Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need one usable browser for XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Codaeus

Codaeus

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:19 AM

Are there any browsers for XP Pro that are not fixated on SSL/TLS certificates? I need one reliable browser to get me to any site I want to go to without any problems. Already have three security browsers wanting to be my Nanny: SRWare Iron, IceDragon, and WhitehatAviator. Now I need one to just be a browser, and get me to where I need to go. Is there any browser like that?

Edited by hamluis, 13 December 2017 - 07:41 AM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:24 AM

Sorry - is there a question?

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

Mozilla FireFox is the only browser left that still supports XP.

Mozilla was supposed to end support for XP in September and opted to extend support until March 2018.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:43 PM

Well, obviously so does IE - hence my post above - what, specifically, is the question?

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,262 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

Well, obviously so does IE - hence my post above - what, specifically, is the question?

Well, not exactly.  No version of IE that runs on XP has been officially supported for years now and many sites are blocking IE8 from even being allowed to browse them because of the security Swiss cheese both it and Windows XP demonstrably are.

I believe the original poster wants someone to recommend a web browser that essentially ignores every modern security protocol in existence, and that websites don't block, so that he or she can continue browsing on XP without being bothered by "these trivialities."

Edited by britechguy, 13 December 2017 - 04:20 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 750 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:48 PM

An Oct. 2017 article re: XP & browsers may show alternatives, also mentioned are a couple at the bottom under Other Browsers, of which I know nothing about-

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/browser-secure-old-windows-xp-system/
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#7 Codaeus

Codaeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:02 PM

An Oct. 2017 article re: XP & browsers may show alternatives, also mentioned are a couple at the bottom under Other Browsers, of which I know nothing about-

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/browser-secure-old-windows-xp-system/

Unfortunately the link is about secure browsers, and secure browsers all have an OCD fixation on security certificates, which means none of these will do anything more than SRWare Iron, IceDragon, and WhitehatAviator will do. Here's my current routine. To surf the internet I have to keep all three browsers open. So I may start off using SRWare. I want to go to Linux.org. Oopsie! SRWare browser does not approve of their certificate, so its a no go. I have to copy/paste that URL into Whitehat. Oopsie! Whitehat don't like that certificate either...time to try IceDragon. No go there too. Now I have to add that URL to a Word doc list, take it to the library computer, which 'automagically' takes me to every site on the list without a whimper or whine about whether its security certificate is pure and proper, and up-to-date, and whatever. Either it's because they are running Win7, or IT has found a way to neuter, declaw, and pull the fangs out of their Chrome, Firefox, and IE. Either way, I have zero interest in secure browsers. I need just one browser that takes me where I want to go irregardless of whether the site has a pristine certificate.

#8 Codaeus

Codaeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:23 PM

Well, not exactly.  No version of IE that runs on XP has been officially supported for years now and many sites are blocking IE8 from even being allowed to browse them because of the security Swiss cheese both it and Windows XP demonstrably are.

I believe the original poster wants someone to recommend a web browser that essentially ignores every modern security protocol in existence, and that websites don't block, so that he or she can continue browsing on XP without being bothered by "these trivialities."

That's right! The OP wants to know if there is any browser (note I did not say secure browsers) that:

1. Work on XP Pro.

2. Either do not check security certificates, or failing that, do not give a rats rump whether or not comodo.com, linux.org, or any other site has a new, valid (and perfectly approved by everyone) security certificate.

In short, I am wanting a browser that does what a browser was originally intended to do...get you to the site you want to go to. Like I already said, but I guess I have to say it again, I already have three browsers that want desperately to be my Nanny, Nursemaid, and Bodyguard. I do not need another one, I need a browser that goes where I tell it to go, instead of telling me where I can go. And might I ask just where your quote "these trivialities." comes from? Don't see it in any posts on this thread.

#9 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:00 AM

I suppose with whats out there ,  you have to try them and see what works for your surfing habits.

Ive been using Maxthon for the past 3 yrs and have no issues with anything.

Give that a go on XP , or install win7 and move with the time`s.

#10 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:34 AM

Opera, maybe.  It works well for most sites on Windows Vista.  I am not sure about for XP.

The version of Opera you need, if it will work, is 36. 

SlimJet 11, I'm not sure about.  Check their site for information on this.  Maybe okay on XP, maybe not.  Still somewhat ok on Vista, but at this point, either try Opera 36, or move on to Windows 10.

#11 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:36 AM

Opera, maybe.  It works well for most sites on Windows Vista.  I am not sure about for XP.

The version of Opera you need, if it will work, is 36. 

SlimJet 11, I'm not sure about.  Check their site for information on this.  Maybe okay on XP, maybe not.  Still somewhat ok on Vista, but at this point, either try Opera 36, or move on to Windows 10.

Also consider, this time of year, finding a new computer with Windows 10 for less than $400 is possible because of holiday sales promotions.  Then, you can use a modern up-to-date browser again like Edge, Google Chrome, or maybe Firefox.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,262 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:21 AM

Even for browsers that check security certificates, which these days is virtually all of them and for good reason, you can elect to bypass when an issue is found and store the exception so if you're going back to the same sites again you won't be nagged again.

I can count on less than two hands the number of times I've been stopped due to security certificate issues over a period of several years.  In several cases I knew the warning to be incorrect (or, more accurately, technically correct but not representing a threat or misdirection) and I simply stored the exception and life goes on.

There are very good reasons that these security checks have been put into place and no modern browser is without them.   

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:51 PM

Another possible cause of this certificate problem is a dead CMOS battery. Check your date and time. Errors here are usually caused by a failed CMOS battery and on a computer still running XP this would not be surprising. Usually it is a cheap and easy job to replace this batery.

Chris Cosgrove

#14 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,361 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:10 PM

Why not just get an older, out if date browser for XP that did not check certificates?

I mean if security us not a concern this may be your best solution.

For example, an older version of Firefox.

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

#15 Codaeus

Codaeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:32 PM

Why not just get an older, out if date browser for XP that did not check certificates?

I mean if security us not a concern this may be your best solution.

For example, an older version of Firefox.

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

Good advice! I got Firefox 30.0, but that alone was not enough, as it was also fixated on being my Nanny/Nursemaid, and 'protecting' me from such cutthroat sites as linux.org and comodo.com. It took the 'Skip Cert Error' add-on to bring its OCD fixation under some control. I consider it a temporary solution. A more permanent and complete answer lies in SSL circumvention via 'fiddler', and other mitm proxy apps like Charles 4.2.1 / 4.3 Beta 2.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users