Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase template: New PC for home business

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 chaostoday

chaostoday

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:43 PM

Laptop or Desktop? Desktop PC

My budget for the new computer is: $500. PC only. Don't need monitors, input devices or printers. Don't need anything other than OS.

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? ​Shipping, inventory management, photos, music and product photo editing. Will be used for online E-Commerce business. Less than 30K/ year in sales.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? ​Win 10, I have office 365, Paint Shop Pro X9, email, QuickBooks or similar.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? ​No Games

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? ​Close most of them. just leave multiple browsers open

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Yes. I currently use about 250GB for music and images.

Will you be overclocking? Not sure there is a benefit for me at this time.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? Ebay. Been looking at Asus M32-AS51 and M32-B12. I understand these are more towards gaming but like the graphics but not sure if I need a separate graphics card.

How many monitors are you planning to use? I run dual monitors all the time.

Do you need peripherals? OS? Just WIN 10. Not sure what version I need, Professional, home, etc. I run 2 networked business color laser MF printers.

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? I have a user built AMD A10-6800 4.10GHZ PC with 8GB of DDR3 RAM. MSI FM2-A85XMA-E35 (MS-7721) (P0) Motherboard. I run Win 10 Pro 64bit. I have two 250GB HDD's. My main partition is completely full and affecting my performance. I need a 1 TB HDD so I can maneuver better for work. some processes seem very slow and I'm sure my older memory is an issue.

​I'm not happy with the performance, slow start up and HDD and memory limitations. Thinking a newer PC could heal some old wounds. Am I wrong?

Thanks for all you do!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:43 AM

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? I have a user built AMD A10-6800 4.10GHZ PC with 8GB of DDR3 RAM. MSI FM2-A85XMA-E35 (MS-7721) (P0) Motherboard. I run Win 10 Pro 64bit. I have two 250GB HDD's. My main partition is completely full and affecting my performance. I need a 1 TB HDD so I can maneuver better for work. some processes seem very slow and I'm sure my older memory is an issue.

​I'm not happy with the performance, slow start up and HDD and memory limitations. Thinking a newer PC could heal some old wounds. Am I wrong?

Thanks for all you do!!!!

Upgrade that machine with following parts:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qnCrxr/adata-256gb-25-solid-state-drive-asu900ss-256gm-c

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CbL7YJ/seagate-barracuda-2tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st2000dm006

That should do the trick unless you are short of main memory. In that case, put 2*8GB RAM too.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,374 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:59 PM

If you built this machine then the suggestion of Drillingmachine of upgrading to a Solid State Drive (SSD), you might want to go with the 512GB version for $179. and adding a larger mechanical drive, again you might want to go up to the 4TB for $99, might make more sense than purchasing a new machine.  Since you're replacing drives you should be able to install the same Windows 10 license on the machine.

If you go this route disconnect all of the drives currently connect and only install the SSD.  Install Windows.  Install your software.  Shutdown and connect the rest of the drives.  Copy the data that you need to the SSD.  Copy data you want to store to the mechanical drive.  With a larger mechanical drive you could also back up the SSD, or just your data, to it.

#4 chaostoday

chaostoday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for the awesome suggestions. My feeling was that you would recommend upgrading my existing machine. I was a wind 7 user who got the free upgrade and now feel I will have to purchase a new copy of windows 10 which will increase the upgrade price more. I also feel the memory is needed to make this machine hum like it should.
Any thoughts on the windows?
Where do I keep my music and pictures? Im sure the mechanical 1-4TB but when I back up a phone or something on iTunes will that be an issue if iTunes is on the SSD with windows but all my music is on the mechanical drive???

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:59 PM

How much memory is used now? Check task manager.

Keep music and pictures on mechanical HDD. That iTunes thing shouldn't be an issue, unless iTunes is so bad software it requires everything to be on single drive.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 12 December 2017 - 03:59 PM.

#6 chaostoday

chaostoday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:32 AM

31% when just running edge and no other programs.

What do I do about windows 10 reinstall?

#7 RecursiveNerd

RecursiveNerd

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:02 AM

I've successfully followed the steps outlined in this article by creating a Windows 10 USB Drive and used my Windows 7 license - activated without problems. If you still have your Windows 7 license, it should work with the media creation tool.

#8 chaostoday

chaostoday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:47 AM

So with an SSD, mechanical HDD and some memory I'm looking at around $365. Im currently using almost half of my memory just running multiple tabs in Edge.

I also would like to upgrade my USB to be faster. I haven't checked to see the cost of that. Is this money worth it for a machine of this age? If so, I will pursue the upgrade immediately.

Thanks again.

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:47 AM

That upgrade sounds good. You already have USB 3.0. Where you need faster than that?

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

Don't forget to keep on making routine backups onto external media.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 chaostoday

chaostoday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:42 PM

That upgrade sounds good. You already have USB 3.0. Where you need faster than that?

I was under the impression that only one of my USB ports was 3.0 and the others were slower 2.0. I couldn't remember what my motherboard had on it.
I also saw a 512gb SSD Drive in the same brand on Amazon for $159. ADATA SU900. BTW why this particular brand and model SSD?

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:33 AM

There are two USB 3.0 ports on motherboard back panel and one USB 3.0 header (for two ports) on motherboard.

That 512GB SU900 is OK too. That is affordable MLC drive and I never recommend TLC drives. Another choice from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-BX300-480GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B073W4N5KB/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1513776767&sr=1-2-catcorr

#13 chaostoday

chaostoday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:09 PM

Thank you again so much. I bought the crucial you recommended and the Seagate 4TB mechanical drive.
As far as the memory goes can you please give a recommendation to upgrade my memory. I have 8GB of DDR3 now. Can I add another 8gb? Two more sticks of 4 giving me a total of 16GB? I think I have 4 slots. Is that correct? Crucial memory seems pricey but I will buy if you recommend.

#14 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:05 AM

You only have 2 DIMM slots and tbh 16GB DDR3 costs very much right now. If you won't overclock, virtually any memory brand is OK.

#15 chaostoday

chaostoday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 06:27 PM

I've successfully followed the steps outlined in this article by creating a Windows 10 USB Drive and used my Windows 7 license - activated without problems. If you still have your Windows 7 license, it should work with the media creation tool.

So I created Windows 10 media on a USB Drive. Hopefully this will allow me to change the drives on this machine to the SSD. I was going to disconnect all and just connect the SSD and boot with the media created on the USB drive. Hopefully this puts my version of Win 10 back on the new drive and I'm well on my way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users