, particularly the first time, but it's not difficult.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 TheDcoder

TheDcoder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:28 AM

Hello Brian, thank you for the reply!

I will try #1 and #2 if that doesn't work... glad to know that replacing power supply isn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I will post the updates as soon as I get the chance to test your suggestions :)

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:32 AM

Just as an aside, I am doubting that either of my first two suggestions will work, but they're worth trying since they're so easy to do.

Your description of the situation just screams power supply failure.  If you can manage a screwdriver, your hands for pulling out connections (but don't wiggle - pull straight out), and can cut the cable ties where necessary to free the original loom (and you may or may not wish to replace all these cable ties) you should be able to replace a power supply with ease.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 TheDcoder

TheDcoder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:48 AM

I tried both of your suggestions:

1. I pulled the plug out and held the power button for a good minute just to be safe, plugged the adapter back in and tried turning it on, didn't work :(
  2. After playing a little with the CMOS battery slot, I plopped it out using the built-in mechanism, waited for 30 seconds just to be safe again (better be safe than sorry). Plopped it back in and pressed the power button... didn't work this time too :(

Looks like you were right with your doubt.

Thanks for the tips to change the power unit. I am going to buy some cheap one off eBay, I hope that suffices. I should do more research as to what kind of power supply I choose.

P.S This desktop always used to power itself on whenever the switch is turn on, without pressing the power button. Does this change anything?

#6 TheDcoder

TheDcoder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:20 PM

Did a little research on the internet, I am thinking of buying a standard iBall ATX power supply from eBay. I will take a look at the current power supply tomorrow, in the morning with better lighting.

Edited by TheDcoder, 14 December 2017 - 12:21 PM.

#7 TheDcoder

TheDcoder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:59 AM

Dad had a look at the power supply today, took it out of the computer and opened it up, he searched for the fuse but I think he missed it.

After a while we both went on a search for a new possibly cheaper power unit and we took the old one just to see if the computer guys can take a look and fix it if possible, that was my dad's idea.

We went into a small computer shop and my dad enquired about a new power unit, the price was a little higher than expected, so he asked if they could repair the old one, then one of the dudes who were working in the shop took us to another small shop in the same complex... there was a guy who looked at the SMPS and tested some things with his electric tester(?)

It wasn't working when he tested it, he told us to come back later, so we did. After that he told us that it has been fixed and he showed us the fan spinning inside the power unit.

As I was typing this message, my dad managed to fit the power supply back in and the computer is turned on! :lol:

Dad was suspecting that there was no problem in the power unit, the unit didn't work the first time it was plugged in, he told me that he had to clean the connections and put them back in and it worked. He thinks the repair guy scammed him and took the money, but I think it was just my dad not doing the connections properly the first time :)

Anyway he got it working again, don't exactly know what was wrong, crazy experience :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users