Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to access "Settings" from start menu, Help!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

Not used this machine since June, it's an NUC running 10 Pro.

First problem was reintroducing it to the screen's on-board speakers; a case of mild amnesia!

Then I found I couldn't view any of my photos, double click was ignored as was selecting "Photos" from the context menu, the only other offering was "Paint"!

In my quest to sort this I then discovered the more serious problem of it's inability to summon up "Settings" from the "Start" menu.

Having Googled around, I'm suspecting that the reason is to do with the fact that the latest update, before that of today (KB4049411 - 13th December) was 20th of December last year!!

If that is so, is there some way I can force a further check for updates?

Otherwise, has anyone got a solution, bearing in mind that the machine was working just fine back in June?

Edit:

Also noticed that the "Tile" for the "Photos" App is red in colour whilst the rest are generally Blue!

Edit 2

Just found that the clock in the taskbar is one hour ahead, "Adjust Time /Date" and of course "Settings" from the context menu are once more ignored!! 

Edited by six-h, 13 December 2017 - 01:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:57 PM

in the search bar if you type "check for updates" you should be able to start the updates, if your search bar works.

#3 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for that mightywiz, just done a shut down and re strated after 30 mins and most things seem to have sorted themselves out!

I can even watch YouTube without the dratted "There's been an error" message!

The clock is still convinced that its an hour later than it actually is though, despite the settings page being set to "UTC + 00.00 Dublin Edinburgh Lisbon and London and Daylight saving to automatic.

I've run out of ideas on how to convince it that UTC is currently 20:46, not 21:46 :smash:

I've also been requested to review my spying sorry, security settings prior to the creators update, so it seems that updates is also working!

Just need to convince it to check Google for the correct UTC Time!!

...Oh yes, I would have posted this a little earlier had it not been for "Edge" throwing a hissy fit and stalking off home just as I had completed my post!

Don'cha just love Microsoft, I thought they had fixed these random disappearances of Edge up its own chuff!

Grrr 

Edit:

Finally got the time "Change" button to work and manually changed the displayed time to UTC=00.00...result!

Another odd thing, there are now Updates to be installed according to the "Settings Update Status" page however there are no "Notifications", and the shut down button does not mention any pending updates!

I despair of this OS, Vista was much more "logical"!!

Never thought I'd say that!

Edited by six-h, 13 December 2017 - 04:07 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

With regard to your clock problem you should also go into your BIOS and check that the clock there is set to tthe correct time and date. Usually to get into the BIOs you press either 'F2' or 'Del' while the BIOS screen is showing immediately after you switch on, again usually, that is the screen with the maker's name all over it.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:11 PM

windows 10 now waits for inactive time before it will download updates automatically.  so if you leave your computer on overnight it will install updates by itself.

and most updates happen on the 2nd & 4th tuesday of each month.

"Patch Tuesday" and then "Crash Wednesday" happens.  lol

Edited by mightywiz, 13 December 2017 - 06:13 PM.

#6 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for that Chris, since the "Change" button on the Settings page that deals with "Time and Date", I managed to convince it that UTC was in fact an hour earlier than dislplayed, and it's holding after several reboots.
It subsequently updated to build 1607 and then told me that if there were no uninstalled updates, I could proceed to build 1703.

I downloaded the file and commenced installation about an hour and a half ago, no idea how long it will take but I really don't like leaving the machine running over night so I hope it will complete soon!

Ah! completed and its not 1703 but 1709!

Have to explore it over the next few days.

Always unsure of what "Security" settings to switch on/off, any advice in that direction would be gratefully received! 

Edited by six-h, 13 December 2017 - 07:36 PM.

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:24 PM

Hi, "Always unsure of what "Security" settings to switch on/off, any advice in that direction would be gratefully received!"  

This computer I am using now is one of our test machines many elements of the win 10 OS are removed, including all modern apps, all telemetry services, and associated utils, most scheduled tasks, no startup items. no edge, no defender, no cortana and classic shell installed. It is a top spec performance gaming machine, compared to an out of the box same spec machine with a fresh totally unaltered version of win 10 it is almost impossible to notice any performance differences.

The point is, if your machine is spec'd to run win 10, you will not gain much if anything by removing elements of the OS, unless security is a real issue, it is best to leave everything alone, your machine will perform well and you will enjoy it more. 

NOTE:-  If your machine is not really that well spec'd for win 10 modifying the OS can make a significant difference, this in our case applies to poorer Asian countries where second hand machines are commonly used.

#8 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:43 PM

Hi jenae, sorry for the delayed response, ...Christmas getting in the way again!

Wow!, ...Thanks for making me feel better about my own paranoia, I'm gratified to feel that I'm not quite yet a practicing member of the tin-foil hat brigade!! tinfoilhat.gif

I've been using a Vista 32bit desktop for the last 10 years and now the old dog is on it's last legs, I've been forced to upgrade!

I now have two Win10 machines:

One is like yours, a gaming machine, Medion Erazer  X6823 Notebook (MD 98254)

It has an Intel® Core ™ i7-3630QM processor, 16Gb RAM, 750GB HDD + 128GB SSD, GTX 670MX +  NVidia Optimus, 15.6 "Full HD screen and a Blu-Ray drive.

I bought it two years ago as a used machine running Windows 8 and I upgraded to 8.1 and subsequently to Win10 home, ...but continued using The Vista machine until support ended, and beyond!

In truth I'm not a gamer and it is far more powerful than I would ever require, but it was my "gateway" to Windows 10.

In the meantime, I also built an Intel NUC6i5SYH running an i5 Skylake CPU with 8GB RAM and installed Win10 Pro, intending that to be my main "fixed" machine.

The Intel Communities website were most helpful and gave me similarly "extreme" instructions in the event that I wished to totally lock down my machine.

Good advice it may be but I feel you would the need to be a far more accomplished user than I to initially achieve that degree of security, and also to be able to accomplish much with the machine afterwards!!

My post was prompted by my shock when I discovered that both machines seem to be set to store EVERYTHING on the "C:" drive, which in both cases are the smaller solid state drives.

This I feel is a waste of expensive "real estate" but in attempting to seek the correct way to re-direct these files to the larger installed HDD/SSHD's led me into deeper water than my poor brain is capable of dealing with!  :scratchhead:

I would be most grateful for reliable instruction on how to achieve what I've come to understand (rightly or wrongly!) are now known as moving "The Libraries", so that all that resides on the "C:" drive is the O.S., and any intransigent programmes which refuse to be directed to the SSHD.

All else would then be assigned to the SSHD and importantly would be easily retrievable by the O.S.

ie. achieved without "breaking the system!"

The information I came across whilst seeking the answer to this problem side-tracked me into the realms of cybersecurity, which I am also in need of advice upon, albeit just concerning the enabling/disabling of the standard Microsoft provided functions.

Rightly or wrongly, I feel reasonably confident that together with a modicum of common sense, MS Elements will protect me during day to day use but I wonder what experience others have had regarding the use of IBM Trusteer "Rapport"?

This was offered to me way, way back when it was an Israeli product, and since my Bank offered it, I felt obliged to install it on my 32bit Vista machine with 2GB of RAM!

suffice it to say, it may have been cheaper for me to visit Tel Aviv than endure all the remote sessions it took to wrestle back control of my machine!

It was an experience I would not wish to endure again, and I particularly don't want to give away any of the lightning speed I'm now enjoying after Vista!

I suspect that the increased RAM I now have would likely cope with this without me noticing but I would be grateful for the experience of others before installing it since it hooks so deeply into the system it is almost easier to do a re-install than to attempt to remove it!!

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

Opinions about Trusteer vary, I personally do not use it. Essentially it is the various banks adding another layer of cover their backsides and it only becomes relevant should fraudulent activity take place on your on-line account. But if you can demonstrate that you have a recognised and up to date A/V and anti-malware software on your computer and that you take reasonable care with passwords you would be golden in any case.

As for the security and privacy settings you mention, my own preference is to set security settings high and, in privacy, set them to the minimum of data shipped out. I have no personal objection to sending MS, among others, information on system and software crashes but beyond that - it's my computer and my business.

The point you raise about storage locations is a valid one. If you use the default Windows storage locations - My docs, My photos, My music etc. - then these are stored on the C:\ drive, actually in the C:\Users\ folder. If you do not use the default locations then you can store them anywhere on your computer. With most 'full-fat' applications - as opposed to store apps - you can usually set the default storage location to be whatever you wish. Good thing too !  I have about 600 GB of photos (all backed up to external drives) on this system plus about another 600 GB of music, videos etc. dotted around.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#10 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 849 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:56 PM

Hi, to make it easier, this is a good tutorial on moving data:-

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/moving-your-personal-data-folders-in-windows-vista-the-easy-way/

#11 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:20 PM

Hi Chris, thanks for your thoughts on "Rapport", I look forward to any others who have experience of using this software on modern machines, as I'm curious to know if it has any discernible impact on performance given the amount of RAM which can be addressed in the 64bit environment.

My preference in AV software during the Vista years was "AVG Free" which with the aforementioned dose of common sense seem to have kept me safe since 1995.

I installed their "AVG With ZEN" product on my Vista machine and my Laptop and later on my brand new shiny NUC machine, having a persistent problem with it, I contacted AVG and they attempted to correct the problem with a remote session.

Accessing the registry of both my second hand Erazer Laptop and my new build NUC, they showed me that there were identical residual gaming artefacts present in the registry of both machines.

They denied that their ZEN software had infected the registry of my then virgin NUC machine with these absolutely identical registry entries despite their software being the only common element.

Hence I have since then relied upon just "MS Essentials" for both W10 machines. I now intend to install both MBAM and SAS for periodic scans as was my practice with the Vista machine and trust that this would constitute "acceptable practice" in the event of anything untoward occurring!

Pleased to note that my instincts regarding security and privacy settings are in line with your own., I'll follow that ethos!

Regarding storage locations, I had an horrendous time with Vista when I wanted to move my "Videos" folder which was a blue "shell folder", from my Data partition which was getting full, to my "Recovery" partition which was sparsely populated, I was told to right click the folder and select the "Location Tab" where I could then specify a new path.

...yeah! right! The "Shell Folder" disappeared from the first location but re appeared in the new one as a simple buff coloured folder minus the properties of the "Shell" nomenclature.

Took me 6 months to undo the carnage with the help of an Aussie MVP, very wary of attempting this kind of thing now as I don't want to mess up my (comparatively) clean OS. (Grrr AVG!)

#12 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:35 PM

lol, jenae, thanks for that link, just reading through it quickly, it looks to be practically the same method that I was persuaded to use to move the "My Videos" folder in Vista (see my last post above) with disastrous consequences!

I'm sure I have stumbled across a tick box or radio button or some such simple "Option" in my wanderings through "Settings" (which I can no longer find) which offers to move the "Libraries" to another location.

Wish I could remember these things and their locations when I stumble across them!!

I'll investigate that link further just to be certain of the outcome! :)  

#13 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 849 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:11 AM

Hi, I suspect this is more likely what you want:-

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-move-your-default-data-folders-to-a-different-drive/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users