Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems making working/error-free image: Macrium, Imagex

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ray5450

ray5450

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

I am trying to make a partition backup of Windows Vista.  I have tried with both Macrium and Imagex (Version:  6.1.7600.16385) and get the same results.  I prefer to use Imagex because it is faster to restore and the image file is a lot smaller.  Here are 5 things I have tried, again same results for both:

Made the image without any pretreatment of original system drive.

Result:  When rebooting the restored image, it gets stuck in what I would call a boot loop:  machine boots to logo screen, shuts down, reboots, etc., etc.  A view of BCD shows osdevice and device entries as "unknown".

I found a site where someone suggested that to boot a Vista image, add these to BCD before making the image:
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device boot
bcdedit /set {default} device boot
bcdedit /set {default} osdevice boot

Result:  After making and restoring the image, it did boot without the loop behavior that I previously described.  After booting, the osdevice and device BCD entries said "boot".  However, the system had these problems:  a) In System Protection, there are 2 c: drives listed there.  One says "system", and the other says "missing", b ) I think that, "a)", causes the installation of most programs to receive "Warning 1909  Could not create Shortcut", and probably multiple other problems that I did not find, c) sfc says it finds corrupt files that it cannot repair, but the log file shows no corruptions, d) I think probably the printer driver error that occurs.  (I've learned on this site how to fix a-c of these after the fact, but obviously, I want to make an image without any of these issues.)

I made a backup/export of the BCD file from the original sytem drive that I made the image.  After restoring the image, I imported that backup.

Result:    This caused boot looping behavior again, and the osdevice and device BCD entries were again changed (somehow) to "unknown".

I deleted the BCD file and rebuilt it from scratch before making the image, wherein I entered "device partition=c:" and "osdevice partition=c:".  I forgot to check/verify the BCD entries after booting to know if they changed.

Result:  Same as #2 above.

I deleted the BCD file and rebuilt it from scratch after restoring the image.  I checked/verified that the BCD entries were exactly correct as I entered them--they were correct.  (I therefore, would assume that in #4 they were also correct.)

Result: Same as #2

Is there a way to do this without these issues?  Thanks.

Edited by ray5450, 12 December 2017 - 02:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:21 AM

There is no solution?

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:54 AM

There is no solution?

I'm not sure what happened.  Can you post a screenshot via Windows Disk Management?  Possibly a dumb question set:

-- where is your boot partition?

-- where is your OS partition?

-- where is your Data partition?

-- where is your backup stored?  or, where are your backups stored?

IF you are storing "live" backups on an internal or external hard-drive that was plugged in during any form of Windows boot fix, your hard-drives may be "fighting for control".

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

Thank-you, for your response.

Screenshot:  do you mean a screenshot "of" the Windows Disk Management window, and if so, do you mean showing the original drive, ...or showing the restored copy with all the problems?  While the drive in question is on an external connection, or internal?

Partition locations:  will the screenshot show you that information?  If not, in what context would I answer?  (you could give an example).

The image backup files are on either an external drive, or another partition of the internal drive.  I've had it both ways.

I don't know what you mean by "live backup".

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:10 PM

A snapshot of the partitions of your internal and external hard-drives, SSDs with expanded fields.

Even though my firewall will not allow me to see the snapshot -- others in here just might give you a solution based on what they see.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:55 PM

I have tried with both Macrium and Imagex (Version:  6.1.7600.16385) and get the same results.
...view of BCD shows osdevice and device entries as "unknown".

You have a problem in your computer. First thought: disable your antivirus and especially the firewall. Macrium Reflect will make an image of anything you want it to, I regularly use the free edition to backup & restore Windows XP, 7 and 10 without a hiccup. Vista is no different.

I suggest you run a test on your memory, and your hard drive and power supply.

In M.Reflect: in the config. screen, place checks in the system partition and the primary partition, and create and image (as opposed to a clone). See if that helps.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:02 PM

As far as interference from antivirus, etc., I did the image creation and restore from a DVD boot to make sure there would be no such interferences.  However.....

I FOUND SOMETHING....

Your questions about viewing the partitions made me think to investigate something I hadn't thought of before.  I had a previos Vista machine that was a Compaq.  The manufacturer install discs deleted all the partitions and made its own, which, by the way, I did not like it doing that.  This current machine is an Acer and I had just assumed that it behaved the same, but I just found that it does not.  My original drive that I am copying, I had used previously for a Windows 7 machine.  I had erased the data on the partitions, but I did not delete the partitions, assuming that the install would take care of all that.  I now noticed that the empty partitions were still there along with the partition that Windows installed on.  I deleted all the partitions, and created 1 new partition (not the whole size of the drive) to see what would happen.  Unlike the Compaq install, the Acer install discs left the partition that I created and installed Windows there.  (What it had been doing before is intalling on one of the empty partitions.)  I then made an image with Macrium, and restored it to another drive. 

The resulting restored image does not have the sfc problem, the BCD entries are the same as the original, the software that would cause the 1909 error installed without the error, the extra c: entry under System Protection is gone, AND the printer works.  That covers everything that I knew of.

The question is, why would these empty partitions cause all these problems?

Thanks.

Edited by ray5450, 20 December 2017 - 02:07 PM.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:59 PM

"...empty partitions were still there..."  Are these partitions reported as empty by Windows Explorer?  Or, by another 3rd party viewer?  I ask because Explorer cannot "read" those partitions.  Something like Acronis Disk Director or anything similar will read and deliver to your eyes what is in those partitions.

#9 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:36 PM

They were empty because I did a format on each one.  There were actually 3 empty partitions, but 2 were too small to fit Windows, so the install discs used the largest one, and left the other 2 as is.  What I thought was happening was that it was deleting all the partitions, creating one, and then installing Windows.

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:13 PM

The only time that I had any problem with Reflect restoring was when I restored to a new HDD (the old one had failed, but fortunately the client had made regular backups). I assumed that, since she had made image backups of the system partition and the main partition, the partitions would be restored as well and the OS and data. So I did not bother creating a new partition and formatting the new drive, just used it straight from the box. Reflect stalled-out and would not restore until I finally created one (1) new partition and formatted it. Then the restore went smoothly, both the system and main partitions. I am not sure if that exactly applies to your situation, but try creating one (1) new partition encompassing the entire drive and format, then restore your backup and see if that helps.

Also, make sure that you are not restoring to a smaller size drive from a larger one; eg: from a 500gig drive to a 120gig drive. Possibly the 3 currently existing partitions are causing problems with the restore.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#11 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:34 PM

Yes, that is what I did already.  I posted it in #7 above.  I also explained what I did differently to make it work.  That is what it was...to delete the existing parititons and create a new one.  From my experience, I will not have to delete the current partions that I just made if I need to reinstall the image.  There was just something about the previous 3 that I already deleted that was causing this issue.

It sounds like you are also saying that you had to create a partition for Macrium to restore to.  That's strange, because in the past, I also thought that I had to pre-create and format a partition for Macrium to restore to, but it would not work--upon boot of the restored image, it said "No operating system found."  I had to delete the partion first and let Macrium create it.  See here: 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/602507/macrium-reflectno-operating-system-found/

Edited by ray5450, 22 December 2017 - 07:35 PM.

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:43 AM

This is what confused me:

Post #7:  The question is, why would these empty partitions cause all these problems?

...  I deleted all the partitions, and created 1 new partition (not the whole size of the drive)

Just a thought....did you image the main C:// and also the system partition together when you did the backup? That might be a factor. When restoring, did you boot with the Macrium Reflect restore disk that you created and did the restore from there?

#13 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 02:41 PM

On the original drive that I imaged, there was only one partition (c:).  There were no other partitions.  Diskpart showed only one.

Yes, I restored using the Macrium boot disk.

#14 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

On the original drive that I imaged, there was only one partition (c:)

What I meant to ask is if there was one NTFS formatted partition encompassing 100% of the entire disk on the hard drive (or SSD) that you were restoring to. IOW, was the target HDD formatted with one full partition formatted in NTFS?

Post #11:

It sounds like you are also saying that you had to create a partition for Macrium to restore to

That is correct.

#15 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 07:42 PM

The target drive was not the problem.  All the problems were solved without changing anything on the target drive.  If you are asking for some other reason, then no, there is not one partition on the target drive, there are 2 and both are ntfs formatted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users