Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HitmanPro.Alert evidently causes laptop to be unbootable

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:09 PM

A many thanks to any and all in advance to any responses, especially of assistance and so on.  I am also much obliged to the site, its admins, owner and whoever else for hosting such a platform for intrinsic and extrinsic help.

After just finishing a thread in the "windows crashes..." section, I am posting here because it was discovered that my older laptop would no longer boot into normal mode with Hitman.Pro Alert running.  The laptop is slightly (I joke) obsolete as its OS is Vista (!) 

(edit: I should note that I uninstalled HMP in safe mode, then restarted my laptop and reinstalled it; however, my laptop failed to boot.  Consequently, I uninstalled it again.)

With that said, if any bleeping expert would be so kind and willing to reply and try to elucidate upon the issue of HMP preventing my laptop, I would be most grateful.

Thank you, bleeping members and bleepingcomputer. 

Happy holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukkah/Hannukah/Chanukah/Channukah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Festivus, Happy New Year and any other "holiday."

Edited by Without_A_Monitor, 12 December 2017 - 07:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:07 PM

Have you reported the issue to Sophos which now owns all SurfRight/HitmanPro products?You can also report issues, ask questions and make suggestions in these topics where the developers provides assistance.Erik Loman (erikloman), Edwin Engels (eengels) and Mark Loman (markloman) are SurfRight Reps. who visit BC on occasion to answer questions and provide assistance. You can try contacting them directly.
- Edwin can be contacted directly by email at edwin@surfright.com
- Erik can be contacted directly by email at erik@surfright.nl
- Mark Loman can be contacted directly by email at mark@surfright.com

As SurfRight Reps, they would be far more familiar with any issues encountered using HitmanPro than any of our staff or forum members. Each has been very helpful to every one I have referred to contact them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:19 PM

Thank you very much as always for your quick and insightful response, quietman.

I have yet to report it to Sophos.  I was and am considering to contact SurfRight/Sophos personnel and notify them of the aforesaid issue.  I will most likely read (and post in) the two threads, which you so helpfully linked.

I'll also attempt to contact the aforementioned SurfRight Reps.

Much obliged once again.  Have a terrific evening.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:44 AM

You're welcome and good luck.

BTW...with ransomware protection improvements in Emsisoft and Malwarebytes, I removed HMP.Alert some time ago.

#5 wooly mammoth

wooly mammoth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:12 PM

(deleted)

Edited by wooly mammoth, 15 December 2017 - 11:13 PM.

#6 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:13 PM

Much thanks, Mr. Bleepin Janitor.

Haha, that seems to be a reasonable decision and action if I may attempt to judge so, although my knowledge is (much more) limited (than yours.)

I do not use Malwarebytes paid for version; however, perhaps, I shall invest in due time.

I would probably remove it as well, except that due to Vista not serving exactly as a "premium" OS, EAM runs as an older version that is still compatible with an anti-virus since Emsisoft no longer updates the program (version) for VIsta.  Consequently, I run with EAM with ESET NOD32 for real time protection in addition to Cryptoprevent.

The aforesaid info is unimportant banter, but I shall heed to your word on Malwarebytes in the near present I think.

Have a magnificent weekend.

#7 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:37 AM

Hi, Without_A_Monitor!

Please note that according to the software requirements, although Malwarebytes 3 Premium does still support Windows Vista, the anti-ransomware protection component is only available on Windows 7 or higher.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 16 December 2017 - 07:52 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:47 AM

...Consequently, I run with EAM with ESET NOD32 for real time protection in addition to Cryptoprevent.

ESET uses multiple layers of technologies (HIPS, Advanced Memory Scanner, Exploit Blocker, ESET LiveGrid Reputation System) and an enhanced Botnet Protection module that blocks communication between ransomware and Command and Control (C&C) servers to protect computers from ransomware (crypto malware).

KB3433_ESET%20antiransomware%20technolog

#9 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 690 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:44 AM

Hi, quietman7!

Given that the OP would only get partial protection, i.e. not anti-ransomware protection, do you see any benefit for him to purchasing Malwarebytes 3 Premium?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 17 December 2017 - 11:47 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:51 PM

The anti-malware, anti-exploit and malicious website protection components in Malwarebytes will still help block and remove both known and unknown threats. Prevention is better than reacting after the fact.

#11 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 690 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:30 AM

Hi again, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

Yes, of course, or as Orange Blossom formulates it; "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Great, then the OP should go ahead and purchase Malwarebytes 3 Premium. :thumbup2:

He should also note that Malwarebytes offers an instant 25% discount when purchasing a 2 years subscription license with subsequent annual renewal.

And, if he would like to strengthen his anti-spyware and malicious website protection, he should consider adding SpywareBlaster Free and for protection against Potentially Unwanted Programs there is Unchecky.

Anyway, I wish him good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 18 December 2017 - 12:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users