Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Holiday ‘This and That’ to Share (Music, Stories, Jokes…anything!)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:32 PM

How about some fun!

December: A Month of Multicultural Holiday Celebrations.

The celebrations have started, and there are so many taking place around the world. I kicked mine off with Dutch Sinterklaas day December 5, Hanukkah is (tonight) December 12, and Christmas is December 25th, Boxing Day is December 26, Kwanza December 26 – January 1 2018. These are just a sampling of meaningful events. Then there is “Festivus” the holiday that was created (basically) for fun and made popular by the television sitcom 

Seinfeld. It was created as a way to celebrate December holidays without dedicating any day to just one tradition and avoiding any pressures that come with holiday celebrations. 

How about joining me and share about your favorite holiday traditions, food, music etc.  :santa: 

Papakid kicked off the musical side of the holidays for me with his post: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/41446/what-are-you-listening-to/?p=4399331

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:02 PM

An old favorite of mine.

Edited by The-Toolman, 14 December 2017 - 07:20 AM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,827 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:47 PM

As a US Navy veteran, I have spent more than a few holidays away from home, defending the freedoms we all enjoy.  Each year my thoughts go out to all those soldiers who are not able to spend time during the holidays with their loved ones.  May we all take just a moment to remember them and why they are where they are for without their courage and honor,  none would be able to celebrate ANY holidays.

#4 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:49 AM

87c0288675adbf5918840dfab29ebc93--god-bl

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:17 PM

What no one is in the Christmas Spirit?

WOW what a bummer for you who aren't.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#6 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:34 PM

Mr. T....let the celebrating continue! :santa:  Great fun that you posted the Grinch song! My great nieces will see the San Diego Grinch performance tomorrow...they LOVE it!  (A L V I N..........lots of childhood memories with that one...let me hold my ears!)

My biggest concern is that I'll not crash my cable hard drive with all of the holiday shows I'm recording!  :lmao: For those who would be interested in holiday movies, here's a program guide for what's lined uphttp://www.countryliving.com/life/entertainment/news/a45454/christmas-tv-movies-guide/.  

White Christmas, Sung by The Drifters. Cartoon by Joshua Held.

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:13 AM

Hello softeyes,

My family loves the holidays and we celebrate them to the full and at Christmas our house is stuff with family and friends and the food is too much to mention. 

I have most of the classic old Christmas TV movies and shows and have Christmas music playing from the day after Thanksgiving through Christmas Day. 

We have Christmas gatherings / dinners at our Church we attend and since the wife and I are both retired this year we can have fun at them.

We are just old fashioned and corny and that is A-OK.  :thumbup2:

Toolman  :wink:

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:58 AM

An all time favorite.

#9 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

Hi Mr. T! I quite like your traditions surrounding the holidays! IMO there's nothing wrong with old fashioned and being corny, enjoy every minute!

Here's a really awesome share out. A dear friend of mine will gather his family on Christmas morning. The children will receive gifts, all will eat breakfast, then shortly after everyone goes to a homeless shelter to work in the kitchen or serve food to the needy, some times up to 200 folks! This tradition of theirs really warms my heart  :love4u:

Now then, if you do have someone begging to give you a gift and they want to know what's on your wish list, give them this link (The 2017 Ars Technica gadget gift guide: Power-user edition) 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/12/the-2017-ars-technica-gadget-gift-guide-power-user-edition/2/

Here's a Christmas song released October 17, 2011...years from now Bieber will be remembered like I do Bing!

#10 kitsune

kitsune

• Members
  • 441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:18 PM

Taeyeon - This Christmas

#11 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:44 AM

The opening shot in the War on Christmas.

1.14a- Supplemental The War on Christmas

After the Puritans came to power they tried to abolish Christmas. Seriously.

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/c/c/8/cc8c9a0994371295/Supplemental-_The_War_on_Christmas.mp3?d13a76d516d9dec20c3d276ce028ed5089ab1ce3dae902ea1d01c0803ed2cf55962a&c_id=6580300

Edited by Bezukhov, 18 December 2017 - 08:44 AM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#12 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:19 PM

Here’s a heartwarming story about one young man who I think epitomizes the Christmas spirit of giving: Meet Campbell Remess.

(From CNN Heroes December 16, 2017, From coding to literacy: These youth are changing the game)

When Campbell Remess was 9 years old, he asked his parents if he could buy Christmas presents for the children in his local hospital.

His mother told him that it would cost too much. But Campbell, one of nine children whose family lives on the Australian island of Tasmania, was undeterred. He took matters into his own hands -- literally.

He founded Project 365 by Campbell, and using his mother's sewing machine, started crafting one-of-a-kind teddy bears to give to sick children in the hospital and around the world. Now 13 years old, Campbell has made between 1,200 and 1,400 bears by hand. This year, he began auctioning some of his bears and using the proceeds to send children and their families on "Kindness Cruises," a much-needed escape from their battles with cancer.

"I think the magic in the bears is the hope," he said. "It's the hope that the bears give the people."

More about Campbell: https://project365.org/media/

171211133511-01-young-wonder-campbell-re

Photo credit CNN Young Wonders

#13 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:57 PM

image.jpg

Another touching story I just love, about more goodness that takes place at Christmas, this story involves remembering and acknowledging our veterans. I hope you like it too.

Wreaths Across America (Meet Morrill Worcester)

The company: http://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/our-story

Remember. Honor. Teach. <-Snip of the story>

In 2008, over 300 locations held wreath-laying ceremonies in every state, Puerto Rico and 24 overseas cemeteries. Over 100,000 wreaths were placed on veterans’ graves. Over 60,000 volunteers participated. And that year, December 13, 2008 was unanimously voted by the US Congress as “Wreaths Across America Day”.

In 2014, Wreaths Across America and its national network of volunteers laid over 700,000 memorial wreaths at 1,000 locations in the United States and beyond, including ceremonies at the Pearl Harbor Memorial, as well as Bunker Hill, Valley Forge and the sites if the September 11 tragedies. This was accomplished with help from 2,047 fundraising groups, corporate contributions, and donations of trucking, shipping, and thousands of helping hands. The organization's goal of covering Arlington National Cemetery was met in 2014 with the placement of 226,525 wreaths.

The wreath-laying is still held annually, on the second or third Saturday of December. WAA's annual pilgrimage from Harrington, Maine to Arlington National Cemetery has become known as the world’s largest veterans’ parade, stopping at schools, monuments, veterans’ homes and communities all along the way to remind people how important it is to remember, honor and teach.

Additional videos continue to play after the one that I have embedded. 

Do you have any stories about selfless acts during the holidays? 

#14 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:02 PM

An all time favorite.

Ah, the video was removed by the user. I don't remember what the video held, remind us what it was and maybe there's another one to download?  :santa:

#15 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:17 AM

Good grief, Charlie Brown, this thread was not meant to be a “blog”….let’s wrap it up.

Christmas is not as much about opening our presents as opening our hearts.

~ Janice Maeditere

Who has an open heart?

selflesself.jpg

Who is a selfless elf? 

For me, that would be the folks from BleepingComputer, who in my eyes have generous hearts and offer selfless giving all throughout the year.

Grinler, staff members,(and of course, every contributing member, I feel that

you are the most wonderful gift. Thank you and happy holidays.

b8d0af04ae1e61a1032fcfa7b8e96f19.gif

softeyes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users