Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Frustration

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dantethepandaa

dantethepandaa

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:18 PM

I recently deleted an old version of Firefox to get Firefox Quantum. Firefox Quantum wasn't connecting to any site, so I deleted everything: all app data (roaming and local), all registry entries, every little bit of Mozilla data I could get my grimy hands on. Then, I ran the actual uninstall file. I went to Mozilla again and downloaded the new browser. But still: every site, even Mozilla itself, had this error:

Your connection is not secure
The owner of search.yahoo.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.
This site uses HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) to specify that Firefox may only connect to it securely. As a result, it is not possible to add an exception for this certificate.
Learn more…
Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify and block malicious sites
search.yahoo.com uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates.
An additional root certificate may need to be imported.
Error code: SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER

No exceptions work, all my firewalls are down in that category, antiviruses are letting it through, I've rebooted, I've checked for SSL, I've searched and searched, I've changed all 4 settings that supposedly help in about:config, and I'm at a loss. All my other browsers (Opera, Chrome, Edge, and Internet Explorer) work! I've trouble shooted, with no problem, I'm on my own Wi-Fi with no injection and no website blocker! I have no malware, and I'm honestly so confused. PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I LOSE MY MIND!\

​I'm running avast antivirus, not blocking websites with invalid certificates, on Windows 10 Pro, version 1709, and OS build 16299.98. Smartscreen and Windows Defender are not blocking any of this, and I'm unsure about Windows Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dantethepandaa

dantethepandaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:23 PM

aka pertinent links

come on, I can see 3 people are reading this.

help already

#3 dantethepandaa

dantethepandaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

bing(1),help

#4 dantethepandaa

dantethepandaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:29 PM

can someone come help on my forum? its in the same tab and its asking a similar question.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:49 PM

See https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/665485/mozilla-firefox-message-this-connection-is-not-secure/ .

Louis

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:56 PM

Make sure you follow all the recommendations on this link: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#7 dantethepandaa

dantethepandaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:27 PM

also,dontchangemynames

Without asking me first

#8 dantethepandaa

dantethepandaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:29 PM

nothing freaking worked! nuts! any other recommendations?

#9 dantethepandaa

dantethepandaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:33 PM

oh well, guess I might as well uninstall firefox. Good freaking night.

#10 dantethepandaa

dantethepandaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:31 AM

anymorehelpbeforeiunintsallit?

any more help before I uninstall it?

#11 dantethepandaa

dantethepandaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:28 AM

Solution! Downloaded Cliqz from the Ghostery website through internet explorer!

#12 boilermaker27

boilermaker27

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:25 PM

I sympathize with you.  I too have Firefox and it is not working correctly.  I got rid of the hated Windows 10 and went back to 7--best thing I've done in a long time.  Reinstalled Firefox and went to get my drivers and got to the page, when I clicked on the link for my system it was supposed to have a drop down with the drivers, but nothing happened.  I tried and tried to get it to work.  Went to Internet Explorer, same links and the dropdown worked.  Same computer, works in I.E. doesn't work in Firefox so it's a Firefox problem.  I tried every setting I could find on Firefox because I want to know that when I click on something I'm not just going to get a blank page.  To make a long story short, Mozilla has nothing to offer in support, it is virtually non-existant to get a question answered.  The Mozilla forum same thing, it wouldn't take my password so I asked to to resent my password to my email address, that was two days ago, no password.  My Thunderbird same problem, have my profiles saved but can't find any way to do it, their answer was fine until they told me the old "in Windows 10" well I don't have Windows 10 anymore so those instructions are worthless.  In desperation I downloaded Google Chrome and have no problems, my bookmarks were imported successfully, in fact the import of bookmarks in Chrome that it was when I imported them into Firefox.  I am now looking at other options for email.  Mozilla stinks for support, the forum is worthless.

#13 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:59 PM

nothing freaking worked! nuts! any other recommendations?

Windows 10?  Google Chrome

Windows Vista?  Comodo Ice Dragon and Opera 36.

#14 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:04 PM

Solution! Downloaded Cliqz from the Ghostery website through internet explorer!

Thanks for the suggestion about Cliqz.

I have not tried it but am glad to be aware of it.

Maybe to try on Windows Vista and know how it goes before ever trying it on Windows 10, just to be sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users