Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! After updating BIOS my Computer is stuck at mobo's splash screen!

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 alienwarez

alienwarez

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:32 AM

I have Gigabyte P35-S3 rev1.0 motherboard and I was running F4 bios on it and I wanted to update its BIOS to the latest version 'F8' but when I flashed it to F8 then it became unstable so I cleared CMOS and Boot into Q-Flash utility and updated my BIOS to F7 but these BIOS also didn't allow to boot up Windows so I again cleared CMOS and boot into Q-Flash utility and updated to 'F6' BIOS but these BIOS just killed my system and now I am stuck at startup splash screen and I cannot boot into Q-Flash utility because it hangs at splash screen and no keyboard key works. I tried clearing the CMOS by removing battery and putting a jumper as I did earlier but this time it won't work. Any help would be appreciated.

I already tried disconnecting several resources like Graphics card, Hard Disk, Rams etc and also clear CMOS but problem didn't solve.

My Specs:

Intel Pentium Core2Duo E6750 2.66GHZ

RAM:2GB

Graphics Card: nVidia 8800GT

You can see attachments for more info.

Attached File  20171211_150512.jpg   77.94KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20171211_150409.jpg   173.7KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:42 AM

Try a powercycle. Pull your power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord and boot. 

Did you disable intel's CPU virtualization if it was enabled before flashing the BIOS?

On another computer download Rufus. Attach a flash drive and select MBR in the partition scheme. In the dropdown box select FreeDos where is says iso image. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive as it will be deleted.

Attach the flash drive to the Gigabyte MB and power on. Does it boot to FreeDos? If not reboot the computer and at the same time tap F12 for a boot menu.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 December 2017 - 09:53 AM.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:27 PM

first I would unplug all device's  HDD, DVD/cd drives and make sure it's not a drive causing you to hang at the splash screen.  a bad HDD will cause this to happen.

then try booting to the recovery screen.  but if it is actually a hdd causing your boot issues, then it probably the hdd causing whatever problem that made you want to flash the bios in the first place.

so why did you do the bios upgrade in the first place?

also you made sure you grabbed the correct v1.0 bios and not the v2.0 motherboard bios.

you should never update a bios unless it address's a specific problem your having.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I browsed the manual and nothing was said about a bios recovery mode so you may have to call gigabyte and get it warrantied if it's still under warranty.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:51 PM

Funny; I used the same board in my own PC for almost seven years....
But; that system board has PS/2 ports for both the keyboard (purple) and the mouse (light green). Because many older BIOS' defaulted to not having USB Legacy option enabled by default, you may have no choice in the matter but to lay your hands on a PS/2 keyboard (and no, most newer USB keyboards will not work with a PS/2 adapter), plug it in with the PC off, turn the PC on, and then change the USB legacy setting in the BIOS using the PS/2 keyboard. Afterwards, the USB keyboard should start working.
I'll also mention that I was running the f8 BIOS and had no trouble for years; but, I never overclock because I want reliability more than speed.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 alienwarez

alienwarez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:36 AM

To JohnC_21

I am not a novice user but I haven't done CPU powercycling before. Please guide me more about it and share links/video in which cpu powercycling is taught.

And I don't know that CPU virtualization was enabled or not?
but I flashed bios F8 and F7 successfully on it before but when I flashed F6 Bios then it is stuck at this screen and no keyboard key is working. I cannot enter BIOS/Recovery/Boot Menu.

#6 alienwarez

alienwarez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:42 AM

To mightymiz

I have already tried disconnecting other peripherals including DVD/HDD/Graphics card but I am still getting the same result.

The reason for flashing latest BIOS is that my old BIOS didn't detect Flash drive which was fixed in latest BIOS as mentioned on Gigabyte's website. That is why I wanted to fix it.
And it is not under warranty and one interesting thing is that there is no Gigabyte store or franchise in my city.

#7 alienwarez

alienwarez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:46 AM

To DavisMcCam

I am happy to hear that you used this motherboard for over seven years but mine couldn't last for 2 years and your trick to use PS/2 keyboard looks interesting but I was able to use USB keyboard before flashing BIOS on this screen. Moreover, it is difficult to find old PS/2 keyboard in market.

And Unfortunately F8 BIOS didn't work for me. It was stuck at Windows startup screen when I flashed F8 BIOS.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:35 AM

Hi,

If you disconnect the HDD and keep the CD/DVD don't press any key after starting the machine did you see any indication that the machine is trying to boot? any error message about missing boot device or something like that?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:45 AM

Many (not all) BIOS updates will revert the BIOS to its default settings and, if the older BIOS expects the keyboard to be using the PS/2 port, you may well be scr*wed until you get one and can change the setting.
$8.04: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Inland-PS-2-Keyboard-70011/142562657086?epid=141794679&hash=item213165833e:g:ktsAAOSwhpZZ-3D4:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!28104!US!-1
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,029 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:56 AM

Try a powercycle. Pull your power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord and boot. 

Did you disable intel's CPU virtualization if it was enabled before flashing the BIOS?

On another computer download Rufus. Attach a flash drive and select MBR in the partition scheme. In the dropdown box select FreeDos where is says iso image. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive as it will be deleted.

Attach the flash drive to the Gigabyte MB and power on. Does it boot to FreeDos? If not reboot the computer and at the same time tap F12 for a boot menu.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

I'm going to drop out of the thread as there are already multiple responses that may help. Intel calls it Hyper-Threading.

From your MB manual

A. Before You Begin: 1. If your system supports Intel® Hyper-Threading technology, disable this function in BIOS Setup

In regards to powercycling I offered it as a possible way to reinitialize the computer though the chances would be small.

Are you able to boot a USB flash drive? It may be possible to reflash the MB if you can get a USB flash drive to boot.

#11 alienwarez

alienwarez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:59 AM

Hi,

If you disconnect the HDD and keep the CD/DVD don't press any key after starting the machine did you see any indication that the machine is trying to boot? any error message about missing boot device or something like that?

Hi SleepyDude, I tried that too but it didn't work for me. I don't get any error message regarding disconnection of Hard drive or any other resource.

#12 alienwarez

alienwarez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:02 AM

Many (not all) BIOS updates will revert the BIOS to its default settings and, if the older BIOS expects the keyboard to be using the PS/2 port, you may well be scr*wed until you get one and can change the setting.
$8.04: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Inland-PS-2-Keyboard-70011/142562657086?epid=141794679&hash=item213165833e:g:ktsAAOSwhpZZ-3D4:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!28104!US!-1

Hey DavisMcCarn, I am sure that problem is not of keyboard because it jams (stops) at this screen because otherwise it should automatically move to the next screen if no keyboard key is pressed or if it doesn't detect keyboard. So, buying a PS/2 keyboard won't solve the problem.

#13 alienwarez

alienwarez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

Are you able to boot a USB flash drive? It may be possible to reflash the MB if you can get a USB flash drive to boot.

Hey JohnC, I have tried making bootable Flash using Rufus software by selecting FreeDOS and MBR partition scheme option but it also didn't do anything. As far as I remember, this mobo detects connected flash or other peripherals after it gets past this screen.

#14 alienwarez

alienwarez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:11 AM

I'm going to drop out of the thread as there are already multiple responses that may help. Intel calls it Hyper-Threading.

From your MB manual

Hey, kindly drop a link to thread or anyother website where I could learn about Powercycling/Hyperthreading.

#15 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:19 AM

so basically your only option to fix this board is to pull the bios chip and manually reprogram it or buy a blank bios chip and program it using a usb programmer and then placing it back on the board.

myself I have the tools and skills to do this.

but realistically if you can't do the repair yourself then it's just cheaper to buy a replacement board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users