Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just a tip in what happened

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rapha_q

Rapha_q

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:10 PM

Hi i bought a chinese notebook (BBEN G17). when it arrived, i plugged the power adapter on the wall socket and it had a blue led indicating it was turned on. Problem is when i plugged the power adapter into the notebook the blue led from the power adapter turned off. So i waited for ten seconds and then i heard a click inside the notebook and immediately a withe smoke was visible throughout the front side of the notebook. My question is, what would cause the power adapter to turn off when plugged in the notebook? Secondly, since no battery leds were ever turned on in the notebook (after pressing the power button, with or withou the power adapter plugged) wich is most probably the burned component inside the notebook? considering there was no current running through it (supposedly) is it possible to be just a fuse or it's possible to be the motherboard? thanks in advance, it would really help me to know this since i have to send this f"@& sh@& back or trying to fix it my self. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:18 PM

I suggest return it. The fault could have been caused by the PSU being faulty, the wrong voltage or polarity (wrong PSU supplied), or voltage control and converter circuitry on the laptop's mainboard failing. Smoke would suggest it's more than a fusible link, and without there being much likelihood of being able to find service information on a Chinese product, I think the chance of a repair is slim.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Rapha_q

Rapha_q
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:51 PM

i had a suspicion on the polarity because the power adapter specs are: voltage 110-240V, freq 50-60Mhz, current 2.5Amax, wich are all compatible with Brazilian 220v standards (beeing brasil where i live). Any way, I'm much appreciated for your help, your answer made me decide what to do, I'll send it back. Many thanks.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:18 PM

my electronics instructor told us student's: there's smoke inside all components and if the smoke get's out, it's broken!

return it as defective!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users