Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC - Sudden Freezing/Monitor Going Blank - Defective Graphics Card?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 santino84

santino84

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:06 PM

I just bought a brand new Dell PC during BF. Processor is an AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, video card is AMD Radeon RX570. Was pretty excited as I have not had a gaming capable PC in many years. However my excitement has been dampened so far by some issues.

Specifically, when I am browsing the internet the computer will sometimes appear to suddenly freeze, then a second or so later the monitor goes blank and then returns after about 3-4 seconds, and the computer is live again. Sometimes the screen will glitch out, but this is far less frequent. I made the assumption that this is a video card issue and have been trying different AMD drivers, using third party software to completely wipe the old drivers to ensure no driver conflicts, etc, but the problem is persisting.

Any other suggestions for troubleshooting this? Possible that the graphics card is simply defective out of the box? Could it be something other than the video card?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:25 PM

Since this is a brand-new computer, I would immediately take it back and put it on the counter if purchased at a local retail store. Or if purchased online, immediately contact the vendor. Amazon or Newegg will take if back, and in the case of Newegg, usually pay the shipping if you call their 800 number. Most of these retail stores have a limited return policy for faulty equipment; if you let it lapse you will have to deal with Dell, and trust me, you don't want that. In addition, they will probably want you to ship it back to them and YOU pay the shipping and insurance on it, so now you have added probably $50-$70 to the cost of the computer. No new computer, especially with what I assume you paid for it (not cheap) should do this. It is their responsibility, not yours. And also...be very careful about doing anything that will void the warranty. Some manufacturers are so picky that even if you open the case it can void the warranty, so read your warranty carefully.

But why should you spend hours or days troubleshooting something that should work properly out of the box?

Edited by ranchhand_, 11 December 2017 - 07:27 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:27 PM

Does this system have a warranty?

Louis

#4 santino84

santino84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:41 PM

I purchased at Walmart.com and am still within the time range that a return is possible. Was hoping it might be a software fix or something so I could avoid the hassle of a return, but it sounds like that will be the best course of action. Thanks guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users