Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Creation Tool question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sportsfan1

sportsfan1

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:22 AM

Hi, I have never had any problems using the Media Creation Tool to perform a Windows 10 clean installation until yesterday so I have a couple of questions.

1. The tutorial here says after going to the Microsoft site and selecting the Download Tool (Media Creation Tool) option that the Media Creation Tool should be saved to the PC and run from there.
On Microsoft site the instructions are to Download the Tool and select Run (no saving to the PC). Is there a reason for saving it to the PC first as suggested on some sites?
2. Yesterday I used the Media Creation Tool to do a clean install. Everything went fine with the download. After the two hour download the Media Creation Tool automatically started to create the media. Everything working normally so far..then suddenly at 50% a screen popped up with an unexpected error message Error code beginning 0x80004005. That was it I had to stop there.
After searching the net it seems that other people have had the same issue after the Fall Creators Update...with the installation stopping at 50%.  I have no idea how to sort this out. After contacting Microsoft Chat Support they didn't offer any suggestions that worked either.
Can anyone advise please
Many Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:41 AM

1.  I always save it just so if it "barfs out," and it sometimes does during download of the ISO file, that I don't have to download the thing again.

2.  This is one of the reasons, among several, that I do not have the Media Creation Tool actually create the bootable media.  If anything goes wrong once the ISO is downloaded (and stored who knows where) you have to start all over again.  Far better to have it download the ISO via the "Create media for other machines" (or similar wording) option and then either burning the ISO to DVD or using Rufus or similar to create a bootable USB.   All it took was one failure after a download that took hours (I'm on DSL) to have me never use the Media Creation Tool to create the bootable media.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your feedback. Ive always been happy with the Media Creation Tool until now! My broadband is snails pace as well. It was 2hrs 15mins downloading and I lost it all when it fouled while creating the Media (USB flash drive) so Ive got to start from the beginning. I'm considering using Rufus now after using the Media Creation Tool to download just the ISO. 

My thinking was a third party tool like Rufus might be less reliable..thats why Ive always used the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to do the whole lot (download the ISO and create the bootable media) thinking that because its Microsoft it'll be more reliable than using Rufus. Do you use Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive? Ive used it once before and it went great but I decided to use Media Creation Tool afterwards for the reasons Ive stated above. Not a good idea by the sounds of it

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:40 PM

I have always used Rufus to create bootable USB media and never had an issue with the final result.

I have only tried to use the Media Creation Tool (MCT) two times.  The first time it failed to create the bootable USB drive just as you've experienced, the other it created it, but it wouldn't work when I tried to use it.  In both instances I had to start all over from scratch since I had no copy of the ISO file at the end of the process.  I'd probably use the MCT for bootable USB creation if I had the option of creating an independent copy of the ISO file when doing so, but I've found no way to do that.

I just like having the ISO file to be able to burn either a bootable USB drive or a DVD, depending on the hardware I'm going to be working with.  I tend to favor DVD, just slightly, but have used bootable USB as well.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:15 PM

A question for you Brian about using Rufus. Do you insert the USB flash drive before you launch the Rufus App? Or do you launch the Rufus app first (all the options would start blank) before inserting the flash drive and selecting the ISO. Ive seen it suggested both ways so I'm not sure if it matters or not

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

I don't think it matters.   I've done it both ways if memory serves.

#7 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:11 PM

Cheers for your help Brian. I just want to make sure I don't have any more issues. To recap Brian. You use the Media Creation Tool just to download the Windows 10 ISO image. You then select finish. Then you use Rufus to create the Bootable Windows 10 flash drive using the ISO image downloaded using the Media Creation Tool ?

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

That's the condensed version.

#9 KUPOkinz

KUPOkinz

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:22 PM

If all fails and you cant get an image, PCRiver (official 3rd party legal Microsoft representative) hosts every form of Windows 10 isos ever made. It's kinda a fallback website that microtechs link you too when all else fails.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users