Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner v5.38 Update - Caution about Avast Free Antivirus Install Option

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:39 AM

I use CCleaner and keep it updated. With the last few updates, I discovered at the bottom of the setup screen (where you click to install the update) an option to install Avast Free Antivirus application. The first two times I found this option, I unticked the "Yes".....as I did not want Avast Free Antivirus on my computer. The third time I missed that step and I ended up with the application installed on my computer. I had to download the Avast Free Antivirus uninstaller, restart my computer in safe mode to perform the uninstall.

Thus this post is to alert other CCleaner users to pay attention to this new feature (it was for me) when you install the update. 

BCCcleanerv5.38.jpg

Note: Sharing this discovery is not to imply that I do not recommend the application.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:18 AM

You may be offered another option, such as Google Chrome, presumably if your system does not already have Chrome installed. At least the option is clearly displayed in the dialog, you don't have to go into Custom Installation to find it like you do with some other free software.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:21 AM

Softeyes...thanks for posting that info.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 RecursiveNerd

RecursiveNerd

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:58 AM

It isn't surprising that CCleaner includes Avast Free Antivirus, considering that Avast now owns both AVG and Piriform.

#5 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:27 PM

Ran into the Avast issue also, but declined before I ran it. Am finding myself looking at all software closely prior to using...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#6 AnythingButMalware

AnythingButMalware

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:52 PM

A majority of individuals have been reporting that avast! has been installing itself alongside CCleaner without the opt-in/opt-out setting. It appears they are ruining a once-great application.

Have you tried turning it off and back on? :P

#7 CherHill

CherHill

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:35 PM

This avast won't let me remove it. It's not listed in add/remove list either and revo couldnt find it. How can I get rid of this please? 

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:40 PM

CherHill what makes you think Avast is installed? Your post tells me it isn't.

Do this:

• Please download Security Check by glax24 and save the file to the Desktop
  • Run the tool by accepting all the Security prompts
  • when complete the tool will produce a log file C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt and also copy the contents to the Clipboard
  • Simply Paste the log to your reply

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 DavidLMO

DavidLMO

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:11 PM

I am not sure about this specific case, but I have found that Unchecky helps to prevent many of these tag-along BS installations.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,497 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:33 PM

While I absolutely love Unchecky and recommend that anyone and everyone use it, it is not 100% effective and in this particular case it does not catch the checkbox due to some trick of how it's implemented (or they haven't been notified of it yet, which is unlikely).

I have yet to see a CCleaner installation where the Avast! bundled install is not presented as a choice, but the default state is opted-in, not out.  I've done a number of installations since this practice was initiated.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#11 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:52 AM

I dont update CCleaner as often as others may , as if its working  "Not Broken"  then i leave it..

My operating system hasnt changed nor the Temp Directories that get cleaned weekly.

I had a friend that always wanted to Upgrade to the Latest of whatever , and it always caused more headaches for him.

If i ever miss the Uncheck boxes in CCleaner { Which i Dont }  it wont matter anyway  ....i allready have Avast.

I cannot fault it after running it for over 10 yrs with a few tweaks here and there on 5 Machines , detections blocked maybe 20 - 30 and never had to go through a whole process of Scan / Logs / Clean....am i clean now ?

No need ....Just Image the Drive { Windows Only } and your fine. { Ive done maybe 3-4 in 10 yr Period }.

Otherwise dont willy nilly Install something before reading the Eula or whatever is Displayed on the screen Install.

Edited by Havachat, 31 January 2018 - 04:55 AM.

#12 CherHill

CherHill

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:54 AM

Buddy, because it was..halfway it seemed, I was trying to delete all I could in the folder. Some things in there were colored blue and I could not access anything. Couldnt delete the avastIU.exe in my task manager. But I finally found the delete program from here and ran it in safe mode, think its gone. Not very tech saavy :/ Appreciate all the replies, I just got notification of them today

#13 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:12 PM

To clean or not to clean? To update or not? In my opinion it's all personal choice, no different than electing to utilize any software in this technology driven world. In my opinion, I realize that I have the potential to "miss" software developers add-on options, what I do seek out is the way to fix/remove these surprises. 

For those who do use CCleaner, and Avast Free Antivirus ends up installed on your computer, Avast provides an uninstall utility that is easy to use and based on my hands on experience, it did remove the software program in it's entirety.

Avast uninstall utility: https://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users