Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limewire Sues Riaa For Antitrust

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:31 AM

Last month, the RIAA sued Limewire after Limewire wouldn't agree to simply roll over and pretend the RIAA's interpretation of the Supreme Court decision in the Grokster case was actually what the Supreme Court said. The court actually said that services could be found liable, if they were shown to actively induce infringement. The RIAA and the MPAA pretended this meant that any file sharing network that had unauthorized content was flat-out illegal. Of course, that's a bit of a stretch

but now Limewire has hit back even harder with counterclaims accusing the RIAA of antitrust violations, consumer fraud and other misconduct.
http://techdirt.com/articles/20060925/230637.shtml

Edited by no one, 26 September 2006 - 08:33 AM.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 01:10 PM

This could be big. A defining moment for music distribution. Or it could just fizzle out in a settlement.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 no one

no one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:19 PM

I figured it was just a matter of time before somebody got fed up with them (riaa).

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#4 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 03:21 PM

I hope Limewire wins. I'm sick and tired of the RIAA bullying everyone around with their hoards of lawyers. :thumbsup:

The filesharing networks don't always have control over the content that appears there. They try to deter it through various means, but they can't be held responsible for what the users share. If you want to stop music and movie theft, don't shut down the networks that are trying to cooperate; that will just make everything worse by driving it underground. Or, like Limewire, they will retaliate. :flowers:

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:47 PM

I hope Limewire wins too! You don't keep your customers around but suing them. You keep them around by encouraging them to use alternative means.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users