Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

major help needed with USB ports!!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jbaddick17

jbaddick17

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:48 PM

so a couple days ago i built a desktop with an Asrock 970 extreme3 mobo, 16gb ripjaws ram, fx 6300, and a gtx 1060... the board worked when i transfered it from my other pc, and now im having an issue that i cannot figure out. in the bios, ps/2 ports work just fine, but i boot into windows and they loose all function, decive manager recognises them but they dont work. to make it even worse, i have no usb function on 2.0 ports, usb 3.0 works just fine but none of the others... they provide power but dont transfer data... i am lost and need some help here before i tear my hair out...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:18 PM

What OS? Windows 10? I am assuming a USB flash drive in the rear USB 2 ports does not work, correct? Have you tried uninstalling the USB controllers and Hubs in Device Manager and then rebooting?

Page 52 of the manual. In your UEFI settings is the USB 2 controller enabled? I would have to believe it is if it's seen in Device Manager.

#3 jbaddick17

jbaddick17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:02 PM

yes, they are all enabled, whats weird is USB 3.0 works and worked fine off the start with no drivers... yes its windows 10 pro

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:55 PM

To rule out a hardware problem download the iso of Mint Cinnamon. Burn the iso to a DVD by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot the DVD and wait till you are at the desktop. Do not input anything during the boot process. Click the computer icon on the desktop. In the left pane are your devices. Attach a USB flash drive or USB external drive to one of your USB 2 ports. You should see a USB icon appear and the device mount showing the contents of the device. If you have a spare USB you can use Rufus with the iso to create a bootable USB flash drive.

If you cannot access the device on the USB 2 port in Mint there is a very good chance you have a hardware problem. If the device mounts then it's a Windows 10 problem.

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

#5 jbaddick17

jbaddick17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:56 AM

alright, downloading linux right now so ill post back in a few minutes

0 user(s) are reading this topic