Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Oops! clicked on a strange Link .. Help! please. :(

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:19 PM

Hey there, just have installed W10 FCU update, and did all the updates..

i'm using windows defender anti virus..

and Google chrome with uBlock origin (default filters) 

and clicked on a strange Link (that use forum threads to look like its legit) so i clicked on this (dont know the name anymore)

and then ads came up, and other bleep (no pop ups)

so i closed google chrome and clear out my history and did a quick scan with Defender..

and ublock blocked 6-22 items on the site (quick look) 

(new os with FCU btw)

should i worry? or i'm good?

-Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,124 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:33 AM

Without knowing the site or what the popups were about...can only suggest scanning and cleaning using the programs below.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of Google Chrome and Avast....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Malwarebytes - Clean Mode

• Download and install the free version of Malwarebytes
    Note: If you have Malwarebytes already installed, you don't need to install it again. Simply start from the next bullet point
  • Once Malwarebytes is installed, launch it and let it update its database. You might have to click on the little arrow by Scan Status in the middle right pane for it to do so
  • Once the database update is complete, click on the Scan tab, then select the Threat Scan button and click on Start Scan
  • Let the scan run, the time required to complete the scan depends of your system and computer specs
  • Once the scan is complete, make sure that the first checkbox at the top is checked (which will automatically check every detected item), then click on the Quarantine Selected button
    • If it asks you to restart your computer to complete the removal, do so
  • Click on Export Summary after the deletion (in the bottom-left corner) and select Copy to Clipboard. Paste the content in your next reply

If you are unable to run a scan using MBAM:

Follow the instructions in the thread below. Make sure to download the MBAR linked in it. Let me know if you're not able to launch it and run a scan.
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/198907-requested-resource-is-in-use-error-unable-to-start-malwarebytes/

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop. (compatible with Windows 7, 8 and 10)

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

Download and run the FREE online scanner from Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scan from ESET | ESET

• Place a checkmark in YES, I accept the Terms of Use, then click Start. Wait for ESET Online Scanner to load its components.
  • Select Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
  • Click Advanced Settings, then place a checkmark in the following:
    • Remove found threats
    • Scan archives
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • Click Start to begin scanning.
  • ESET Online Scanner will start downloading signatures and scan. Please be patient, as this scan can take quite some time.
  • When the scan is done, click List threats (only available if ESET Online Scanner found something).
  • Click Export, then save the file to your desktop.
  • Click Back, then Finish to exit ESET Online Scanner.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:41 AM

Without knowing the site or what the popups were about...can only suggest scanning and cleaning using the programs below.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of Google Chrome and Avast....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Malwarebytes - Clean Mode

• Download and install the free version of Malwarebytes
    Note: If you have Malwarebytes already installed, you don't need to install it again. Simply start from the next bullet point
  • Once Malwarebytes is installed, launch it and let it update its database. You might have to click on the little arrow by Scan Status in the middle right pane for it to do so
  • Once the database update is complete, click on the Scan tab, then select the Threat Scan button and click on Start Scan
  • Let the scan run, the time required to complete the scan depends of your system and computer specs
  • Once the scan is complete, make sure that the first checkbox at the top is checked (which will automatically check every detected item), then click on the Quarantine Selected button
    • If it asks you to restart your computer to complete the removal, do so
  • Click on Export Summary after the deletion (in the bottom-left corner) and select Copy to Clipboard. Paste the content in your next reply

If you are unable to run a scan using MBAM:

Follow the instructions in the thread below. Make sure to download the MBAR linked in it. Let me know if you're not able to launch it and run a scan.
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/198907-requested-resource-is-in-use-error-unable-to-start-malwarebytes/

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop. (compatible with Windows 7, 8 and 10)

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

Download and run the FREE online scanner from Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scan from ESET | ESET

• Place a checkmark in YES, I accept the Terms of Use, then click Start. Wait for ESET Online Scanner to load its components.
  • Select Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
  • Click Advanced Settings, then place a checkmark in the following:
    • Remove found threats
    • Scan archives
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • Click Start to begin scanning.
  • ESET Online Scanner will start downloading signatures and scan. Please be patient, as this scan can take quite some time.
  • When the scan is done, click List threats (only available if ESET Online Scanner found something).
  • Click Export, then save the file to your desktop.
  • Click Back, then Finish to exit ESET Online Scanner.

its just a whole new OS i dont want to download programs right now to scan the pc, just wants to know if this is bad or not? the OS is up-to-date and secured with Windows Defender and the Exploit protection (in windows defender) + controlled folder acces (this protects all the OS files/maps from viruses, malware) should i leave it so? :/ 

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:26 PM

I know less than you do as to the site you visited and what you saw. Using those programs to clean and scan will not cause any damage.

That is the only way I know of to find out if any adware or something more malicious needs to be dealt with. Up to you....of course.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:53 PM

I know less than you do as to the site you visited and what you saw. Using those programs to clean and scan will not cause any damage.

That is the only way I know of to find out if any adware or something more malicious needs to be dealt with. Up to you....of course.

i have scanned my pc with AdwCleaner from Malwarebytes site.. and there's no virus, other malicious things found! should it be okay? :D

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,124 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:03 PM

Are you saying AdwCleaner found adware? You keep asking a question that no one can answer. Doing the scans is the

right thing to do.

#7 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:38 PM

Are you saying AdwCleaner found adware? You keep asking a question that no one can answer. Doing the scans is the

right thing to do.

sorry i'm Dutch :(

No! i mean AdwCleaner has not founded any virus, malware, or other things.. 

Should it be good now?

Edited by Doghen, 14 December 2017 - 01:39 PM.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:06 PM

Run the other scans...that is my advice.

#9 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:36 AM

I don't trust Ccleaner.. its peace of bleep program that doesn't nothing, and i have scanned my pc with AdwCleaner, and it founded nothing.. so should this be enough? :/

#10 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:38 PM

Hey i have scanned the pc with Eset scanner and everything is Clean! Thanks for the Advice :D

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users