Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to recover a bad hard drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 omgPC

omgPC

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:59 PM

I have a 2 TB disk that is only showing 3.86 GB unallocated. The disk was working fine earlier, I just installed windows 10 on it and I took it out to put in another pc so I can copy some files over. The old computer didn't recognize it and it wanted to initialize it. I click okay, and now it is not working correctly. I shouldn't of initialized it... =(

I tried partition recovery, using diskpart to clean it but nothing.

I don't need to recover any files on this disk. I just want to be able to use it again. I can't make any new partition and the disk only show 3.86 GB, I don't know what happen to the rest of the 2 TB.
I tried creating new partition or even initializing the disk again but I get "The Request could not be performed because of an i/o device error"
https://imgur.com/a/rAa0A Not sure why it is only showing 4142 MB, it is a 2 TB.

Since this is a seagate drive, even the seaTools for windows is showing 3.86GB

Edited by omgPC, 12 December 2017 - 09:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:14 PM

To make sure the disk is beyond hope lets see its SMART data:

https://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

Just load the screenshot when you are ready.

if the SMART data is fine then you may have to use non windows tools to make this work, maybe gparted can help:

https://gparted.org/livecd.php

If you can use the windows partition tool then gparted should be no problem to use.

Just make a boot image of its .iso rather it be a USB stick or otherwise and you may be able to get your hard disk back on track.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,243 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:18 PM

I would try to use MiniTool Partition Editor to Wipe the drive, because you said you don't need any files on it.

I like Madman's idea above to check the smart values first, but I was posting as he was and did not see it until I was done.  I do prefer MiniTool over gparted in windows environments.

Edited by pcpunk, 12 December 2017 - 11:27 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 omgPC

omgPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:16 AM

https://imgur.com/a/X7cDc

The drive is probably no good huh.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,281 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:07 AM

I would try to use MiniTool Partition Editor to Wipe the drive, because you said you don't need any files on it.

I like Madman's idea above to check the smart values first, but I was posting as he was and did not see it until I was done.  I do prefer MiniTool over gparted in windows environments.

Yeah so maybe the gparted solutiion will help. After all windows may just be having a error of some kind with hard disk identification.

Gparted is non windows as its live image is based on linux (if you use android or know what a chromebook is those are linux based) and linux can do some magic tricks.

Mini tool is too windows based, I prefer gparted.

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 December 2017 - 01:09 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 omgPC

omgPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:32 AM

I tried gparted, lot's of I/O errors.

Error fsyncing/closing/sda: input/output error. Even with clicking retry, it does nothing. I think it's gone. Thanks for the help! 

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,281 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:33 AM

Yeah doesnt look good then.

Sorry about that :(

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:43 AM

That drive uses 4096 byte (advanced format) sectors and translates it using 512E (emulation). As such, the PC you connect it to MUST support 512E or 4096 byte sectors in both the BIOS and the operating system or you are in very deep kimchi.
The result of having connected it to a PC that did not support those requirements and formatting it has corrupted the firmware and, short of sending it to someplace that can fix that firmware problem, you are completely scr*wed.
So, if there are no files you need recovered from the drive, call it toast and buy another drive.
On modern drives, the firmware is generally both in the chips on the logic board AND out in the "system area" of the media itself. We cannot know which (or both) got corrupted; but, we do know that it is corrupted and, short of several hundred dollars to replace the damaged firmware, it is done and won't ever work again.
The 3TB version of the same drive, BTW, is now named in a class action lawsuit for its inordinate failure rate.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,653 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

This would be a last ditch effort which I doubt will work because of the I/O errors but it's worth a try. 

Boot a linux distro and use the hdparm command. Make sure you are selecting the correct device. You don't want to be doing this you to your drive with data. In fact it may be best to detach all drives other than this 2TB drive. This terminal command is available on Gparted live. 

To reset the drive back to default would be

# hdparm --dco-restore /dev/sdx 

Where sdx is the 2TB drive. If this is the only drive attached it would be sda

--dco-restore
Reset all drive settings, features, and accessible capacities back to factory defaults and full capabilities. This command will fail if DCO is frozen/locked, or if a -Np maximum size restriction has also been set. This is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and will very likely cause massive loss of data. DO NOT USE THIS COMMAND.

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/hdparm.8.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 December 2017 - 10:31 AM.

#10 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:41 AM

I think that may be worth a shot; but, the drive NEEDS to be connected to the PC that it worked in, not the one that messed it up!
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users