Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need to buy a laser printer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Codaeus

Codaeus

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:51 PM

After a lot of research, I whittled down a list of 21 possible models to the two best that I can afford:

Brother HL-L6200DW

Canon ImageCLASS LBP251dw

I'm pretty sure the Brother will run on XP Pro, but I keep getting conflicting info on the Canon, and the company did not respond to my email. Can anyone tell for sure whether or not the Canon works for XP Pro? I like the Canon model better, but if it does not support my OS, then not much choice but to buy the Brother. Hope someone can help.

Edited by hamluis, 12 December 2017 - 07:16 AM.
Moved from XP to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:16 PM

The Brother has XP drivers. Canon does not supply the driver for XP. If a driver is available it would be included in XP which I highly doubt because the Canon has a USB port and XP really did not have drivers for printers using the USB connection. You can attempt to add a printer in XP and see if the canon model is on the list.

I think you may have more luck getting an answer on the Canon Printer Forum. Post the question in the Office Printer Forum.

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:49 PM

Your safest bet is the Brother printer as they will have drivers for almost everything including your phone.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 RecursiveNerd

RecursiveNerd

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:22 AM

I would agree with DavisMcCarn and get the Brother. I haven't had any complaints with mine (HL-L2340DW).

Do you need the higher capacity tray (570 sheets, expandable to 1600) that comes with the HLL6200? If not, you can save yourself some cash and get the L2340DW that I mentioned ($104 vs your $220). Either way, I don't think you'll be disappointed if you get a Brother.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:44 AM

I have a Brother HL-L6200DW for about a year, I bought it because of price.  So far it has been very good, the print quality is super and fast.  I am only on my third cartridge being a home user, it is quite cheap to operate as are all lasers.

Phil 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 charlzden

charlzden

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:28 AM

I agree on getting a Brother. Besides it is not a bad printer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users