Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Critical Kernel Power 41 (63): Black screen, restart when playing games

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gondorcalls

gondorcalls

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:35 AM

Kernel Power 41 63

Computer turns black and automatically restarts when playing high demanding games, no BSOD, not overclocked.

Games that have crashed:

• Far Cry 4

• The Division

• Fortnite

• Overwatch

• Counter Strike GO

• Last Man Standing

Specs:

• Cooler master 550w PSU

• RX 470 4gb

• Pentium g4560

• Asrock MATX b250m MOBO

• 2x 4gb rip jaws RAM

• WD 1tb HDD

• Gammamax 300 CPU Cooler

I built the PC myself, errors started when playing high demanding games for the first time. Ran stress tests when first built, prime95 and heaven whilst logging temps for 8 hours, no crashes or high temps (max cup temp 54 C, max gpu temp 76 C). However, when playing games, within an hour, computer crashes (always kernel 41 63).  I sent the PC to the outlet where I purchased the parts from, they had their own technicians run tests on all the parts. Initially, they found a fault with the PSU, which was at that time a 500w EVGA bronze. They replaced it with a 550w Cooler master gold. Still experienced 41 63, black out and restarts. Took it back, I said I suspected the MOBO was the issue, so they replaced it under warranty, problem persisted. I took it back for a third time, they took it to their head office, did extensive testing and found a fault with the CPU, they replaced it. Took them 3 weeks to complete... issue is still not resolved.

At this point, my computer has been disassembled and parts replaced multiple times.

Things I have done:

• Updated all drivers (CPU, GPU, BIOS, sound etc)

• Clean installation of Windows 10 multiple times

• Stress tested with Heaven and Prime95

• Logged temperatures while stress testing and playing games, haven’t seen any high temps

• Disabled and enabled different sound drivers to test for conflicts

• Replaced PSU, MOBO and CPU

I’ve logged temps when both stress testing and while playing games. Here is my latest HWINFO log when playing Fortnite and then black screen and restart, kernel power 41 63. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jmvy2lAujUrl-9FGsQPYXLyE_1EKTm-C/view?usp=sharing

Happy to run any tests, suggestions and upload further logs. Really stuck on what to do....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:46 AM

Temps are only measured by sensors - so if there's not a sensor where the temp gets hot, there won't be any reading.

I'd first suggest playing the game with the side open.

Play until it shuts off/restarts.
Shut the system down and unplug it from the wall.
Feel around inside the case WITHOUT TOUCHING ANYTHING!!!

Just get near enough to feel the heat.  If it's hot enough to shut the system down, it should be hot enough to feel when nearing it (without touching it)
You can get 2nd or 3rd degree burns if not careful (I found this out because of a broken sensor on a video card - and got 2nd degree burns from messing around inside the case).

The other suggestion is to try another video card.  If you don't have another one to try - you can purchase one from a shop that'll let you return it for your money back (if it's not needed).

If all that doesn't work, Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504
The Event ID 41 error is simply Windows saying that it doesn't know why it shutdown.

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with one of these free utilies: 
SpeedFan:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
HWMonitor:  https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
HWInfo:  https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 gondorcalls

gondorcalls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:38 PM

Going to try testing the temperature with my hand following your steps right now. Also have an RX 460 I will use to test, will post results here later today.

In the meantime, here are the results from the tests you've quoted.

Attached Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App zip file.

Speccy link: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/nHLr1I8xFcPccULZjFcL7Lp

Attached Admin.evtx zipped file.

Event ID 41 error has no stop error BugcheckCode listed (it's a 0).

Attached Files

Edited by gondorcalls, 15 December 2017 - 05:43 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:42 PM

Although there's a lot of errors in the Admin logfile, I don't see that any of them repeat around the time that the Event ID 41 occurs.

This is most often a sign of a hardware problem.  I suggest running ALL of these free hardware tests:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please run ALL of the tests and let us know the results.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version P2.10) dates from May of 2017.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

This device has problems in Device Manager:

KabyLake PCI Express Root Port #10 - A2B1    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A2B1&SUBSYS_A2B11849&REV_00\3&11583659&0&A2    This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.

It appears that this driver is available from Microsoft Update - so you should be able to right click on it in Device Manager and tell it to update.

If that doesn't work, then start with the Intel drivers listed on the AsRock support webpage for your motherboard.

MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner (along with EVGA Precision) are known to cause BSOD's in some Windows systems (it's driver is usually RTCore64.sys).  Please un-install them immediately!

If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting.  Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 gondorcalls

gondorcalls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:28 AM

The other suggestion is to try another video card.  If you don't have another one to try - you can purchase one from a shop that'll let you return it for your money back (if it's not needed).

Unfortunately I got sidetracked and was only able to get back to my computer today. Experienced a BSOD when updating drivers, page_fault_in_nonpaged_area ntoskrnl.exe . Found someone else had this issue here, you posted a helpful response to it, relevant quote is below.

You have a TP-LINK Wireless USB Adapter:

I do not recommend using wireless USB network devices.
These wireless USB devices have many issues with Win7 and later systems - using older drivers with them is almost certain to cause a BSOD.
Should you want to keep using these devices, be sure to have the latest W7/8/8.1/10 drivers - DO NOT use older drivers!!!
An installable wireless PCI/PCIe card that's plugged into your motherboard is much more robust, reliable, and powerful.

I have been using a TP-Link TL-WN821N V5 Wireless USB Adapter. Thought that might have something to do with the crashes I've been getting, so I downloaded the driver for my Wireless USB Adapter from the TP-Link website. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the issue. I then switched to Ethernet and 41 63 crashes still persisted so it wasn't the Wireless USB Adapter.

Also have an RX 460 I will use to test, will post results here later today.

Switched out my RX 470 for a RX 460 today. I've been using the game Far Cry 4 to test for 41 63 crashes, they generally happen within 20 minutes of gameplay (no longer than 30 minutes). I ran the game for 2 hours, no crashes and so far no crashes since switching out the cards 4 hours ago. I'll be trying some other games that previously crashed the computer tomorrow, for additional testing.

I presume this means that the crashes are caused by a hardware issue with my RX 470? I'm concerned that if I get it replaced with another RX 470, it could turn out to be some sort of conflict with my hardware, is this very likely?

I've stopped using the USB Wireless Adapter for now, will probably have to go back to using it until I get a PCIe wireless card.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Edited by gondorcalls, 25 February 2018 - 06:31 AM.

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:11 AM

I was going to mention the LAN adapter but you caught that. It shows you are only connected at 15 KBs per second.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:47 AM

I recently stopped that speech about USB wifi adapters as I hadn't seen problems with them in a long while (and the fact that my son uses one without any issues at all! )

That being said, it'd be nice if you could test the system without the adapter and see if that helps.

By this I mean physically removing the adapter from the system and uninstalling ALL of it's software.

Sometimes using a long, long ethernet cord is possible.

Or, moving the system to be closer to the connection point.

Also, sometimes updating doesn't remove the problem files (it's because some developers tell their software only to replace changed files)

As such, it's best to uninstall the old software, then reboot, then install a freshly downloaded copy.

Even that may not remove everything - but it's better than just letting the installer decide :0)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users