Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W10 File History DELETED, Recovery Scan Help - Lost Litecoin Wallet.DAT Core

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SPCR2602

SPCR2602

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

Thank you for taking time to read my post / question. 

I did something so stupid! 

Short Version: Windows 10 installed on M.2 toshiba 256gb SSD, Lost a file, Had File History Setup To a 3TB spinning hard drive, but for some reason I disabled it and deleted the backup files weeks BEFORE I noticed I was missing a file (Litecoin Wallet.Dat file). I know for sure it was running at the time when I file was still on the SSD. The second I noticed my mistake (be in two months later) I made a mirror image of my SSD and used the copy of the ssd for my primary OS drive, I did not use the original ssd to run Windows any more. I made one more mirror image before sending the original ssd in for professional data recovery. Being a SSD they were unable to get the file I needed. BUT data recovery on a conventional spinning drive is much more effective the say. Since I know I had file history setup at the time - there should be a copy of the file somewhere on the 3tb drive. I have now made a mirror image of the 3tb hard drive onto a new drive and removed the original - to preserve any deleted data.. I just need to figure out what to look for. 

Does windows 10 Pro X64 "files history" compress or encrypt the backup (like w7 backup did), or can you just navigate the backed up file structure and see normal files (I do not think it works this way but I wish it did) ..

I have a good deal of experience in software data recovery and have had decent success when I know exactly what I am looking for, but this is more complex. 

I did a deep scan and searched for Wallet.Dat but nothing came back - this leads me to believe the data is compressed, or changed, or renamed in some way.

So perhaps I need to try to recover the entire file history folder and then try to extract the file I need from that. (Just got that idea while typing, I will try that now)

Any tips or info would be GREAT. Thank you so much! 

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 13 December 2017 - 05:42 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to 'Backup, imaging, disk management'.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:41 PM

I was going to suggest Piriform's Recuva, however I'm not sure that it will help at this point.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 SPCR2602

SPCR2602
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:46 PM

Thank you. 

I did setup a file history backup on another machine and it DOES appear to manipulate the file structure but not the file name themselfs.. At at least for files on the C drive, for the D drive it just looks like a mirror copy of the data. Wonder why it would treat D and C differently (Documents, Photos, Videos, & Music are mapped to my D Drive, Is not backing up my entire D drive) 

Lucky little surprise. Turns out the 3.5" 2tb drive is failing! Im finding lots of files that went missing. 

#4 SPCR2602

SPCR2602
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:28 PM

I have just learned that File History Does NOT, by default, backup anything in the AppData folder :-(

"Hi Alexander,

But default it doesn't. If you want to include the appdata folder you'll need to include it into the backups. Also please keep in mind that FH doesn't use VSS, so any open/locked files (such as Outlook PSTs) in the AppData folder will not get backed up. If this answers your question, please flag this as an answer for the benefit of other users. Thank you."

#5 SPCR2602

SPCR2602
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:30 PM

Also, if anyone else is wonder - file history DOES NOT modify the file system or folder structure at all (I just didn't wait long enough to analyze the backed up files)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users